What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here’s the view from my balcony this morning in Sandestin, FL. It beautiful here! In the village on the property, there is a nice soap and bath shoppe, so of course I had to stop in a sniff around (literally). It appears to be locally owned. It was quiet, clean and well organized...no other customers while we were there. IMHO the soap was pretty basic fare-mostly coconut/palm/olive, 1 or 2-scent combos with some rudimentary swirling...nothing “artful” and each is priced at $10.95 for maybe a 3.5 oz bar. That’s not to disparage a fellow soap maker, as I know the rent in a resort village like this must be astronomical, and I love the smell of capitalism in the morning! It’s a great market...relatively wealthy tourists in a place famous for its humidity, where we all take at least two showers/baths a day. They had a nice assortment of bath bombs, salt scrubs and some lotions, lip balms, etc as well as a small selection of transparent soaps. I could SO do this!

That is sort of my dream eventually. Get a nice little shop in a tiny little niche market that makes enough to buy supplies and pay help. Maybe one of my children...

Here’s the view from my balcony this morning in Sandestin, FL. It beautiful here! In the village on the property, there is a nice soap and bath shoppe, so of course I had to stop in and sniff around (literally). It appears to be locally owned. It was quiet, clean and well organized...no other customers while we were there. IMHO the soap was pretty basic fare-mostly coconut/palm/olive, 1 or 2-scent combos with some rudimentary swirling...nothing “artful” and each is priced at $10.95 for maybe a 3.5 oz bar. That’s not to disparage a fellow soap maker, as I know the rent in a resort village like this must be astronomical, and I love the smell of capitalism in the morning! It’s a great market...relatively wealthy tourists in a place famous for its humidity, where we all take at least two showers/baths a day. They had a nice assortment of bath bombs, salt scrubs and some lotions, lip balms, etc as well as a small selection of transparent soaps. I could SO do this!

Have you been to the Hard Rock Cafe nearby? I think it was the smallest Hard Rock I've ever been to. We were there about 4 years ago. Have a great day.

I finally made some soap today. It was originally planned to be a gradient pour, but it was a bit difficult with the clay and ended up more like 2 layers... oh well. It smell nice (lavender-bergamot) and lathers quite well already for being a 8-hr young baby.

IMG_5066.jpeg

Took a half day off to make some soap....and dozens of cupcakes for son's school party....and prepare a bunch of kebabs to grill....and go to the gym....and catch up on filing papers....and make some phone calls....that sounds like about half a day's activities, amirite??

No probs! So glad you like it.
Meanwhile this one is testing my patience. Still a bit gooey when I peel the mat off so will have to leave it yet another day. I SO want to cut it to see the pattern inside.
View attachment 38855
Can you put it in the freezer for a few hours and then slice it while it’s frozen?

Dishes got done! Now moving on to figuring out when I can do what. I thought I was going to do a yoga class tonight, but then remembered that I have an optional video conference with China tonight. Have to find out if the engineer is coming into the office or doing it from home. If he's doing it from home I'll probably ask him to send me a summary of the VC and just stay home (I don't have capabilities for VC at home and don't have permission to access the VC room). Then will have to decide yoga or soap. I'm feeling like soap.
So the soapy list is:
Custom order uncolored unscented AVJ with a bit of AVgel - so easy to make and so satisfying to create a white bar. I think I might use the impression lace mat just to give it some fancy.
Watermelon cupcakes - These have been on my list since I successfully did a watermelon bar, and I finally found the perfect watermelon lemonade scent.
Tiger Stripe Challenge soap - I tweaked my usual recipe from 65% hard oils down to 45% so will have to see if that was enough to get a good flow. I've done this technique two times before, surprisingly with a beer soap for one of them. I think the FO decelerated a bit because I had way more working time than usual with a beer soap. I'll try it first with the FO I picked (new, don't know what it will do in my recipe) and if I have to do a second go I'll try it with the tweaked recipe and the beer soap FO (the old version of Candle Science Green Tea Lemongrass, I picked up another bottle when it was on sale 50% off).
And still have a batch of sugar scrub I'd like to get done and the lip balm labeling/shrink wrapping. Oh and a batch of bubble bars.

Home sick from work after being up half the night with awful stomach pains. Feeling better now and I'm contemplating making a couple batches of soap...I'd like to redo my tiger stripe for the challenge, and there are a few other techniques I'd like to try. Cut yesterday's loaf of Cucumber Melon this morning and it turned out spectacular.

I finally got all the soap shrink-wrapped. I have decided I have a love hate relationship with shrink-wrapping. I have been trying to figure out if the heat gun needs to cool down every once in a while. I can be moving along-everything going good--and then bammo. I start getting holes grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr the bags I just got don't seem to have an air hole in them so I was clipping a corner off. would it work if I just put a pin through a bunch at one time?

Back