What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure there isnt one but youtube is full of videos of hp soap making that might help sort your basic questions you may have

yeah, just finding random threads, which i will read and then search the internet and youtube! thanks

Wow! Your swirl mojo was on High when you made that soap, it's one of my top 5 favorite looks I've seen on this forum!

I'm running over the the HP Forum section (assuming there's one) so I avoid asking a bunch more dumb questions about HP!!! :D
It wasnt a dumb question at all. There is a lot I dont know about CP soap too.

@MGM you can get rid of soda ash by putting it over steam i saw someone suggest boiling a pan of water and holding the soap over it once it starts to boil. personally id hold it with tongs as i dont fancy getting steam burns

Steam alone will do it, huh? I thought you had to steam + rub, and my tops are so lumpy will all sorts of crevices that I figured it was a losing battle.
Might try this on a few of them and then see if it's worth the effort. So far my only audience is ME, and I'm pretty easy to please....:p

Steam alone will do it, huh? I thought you had to steam + rub, and my tops are so lumpy will all sorts of crevices that I figured it was a losing battle.
Might try this on a few of them and then see if it's worth the effort. So far my only audience is ME, and I'm pretty easy to please....:p

I actually quite like the way soda ash looks on some of my soap im more bothered by the partial gel on my beer soap that just plain ruins the look of them but oh well.

You might have to get a cloth and wipe it but for the effort it takes to boil a pan of water id say its worth a try

Off upstairs to soap again still not in a great mood today and really not looking forward to tomorrow. Its going to be a charcoal, clay and poppy seed face soap and more than like ugly as sin too but for once im going for practicality over attractive swirls ect

I rebatched some lotion bars. Back when I was experimenting to duplicate a name brand, I ended up with a huge batch that was a huge disappointment (way too soft and oily). To get the right proportions, I had to melt that first batch and add a ton more beeswax and hard butters. Now I've got lotion bars up to my ears -- may have to pay folks to take them away. :)
hahaha, I know what ya mean

Well iv just had a really bad spill the entire loaf mold sized batch has just poured out everywhere after i mixed to a thick trace i realised i hadnt prepped the eo for the scent. so i put the sb down thinking it was safe the moment i turned my back it fell over and wiped out the entire bowl of batter. all down the bench then the wall and then the floor were all covered in the thick black batter so i got about 6 towels and tried my best to mop it all up ran and grabbed a scrubbing brush and the vinegar and scrubbed like mad then went down and threw all the towels in the washing machine and put it on rinse. then off with the clothes and straight in shower to make sure anything that was on my skin was throughly washed off. scary but im surprised how calm i was think im more annoyed that iv not got my soap now.

Well iv just had a really bad spill the entire loaf mold sized batch has just poured out everywhere after i mixed to a thick trace i realised i hadnt prepped the eo for the scent. so i put the sb down thinking it was safe the moment i turned my back it fell over and wiped out the entire bowl of batter. all down the bench then the wall and then the floor were all covered in the thick black batter so i got about 6 towels and tried my best to mop it all up ran and grabbed a scrubbing brush and the vinegar and scrubbed like mad then went down and threw all the towels in the washing machine and put it on rinse. then off with the clothes and straight in shower to make sure anything that was on my skin was throughly washed off. scary but im surprised how calm i was think im more annoyed that iv not got my soap now.
yikes!!! glad you are ok

OMG! Glad you are okay, and hope there's no damage to your room. I think you are supposed to wait until the next day to put the towels in the washer -- for future reference, if needed. Hopefully will never be needed, though.

I made a kind of an experimental soap today.
It is a soap that had ingredients similar to previous batches with a little tweaking. I got some silicone molds for Christmas and I wanted to try one with 6 bars in the mold. Also had a Pringle’s can that I wanted to play with. The soap was scented with a blend of three essential oils.( 5x orange with a couple of drops of clove bud and patchouli) I thought that with the citrus scents that it would look good with a little orange tint to it. I had some 1000 mg capsules of turmeric so I thought I would add some and see what I get. I added one capsule to start off and see how deep the color was. Wow, one capsule was way more than what I was looking for. This batch had a little over 34 ounces of oils and almost 53 ounces total. This soap looks like a pumpkin purée so far.
I hope it tones down a bit as it cures.

