What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok here is the Hibiscus soap. I included the tops so you can see what color the actual Hibiscus petal powder was. In photos it looks almost black in the soap but in person its a very deep purple. Im curious to see if it fades as it cures.

View attachment 43591 View attachment 43592
That swirl looks great. I hope you will keep us posted on the color :)

Ok here is the Hibiscus soap. I included the tops so you can see what color the actual Hibiscus petal powder was. In photos it looks almost black in the soap but in person its a very deep purple. Im curious to see if it fades as it cures.

View attachment 43591 View attachment 43592

I added some powered hibiscus flowers to a batch of hp soap back in early October and the color does turn to a purple/brown color.

I made salt bars yesterday also. I used 75% salt this time, last time I made them I used 50%. I also used activated charcoal and the scent is an essential oil mixture called breathe. Have you heard of it? It's 20% Eucalyptus, 20% Peppermint, 20% Rosemary, 20% Lavender and 20% Lemon (I used lemongrass because I didn't have lemon). Let me tell you this mixture is to die for - WOW!
I might try them again and do it so I can cut them within the expected time frame. Question - when you say you used only50% of x% of the salt, what does that mean? Did you use50% 0f the amount recommended in the recipe? If so, what did you use to make up the difference?

The essential oil mixture sounds heavenly.

I made watermelon unicorn soap last night. Fragrance accelerated badly. I poured into cavity molds and I'm pretty sure I have huge air pockets. We'll see how they look when unmolding, but I'm betting I'll be doing these over with a different FO or doing a design that's acceleration friendly. (Sometimes the plan of attack matters.)

I might try them again and do it so I can cut them within the expected time frame. Question - when you say you used only50% of x% of the salt, what does that mean?

It is typically referring to the salt-to-oil ratio. So if the recipe has 1000 grams of oil, a 50% salt recipe would include 500g of salt. Some people go up to 100%, but I can't even imagine how tough that would be to stir. My 50% recipe was thick enough!

Also, I use cavity molds for my salt bars. That way, no cutting is needed, and there is no worry about unmolding too late, crumbly cuts, etc.

I might try them again and do it so I can cut them within the expected time frame. Question - when you say you used only50% of x% of the salt, what does that mean? Did you use50% 0f the amount recommended in the recipe? If so, what did you use to make up the difference?

The essential oil mixture sounds heavenly.
This time I used 75% of my oils. My oils were 30 ounces, so I used 22 1/2 ounces of pink Himalayan salt. You can use up to 100% of your oils. I used activated charcoal in these, so that’s why I only used 75% of the oils. I can’t wait for the cure to be over, 6 weeks (minimum) is a long time to wait!

I made watermelon unicorn soap last night. Fragrance accelerated badly. I poured into cavity molds and I'm pretty sure I have huge air pockets. We'll see how they look when unmolding, but I'm betting I'll be doing these over with a different FO or doing a design that's acceleration friendly. (Sometimes the plan of attack matters.)
Watermelon fragrance oil is known to rice and accelerate, its amazing you could mold them at all. I only use watermelon fragrance when I HP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watermelon fragrance oil is known to rice and accelerate, its amazing you could mold them at all. I only use watermelon fragrance when I HP.
This is the first time I've had it happen, and I've used other watermelon FO's without problem. I should have checked supplier notes before making the soap rather than after, lol. It's fully disclosed that it moves and to soap cool. I unmolded the soaps today and they're not nearly as bad as I thought, although not as perfect as I imagined. On the plus side they smell fantastic and the customer doesn't mind the gappy look.

This is the first time I've had it happen, and I've used other watermelon FO's without problem. I should have checked supplier notes before making the soap rather than after, lol. It's fully disclosed that it moves and to soap cool. I unmolded the soaps today and they're not nearly as bad as I thought, although not as perfect as I imagined. On the plus side they smell fantastic and the customer doesn't mind the gappy look.
I'm sure they're great and maybe just a few air bubble because you had to mold them so quickly. I love watermelon fragrance also.

I’d love to see photos.
Happy to oblige!
IMG_1871.jpeg

I took tomorrow off work... so hopefully I will get some soapy stuff done! Although it will likely be packaging soap and figuring out what I need to do for the Square/Weebly integration I'm being forced into. And probably cleaning my soap dungeon and preparing for a soap class on Monday. Although I did get a batch of yogurt made for more soaps...

I walked around the house and discovered batches of soap curing! I wish I'd taken a before photo, because I was feeling a bit like Old Mother Hubbard with such empty curing shelves. But I'd been making more soap than usual...where was it all? 45 minutes later, I'd rounded it all up from other shelves, on top of the fridge, on the shelf in the laundry room, in a box on the floor, etc. etc.

Attachments

• soap shelves.png
    soap shelves.png
    476 KB · Views: 64

Latest posts

Back