What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Lin19687 sweet! I think I remember seeing the NG FO. I'll have to move into the next order wishlist. I don't order from BA, but I'll add that to my back burner notes in case NG doesn't pan out...

So last night I made lip balms, finished some bubble bars, and made a linear swirl soap. I also made some embeds for another soap that I'm going to do tonight - hopefully.

I have made two attempts at making a mold with plaster of paris.
The first one got too many air bubbles. Just as I poured the second one I realised I hadn't tried to overcome the coreflute (bumpy bottom) of the mold. So I will attempt it a third time once the plaster of paris has set.

Hi guys. This week I am trying to make beer, honey and eggs soap. I tried CP and HP. HP is a little drama coz there is heat and sugars and lye - small bomb. CP went almost perfect except the little fact that the batter freezed almost immediately with dark beer. I will publish photos later. I am so excited to cut the CP since I used two layers of light and dark beer.

Interesting, two types of beer; hadn't thought about doing that--good idea. I've just used Guinness stout beer and at 100% so I had to freeze it in an ice tray; of course, cooked to remove alcohol and carbonation.
Well I plan to try triple beer :) - light, red and dark. Would be so lovely :) my honey adds brown-red-ish colour to the beer.

Well I plan to try triple beer :) - light, red and dark. Would be so lovely :) my honey adds brown-red-ish colour to the beer.

Oh now, I gotta see photos of that soap. I might steal your idea as I love making beer soaps for one particular son who drinks beer. I give them to both sons but our other one drinks something other than beer. I do have a bourbon FO that I used to make bath bombs last Christmas. Will be making some soap with it for this year...gotta get my rear in gear. Times a tickin.

Looking forward to seeing the two beer soap photos!!

Last night I helped my daughter make her Earth Science project. I made soap dough last week (maybe Saturday), and she shaped and layered it into a ball to create a model of the Earth's layers. So far the ball looks really cool! We're letting it dry out a bit before we cut out a wedge so that the layers show. She's really excited because it is an extra credit project and she'll "probably be the only person bringing soap", haha! She did really well despite being up past her bedtime waiting for me to come home from work. She did most of the molding - one of the colors did not set up well so it was very sticky, so I molded that layer for her after she struggled with it a bit.

I packaged my bubble bars but still need to make labels. I made another attempt at a linear swirl - coconut milk soap, BCN Love Spell Type (it played fairly well, slight ricing and it got hot, but it didn't accelerate and smells fantastic, slight FO slick when unmolding the soap this morning but that should absorb back in so if it sticks well this FO is a winner for me), and a t&s mold. Tossed 48 lip balms that I made on Sunday because I didn't realize the flavor oil had gone off (I really was not paying attention when I made them, it's something I should have obviously noticed), checked my other flavor oils and they're fine so I just pitched the one. Contacted the customer and she's willing to do another flavor so I don't have to place an order (and run the risk of buying things I don't need, lol).

Tonight I have the night off, so I'm going to work on making labels, redoing the 48 lip balms, cutting the newest soap, doing soap dishes... and then maybe I'll think about doing some housework, and spending time with the kids and hubby... maybe ;)

As I promised earlier. My beer/honey/egg yolk soaps. First, second and on the left on the third is the CP soap, on the right on the third pic is the HP soap. I have to admit that this was challenge for me and I won't stop here. In CP the batter accelerates too fast especially with dark beer. Now I have better plan for the CP soap :) The HP soap is different story. I am still wondering should I add the egg yolk at the end at the beginning. Also when there is honey it is impossible to cook it without having volcano. I plan this recipe as shampoo bar but I think I have to work on it more. Do you have any experience at HP beer/honey/yolk soap?

Attachments

• IMG_20190918_193706[1].jpg
    IMG_20190918_193706[1].jpg
    62 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20190918_194600[1].jpg
    IMG_20190918_194600[1].jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20190918_201240[1].jpg
    IMG_20190918_201240[1].jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 35
As I promised earlier. My beer/honey/egg yolk soaps. First, second and on the left on the third is the CP soap, on the right on the third pic is the HP soap. I have to admit that this was challenge for me and I won't stop here. In CP the batter accelerates too fast especially with dark beer. Now I have better plan for the CP soap :) The HP soap is different story. I am still wondering should I add the egg yolk at the end at the beginning. Also when there is honey it is impossible to cook it without having volcano. I plan this recipe as shampoo bar but I think I have to work on it more. Do you have any experience at HP beer/honey/yolk soap?

question: how does the egg help the soap?

another question: does the soap need to be used up before it goes bad? Life expectancy of the soap?

Another question: wouldn't the heat from the saponification 'cook' the egg?

I'm so curious.....

:computerbath:

Ive made egg soap. I beat the eggs and add them at trace slowly while stick blending. You want them thoroughly mixed quickly or they will cook

question: how does the egg help the soap?

another question: does the soap need to be used up before it goes bad? Life expectancy of the soap?

Another question: wouldn't the heat from the saponification 'cook' the egg?

I'm so curious.....

:computerbath:
Answer of first Question: Egg yolks are considered as egg oil. They have almost the same FA as vegetable and animal fats. So they can be used as superfat. Aslo they consist реcious oils other that the well known Stearic, Palmitic and so on, also lecithin an so on. Also you get proteins and amino acids from the yolk and the white. I don't know if proteins are decomposed by the lye.

Answer of first Question TWO: I don't know. I am new to that kind of soaps. Bun I suppose to be used as soon as possible since this is natural organic ingredient.

Answer of first Question THREE: Depends on the soaping temperature. Above 74 degrees Celsius they start partially to precipitate. Also the duration of time they have been exposed to heat has influence on precipitation. If you manage to disperse the egg/yolk/white well you won't see any precipitated proteins.

Last night I helped my daughter make her Earth Science project. I made soap dough last week (maybe Saturday), and she shaped and layered it into a ball to create a model of the Earth's layers. So far the ball looks really cool! We're letting it dry out a bit before we cut out a wedge so that the layers show. She's really excited because it is an extra credit project and she'll "probably be the only person bringing soap", haha!

Sounds like a terrific project, way to go!!

"I packaged my bubble bars but still need to make labels. I made another attempt at a linear swirl - coconut milk soap....Tonight I have the night off, so I'm going to work on making labels, redoing the 48 lip balms, cutting the newest soap, doing soap dishes..."

You've been a very busy beaver!

Latest posts

Back