Attachments

• E9755DB9-B487-4EE3-A72F-7706441CC650.jpeg
    E9755DB9-B487-4EE3-A72F-7706441CC650.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 36
  • C1788DD7-395E-42F1-8F97-776C8F995CF6.jpeg
    C1788DD7-395E-42F1-8F97-776C8F995CF6.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
yikes!!! glad you are ok

Im fine thanks just got the shock of my life when i turned round and saw the spill then right away went into clean up mode. i needed a shower after making the soap anyways lmao

OMG! Glad you are okay, and hope there's no damage to your room. I think you are supposed to wait until the next day to put the towels in the washer -- for future reference, if needed. Hopefully will never be needed, though.

The room isnt decorated and has half the wall paper ripped off from when i bought the house and got it rewired which involved channelling the wall so as long as it doesnt start eating away at the plaster thatll be fine my immidiate attention went to the floor because i just have floor boards with no carpet down so that was what i really wanted to clean up the desk is just an old wooden desk not really a big deal if it gets damaged. Just glad i kept calm and just got on with clearing up. Iv got a dentists appointment right next to the building i used to work in and im in the process of threatening them with court so not on good terms so ill remake the soap i spilt tonight tomorrow afternoon but ill make sure i prep the eo this time before i start mixing

I made a experimental soap today. It is a soap that had ingredients similar to previous batches with a little tweaking. I got some silicone molds for Christmas and I wanted to try one with 6 bars in the mold. Also had a Pringle’s can that I wanted to play with. The soap was scented with a blend of three essential oils.( 5x orange with a couple of drops of clove bud and patchouli) I thought that with the citrus scents that it would look good with a little orange tint to it. I had some 1000 mg capsules of turmeric so I thought I would add some and see what I get. So, I added one capsule to start off and see how deep the color was. Wow, one capsule was way more that I was looking for. This batch had a little over 34 ounces of oils and almost 53 ounces total. This soap looks like a pumpkin purée so far.
I hope it tones down a bit as it cures.
just a question? could one use the spice turmeric for color too--just asking cuz I think the color is pretty. how did you like the pringles can? we tried that and the temps were close to 110 and the stuff got real hot and just grew out of the tube. I read somewhere that it heats up a lot more cuz of the lining in them, did this happen to you?

just a question? could one use the spice turmeric for color too--just asking cuz I think the color is pretty. how did you like the pringles can? we tried that and the temps were close to 110 and the stuff got real hot and just grew out of the tube. I read somewhere that it heats up a lot more cuz of the lining in them, did this happen to you?

I saw someone the other day saying thwy used termeric think it was on a thread called something like my first soap

I have not used spice turmeric but have read that you can. It really should be about the same I think.
I lined the inside of the Pringles can with butcher paper. It all looked good for the few minutes that it was poured. I wrapped in a a towel because it is in my garage and it’s not overly warm out there.

I have used turmeric spice -- both as added at trace and as infusion. It works both ways.

I have not used spice turmeric but have read that you can. It really should be about the same I think.
I lined the inside of the Pringles can with butcher paper. It all looked good for the few minutes that it was poured. I wrapped in a a towel because it is in my garage and it’s not overly warm out there.
curious to how its going to go for you!! ours started after about 10 minutes or so. the soap turned out well just cut the funky end off (and into funky bars :) )but it actually was one of the nicest smelling soaps we made

curious to how its going to go for you!! ours started after about 10 minutes or so. the soap turned out well just cut the funky end off (and into funky bars :) )but it actually was one of the nicest smelling soaps we made

Marilyn,
I just took a peek and all is good. I don’t think the soap raised at all. It was in the 50’s in the garage today while I was soaping. I mixed the lye water into the oils at about 120-125 degrees. After I was finished I covered the soap with cardboard and towels. I will take pics after cutting tomorrow.

Was going to try my first HP tonight, but my instant read thermometer was dead -- i left the switch on ON. :hairpulling:

Made a spreadsheet of all my soaps made so far, everything from amt of oils used, fatty acid profiles of the batches, oil characteristics, and other stats because the Science part of my brain is saying: What are you doing for comparision? How much are your batches varying, since you are selecting from the same 6 or 7 oils each time? How can you compare recipes unless they vary more than a little? How can you analyze the soaps when you use them without a side-by-side comparison of the recipes?

When my "Scientific Soapmaking" book comes, I'll be able to take this analysis even further! Also, I should be able to do some interesting anaylses with Excel's Pivot function. And, once I start using these soaps, I can add more data so I can begin to understand what i like, what worked as planned, etc.

Tomorrow, I think I'll pick up some sunflower oil and OO (as opposed to EVOO).
My pretty silicone molds arrive tomorrow, also, so I expect there will be new soap! :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back