What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wrapped a couple of soaps to send with my dad, who is traveling back to Abu Dhabi tomorrow. Or should I say later..

Anyway, these soaps are techinally testers disguised as gifts for some good friends of mine there.

Speaking of disguised testers... My cousin just got hers, in Dubai. She's one of my best supporters and wanted to try out my soaps in that kind of climate, so I guess it's not really a disguise anymore lol
View attachment 35232
Recycled brown paper from supermarket purchases (clean and dry lol), inside a box my EOs came in, and wrapped in twine from a wine package. The only thing I bought was the star tag, which came in 200pcs lol

I like the rustic recycled wrapping. Can ur family sell ur soap in Dubai? I hear they r stinking-rich from oil and have $$$ to burn:D

Last edited:
Well iv just had a really bad spill the entire loaf mold sized batch has just poured out everywhere after i mixed to a thick trace i realised i hadnt prepped the eo for the scent. so i put the sb down thinking it was safe the moment i turned my back it fell over and wiped out the entire bowl of batter. all down the bench then the wall and then the floor were all covered in the thick black batter so i got about 6 towels and tried my best to mop it all up ran and grabbed a scrubbing brush and the vinegar and scrubbed like mad then went down and threw all the towels in the washing machine and put it on rinse. then off with the clothes and straight in shower to make sure anything that was on my skin was throughly washed off. scary but im surprised how calm i was think im more annoyed that iv not got my soap now.
What a day you are having! So sorry! I'm secretly glad you shared this not so picture-perfect moment, it lets me know I'm not the only one that messes up!

I made a kind of an experimental soap today.
It is a soap that had ingredients similar to previous batches with a little tweaking. I got some silicone molds for Christmas and I wanted to try one with 6 bars in the mold. Also had a Pringle’s can that I wanted to play with. The soap was scented with a blend of three essential oils.( 5x orange with a couple of drops of clove bud and patchouli) I thought that with the citrus scents that it would look good with a little orange tint to it. I had some 1000 mg capsules of turmeric so I thought I would add some and see what I get. I added one capsule to start off and see how deep the color was. Wow, one capsule was way more than what I was looking for. This batch had a little over 34 ounces of oils and almost 53 ounces total. This soap looks like a pumpkin purée so far.
I hope it tones down a bit as it cures.
That is a GREAT shade of bold orange! Still waiting for when we can share scents via the inter-webs because your blend sounds fantastic!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used turmeric spice -- both as added at trace and as infusion. It works both ways.
Ditto for HP as well
Was going to try my first HP tonight, but my instant read thermometer was dead -- i left the switch on ON. :hairpulling:
I have not used a thermometer coz I don't have one lol. But I have it on good advice that you just need to hover your hand over your oils and lye water to gauge if they're more or less in the same temp range. You'll be heating it all up anyway. Just don't mix one that's very cold and one that's very hot..
I unmolded my challenge soap but it's still a bit too soft to cut. So far, I'm pretty happy with it.
The suspense is giving me shivers lol
I like the rustic recycled wrapping. Can ur family sell ur soap in Dubai? I hear they r stinking-rich from oil and have $$$ to burn:D
I wish!! Haha.. But like all countries there is "a dirty side" to Dubai which might surprise many, and with only 10% locals in the whole of the UAE, you can imagine the range of spending power there is.

Hmmmm. Well, I perused Peak fragrance oils, read up on different methods, found a container and put it in the car for tomorrow's road trip to the beach for some sea water. Should have gone yesterday but trip was cut short by a visit to a new pizza joint. They won't be there long I suspect.
I ordered coconut oil, lard, shea butter, vegetable shortening (palm), and checked on olive oil. Gotta watch those prices. I used to buy the big jug as it was cheaper after per ounce calculation. Now, the 101oz jug is the most expensive ($0.20/oz) and the cheapest ($0.14/oz) is the 25oz bottle. Gotta watch em. Has anyone used the African Shea Butter from WalMart? I'm taking the chance.
I can't seem to be able to pull the trigger and buy the KD8000 scale. Don't know why. If my old Escali would just up and crap out it would be no problem. It just stares at me as if it knows and is saying "I know, you just want to kick me to the curb and go with that sweet new thing, all shiny and cute". Actually I'm just frugal and don't need it but want it. It's a short run from frugal, to thrifty to CHEAP.
It's not soap, but the Santos Tour Down Under comes on at midnight here. Gotta watch.
We buy our coconut oil at BigLots. Every three months they have a 20% off sale. Their 101 oz. is usually $12.00. We got it for $9. Didn’t know Walmart carried Shea butter. Please let me know how it is.

Wow... one good soap yesterday and one uncooperative soap today. What was supposed to be green turned to mustard colour. Added the fragrance and it accelerated (it didn't last time I used it). My mold is overflowing; the base soap is liquid, the colour swirls almost solid already. I think I might have to go back to beginner status. I am NOT amused.
It is heartening to know that even experienced spapers deal with trials and tribulations just like us newbies. it gives me hope!

