What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my very first batch of CP soap. After over a month of reading anything I could get my hands on and amassing my supplies I finally took the plunge. I used a simple recipe of CO, OO and PO with some Apple Green Moss Mica and Mango FO and I am thrilled to say that it went very well. I am beyond excited and had to share! Time will tell how this will develop but I have great hope! It’s currently resting comfortably in a warm spot! Here’s what it looked like before I tucked it in. It’s safe to say I have caught the soap bug!

Attachments

• 88FB8589-A614-468D-B9A7-A4589136A54E.jpeg
    88FB8589-A614-468D-B9A7-A4589136A54E.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 68
Have lots of soap 300 plus bars. Already given lots away. Would like to at least recoup my material costs. Any suggestions on how to sell at a steep discount. Have filed my Canada Health forms. Not a form business yet.

I unmolded my first CP batch today and I have to say I am very happy with the results. Looking forward to seeing how it cures. I’m realizing that soaping takes much patience!
Those look great. I love the color.

Here’s my first ever batch using oxides. This is after a couple of hours in the mold because, unfortunately, I did not remember to take a wet soap pic. I upped the soy wax (GW 415) from 20% to 25% for this batch. For some reason, I thought soy wax would be hard to work with, but aside from keeping the temperature up, it’s quickly become a favorite. I’m finding that it melts completely and gets totally clear more quickly than the lard and tallow/lard shortening I’ve used. I love the soaps I made last fall with 20% GW 415, but want to work my way up to 30% for comparison.

The interior is a thin layer pour down the side wall of the mold. I scented it with a mix of lime and mint, with a Mojito in mind. I used ultramarine blue, chrome green, hydrated chrome green, TD and something else that I’ll save for after the cut :). I was aiming for dark pastels and hopefully I got close.

3F628334-89B2-49F4-A36C-95EAA7F98A72.jpeg

Today I cut a loaf of soap I made using Cambrian Blue clay for the first time. I used Rosemary and Lemon essential oil for fragrance, lemon peel power for exfoliation and decorated with Calendula petals on top. It’s probably one of the most beautiful bars I’ve made, but the smell did not come through very well. The Cambrian clay has its own distinctive smell that is overpowering the rosemary and lemon. I will use more next time (used 0.5 ounces of each for 2 lbs loaf).

Attachments

• BBEBB061-F8FC-4CF9-B4F4-B5D3CC867799.jpeg
    BBEBB061-F8FC-4CF9-B4F4-B5D3CC867799.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 54
  • D8A988B1-778A-4E55-A466-251859AB7E01.jpeg
    D8A988B1-778A-4E55-A466-251859AB7E01.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 53
  • A446504D-6ED4-4A0B-B88C-D792CD8E473B.jpeg
    A446504D-6ED4-4A0B-B88C-D792CD8E473B.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 54
  • A9253ABB-781C-4764-9D38-CC179DD2D5ED.jpeg
    A9253ABB-781C-4764-9D38-CC179DD2D5ED.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 3BD2AD1A-7FAC-40F8-88E3-3ECA5325EF4A.jpeg
    3BD2AD1A-7FAC-40F8-88E3-3ECA5325EF4A.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 55
Today I cut a loaf of soap I made using Cambrian Blue clay for the first time. I used Rosemary and Lemon essential oil for fragrance, lemon peel power for exfoliation and decorated with Calendula petals on top. It’s probably one of the most beautiful bars I’ve made, but the smell did not come through very well. The Cambrian clay has its own distinctive smell that is overpowering the rosemary and lemon. I will use more next time (used 0.5 ounces of each for 2 lbs loaf).
That’s very pretty soap! I love the soft blue color of the clay.

Those look great. I love the color.

Here’s my first ever batch using oxides. This is after a couple of hours in the mold because, unfortunately, I did not remember to take a wet soap pic. I upped the soy wax (GW 415) from 20% to 25% for this batch. For some reason, I thought soy wax would be hard to work with, but aside from keeping the temperature up, it’s quickly become a favorite. I’m finding that it melts completely and gets totally clear more quickly than the lard and tallow/lard shortening I’ve used. I love the soaps I made last fall with 20% GW 415, but want to work my way up to 30% for comparison.

The interior is a thin layer pour down the side wall of the mold. I scented it with a mix of lime and mint, with a Mojito in mind. I used ultramarine blue, chrome green, hydrated chrome green, TD and something else that I’ll save for after the cut :). I was aiming for dark pastels and hopefully I got close.

View attachment 43680
I love your color combo. Would love to see a pic when you cut it!

This time I used 75% of my oils. My oils were 30 ounces, so I used 22 1/2 ounces of pink Himalayan salt. You can use up to 100% of your oils. I used activated charcoal in these, so that’s why I only used 75% of the oils. I can’t wait for the cure to be over, 6 weeks (minimum) is a long time to wait!
Sadly Himalayan Salt is one of the salts we long time salt bar makers warn against using. It can be very scratchy and even cause lacerations. Even fine grain is not good for salt bars. The pink part is made up of hard clay that does not dissolve. Sorry, you must not have read all the info on salt bars in this forum. Just be very careful when using them or use them with a bath pouf.

I am one that uses 100-110% salt with a 30% lye concentration and have no problems stirring my batter. I even get in 2 color swirls depending on my fragrance. I never use salt bars that have less than a 6-month cure and cherish the bars with 2-3 year cures. I will determine at 6 months if I feel they are ready for market if not they stay on the curing rack.

Today i'm restocking my lavender basil soap and also making Pet Paw balm for my craft market next week. Might work on some new labels but we will see how long i stay in the soap kitchen.

Wait, what? That was your first? Wowza!
Yes! My very first! I have to say that I have read and read and read and watched tutorial videos and then researched some more cause that’s just how anal I am. Lol. I think I started in November and just now felt I was ready to take the plunge. I start thinking of soap and new things to research as soon as my eyes open in the morning. Sounds pretty crazy, but I’m sure a lot of you would totally get it!

Which way should I cut these? Four of each? I have half of the loaf left :). I intended to use the lengthwise cut to accent the thin line pour (bars on the right) but the cross cut on the left looks pretty nice, too. Yay for my first soap made with oxides. There are layers colored with mixed indigo and annatto oil in there too, but I’m not sure I can pick them out.

2D4FEA37-96B4-498F-9240-66749BE9E2BE.jpeg

Which way should I cut these? Four of each? I have half of the loaf left :). I intended to use the lengthwise cut to accent the thin line pour (bars on the right) but the cross cut on the left looks pretty nice, too. Yay for my first soap made with oxides. There are layers colored with mixed indigo and annatto oil in there too, but I’m not sure I can pick them out.

View attachment 43714
All pretty but I like the ones on the left :)

View attachment 43714
I vote for the swirly Van Gogh cut ☆

I'm lovin' using my soap again (really, I'm not bragging, just hate the store bought stuff) and wifey likes that the gray and pink match our new bath. I boxed up the rest of it and turned another curing batch. The previous owner of our new home had a massive basement woodworking room that I'm eyeing for a dedicated soaping workshop -- but likely will have to replace the solid block windows with ones that open. And, @amd , I'll call it my 'playroom,' not a 'dungeon.' ;)

View attachment 43714
Such beautiful soap!! I'm with @Dawni. I like the swirls the best.

Latest posts

Back