What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean ?

The Photo Gallery has always been there and is for members to put the photos up of the soap they have made, yet a lot of people put those photos in ' what soapy thing have you done today ', so the Photo Gallery is not being used as it should. What soapy thing started as more of a chat thing if you look at the beginning ,of what you have made, but then everyone started putting up photos of their soap there. I was just trying to remind members about the Gallery, it would be nice to see more photos loaded in there, that's all.
Well.....as a relatively new member, I have not actually visited the photo gallery....and didn’t know it was even there (I’m not computer savvy), and I’ve seen photos in this section.....had no idea it was intended for chat and not pics....oops!

Well, like I stated on another thread?, I acquired raccoon fat, rendered it 3 times til scentless clear and today I cooked it up at 160’ w/cocoa b, coconut oil, and diffused frankincense, myrrh & DB in canola oil. I’ve been making HP using yogurt & coconut cream at end. Used MMS Christmas tree, peppermint & N ‘leather’. Nice brown like a raccoon. I used some oil on my hands: was not greasy nor smelled. Wow! I love using different oils especially renewable! Ha! I also ate it in a beefy burrito shell w/ onions & enchilada sauce. Yum. Yes, I’m a little experimental. Loved teaching science in class.

I just unmolded the soap that had fallen out of the mold when I was first putting it in. In keeping with my finesse on this batch, I unmolded too early so it's dented and deformed and parts of it fell off and it's just...comically ugly.

BUT--rinsing my hands and the mold afterwards, I'm super excited for how it feels already. It's 50/50 olive oil and coconut, with 20% superfat, which I've never made before. Was lovely! I didn't think I was a bubble fiend, but I think I might be...

Crossing my fingers it hardens up to a nice texture and I love the final soap warts and all.

I haven't been able to do anything soapy since the new Animal Crossings game came out. :lol: But I will be back periodically to see everyone's pictures.
I wish I could play that but, I tend to get very dizzy with a lot of games these days.

For your sake, I hope so too and I hope this happens soon.

Experiment #9
I am almost out to tallow, have used it all up. The butcher says he will have more sebo next Tuesday, so I can make some more. In México this could take a little more time, a few more trips to the butcher than planned, we shall see. At least he didn't use the word "mañana" which means probably never.

I didn't have a pink colorant, I usually use Rose Clay but it is on order. So I grabbed a littls sprinkle of the cochinea from my dye room and powdered it up and let it sit for a couple of days in a tablespoon of water. A very small amount was plenty to color this batch. I will make it again with more titanium dioxide for a lighter pink.

This batch has goat's milk instead of water and is scented with a pachouly/bergamot/ geranium EO blend. I topped it off with two drops of real Rose Otto, it's pretty nice. For speckles, I used cranberry fiber. These aren't gallery type photos, they are working photos, only good to illustrate the text, I hope that is okay.] View attachment 44933 View attachment 44934

Your soaps look fantastic. I do hope someone told you "mañana" means "tomorrow" (unless I missed a joke, I'm good for that). Wish ya well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cut my latest batch, https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/latest-batch.78831/ and am officially researching cutters because I've had it with my inept cuts! Can't wait to use my favorite soap!

Also I tested what I've named "Third Place Winner" (seriously, I really am not bragging, I still can't believe I placed with super talented professionals I've watched for awhile!), https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/smf-february-2020-challenge-ione-swirl-entry-thread.78335/ . It's scented with peppermint/lavender/tea tree/cedarwood essential oils, which is heavenly. I did cut back on the peppermint but it still gives a hoo boy ! wake you up in the morning sensation in the shower!

First of all, Zing, I have to say that your essential oil blends sound amazing and I swoon just reading them. I want to use cedarwood EO but mine smells nasty and I am wondering where you buy yours, maybe it is better smelling than the two bottles I have but don't use.

Second, I spent some hours yesterday making another batch of tallow. It went pretty okay except that I cut my finger pretty good while separating the good fat from the bad before boiling. And, the butcher loaded me up with a bunch of sharp cut up bones that I did not need and that gave me a nasty disposal problem. This process still needs to be refined.

Fortunately I have a helper who can go bury all the leftover stuff in a field nearby....... but really! This was kind of intimidating and doesn't bode well for a lot of frequent repeat visits.

First of all, Zing, I have to say that your essential oil blends sound amazing and I swoon just reading them. I want to use cedarwood EO but mine smells nasty and I am wondering where you buy yours, maybe it is better smelling than the two bottles I have but don't use.

Second, I spent some hours yesterday making another batch of tallow. It went pretty okay except that I cut my finger pretty good while separating the good fat from the bad before boiling. And, the butcher loaded me up with a bunch of sharp cut up bones that I did not need and that gave me a nasty disposal problem. This process still needs to be refined.

Fortunately I have a helper who can go bury all the leftover stuff in a field nearby....... but really! This was kind of intimidating and doesn't bode well for a lot of frequent repeat visits.
Make bone broth/soup!

Yes, Adobehead, I sometimes find bone soup/broth even better than soup/broth from meat (and even that must have some bones in it). Also bones with marrow are usable. I'm meditating on making soap from bone marrow some day ...

First of all, Zing, I have to say that your essential oil blends sound amazing and I swoon just reading them. I want to use cedarwood EO but mine smells nasty and I am wondering where you buy yours, maybe it is better smelling than the two bottles I have but don't use..
I hate to be responsible for your swooning -- are you upright? :) I get cedarwood from Brambleberry. I never use it alone but use it as a base note in blends.

Well hello you! Nice to see you.

Today I made me some soaper's moonshine. AKA Oatmilk. I used up the last of mine from the freezer a couple weeks back, and I don't like to be caught short without it. Unfortunately the lockdown sees me a little low on motivation, so not much soap has been forthcoming.

Not been on and posted in a while iv been busy recently with all this virus going on. Iv paid for a fast tracked pre written soap assessment in order to be able to donate to our brave front line workers who are out there putting thier lives on the line to save and keep others lives safe! As a result of making this soap and making sure everything is all legally compliant i have needed a day off so while trying to use the palm oil i have left and to try keep my creative side active iv done a few swirled soaps too along with the plain donated soap. Its been a tough few weeks under lockdown.

Hope everyone is staying safe in this crazy time we are living through right now

Attachments

• 20200406_131742.jpg
    20200406_131742.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 36
Back