Where did you find your molds, dear heart?
Same here. It is an addiction for sure!

Two loaves of cherry almond soap unmolded yesterday evening. Will but into bars today. I think I will make some more lavender soap today as well as some salt soap while I am waiting for my cold water FO from BB to arrive.

Did an experimental batch using the Cold Water FO and all of the men I surveyed loved it! Can’t wait to make more of this soap.

Attachments

• 7B7C653B-4C1E-4A4D-9BDD-23FBB37EDC21.jpeg
    7B7C653B-4C1E-4A4D-9BDD-23FBB37EDC21.jpeg
    33.4 KB · Views: 15
Ditto for HP as well

I have not used a thermometer coz I don't have one lol. But I have it on good advice that you just need to hover your hand over your oils and lye water to gauge if they're more or less in the same temp range.

Hi Dawni! The videos I watched on HP yesterday seemed to say that one wants to keep the cook temp to no more than about 170F to maybe 180F so the soap doesn't burn, and I don't feel capable of judging that without a thermometer.

How do you avoid burning the soap? Have you come up with any techniques for HP that are different than the usual instructions?

Same here. It is an addiction for sure!

Found the flower molds on Amazon. Miss Moose was elbow-deep in soap painting and couldn't reply. :D

Out for delivery
Arriving today by 8 PM

2 Pcs 6 cavity assorted silicone flower
Sold by: JUSLIN
$11.99

Rectangle silicone soap molds by the Silly Pops
Sold by: MyShopUA
$12.99

Washed soap dishes. Updated stock for colors in SM3. Packaged an order and samples for a brewery. Set out stuff to make soap, but didn't do it. I went through a period of soapmaking blahs last year around this time, and it has hit again. I'm going to push through and get my challenge soap made tonight and do a run through of the farm show demo. I won't have properly cured soap to hand out, so will need to figure something else out. Procrastination wins again.

Hi Dawni! The videos I watched on HP yesterday seemed to say that one wants to keep the cook temp to no more than about 170F to maybe 180F so the soap doesn't burn, and I don't feel capable of judging that without a thermometer.

How do you avoid burning the soap? Have you come up with any techniques for HP that are different than the usual instructions?

She doesnt have you see @Dawni 's soaps she keeps saying she is adding colours but its really that she keeps burning them to a crisp :rolleyes::p

Take 2 for the charcoal clay and poppy seed soap tonight hopefully with no more spillages just check on where the spillage effected last night and looks like my quick clean up has saved all touched surfaces from any damage even the towels are undamaged and cleaned up fine. Am in a foul mood today so need to do something to cheer myself up :oops:

Am in a foul mood today so need to do something to cheer myself up :oops:

Sorry that you are struggling lately. Have you been in the sun much, lately -- or wrong time of year in GB? Can you have a bit of a stroll to a little stream or pond, and have some time in nature? Also, see what taking Fish Oil capsules every day might do for your mood (sounds odd, I know, but trust me :))

Check the rest of my soapies I made this weekend / need to un-mold those I made yesterday when I get home from work and cut them. Didn't get as many made as I had planned but that's okay. I have enough lye to make another batch tonight or tomorrow. I'm also running out of Coconut Oil, only have enough for 1 more batch, I never run out of supplies.....that's what happens when you haven't soaped since July.

Sorry that you are struggling lately. Have you been in the sun much, lately -- or wrong time of year in GB? Can you have a bit of a stroll to a little stream or pond, and have some time in nature? Also, see what taking Fish Oil capsules every day might do for your mood (sounds odd, I know, but trust me :))

I do need to go pick some vit d tablets up but keep forgetting to go. Even in the summer i doubt most people in england especially the north where i am get enough vit d. Oh and plus its pitch black now its as good as dark by 5pm now

thank you for your concern and trying to help @Meena i appriciate it

I do need to go pick some vit d tablets up but keep forgetting to go. Even in the summer i doubt most people in england especially the north where i am get enough vit d. Oh and plus its pitch black now its as good as dark by 5pm now

thank you for your concern and trying to help @Meena i appriciate it
When I got back here after spending 10 years in the UK all the doctors kept telling me to dose up on Vitamin D. I think they were worried after my long stint over there that i would be depleted.

When I got back here after spending 10 years in the UK all the doctors kept telling me to dose up on Vitamin D. I think they were worried after my long stint over there that i would be depleted.

Iv got no hope after 31 plus years mostly living in the north west. And the south gets generally better weather than we do up here, strange i was always under the impression that new zealand had a fairly simular climate to the uk. Btw im not keen on using the term uk im from England might sound wierd but the scottish and welsh and half of ni dont even like the english so id prefer to identify as english not british saying that i lived in wales for 4 years and the hatred is definatly there however there are also alot of nice welsh people.

My mum is from just outside London near Dagenham i still take the mick out of here for talking posh. Did you ever travel up north in you time here? The lake district is one of my all time fave places to visit its absolutly beautiful.

Latest posts

Back