What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut my latest 2 batches and set up to leave for curing. im now bored so im thinking of going back upstairs and sorting out for another batch or weighing out for another 3 batches.

What do people use for bigger batches i realised last night that 2 loaf molds are my limit at the moment because im using a metal mixing bowl so what else can i use that would allow me to do bigger batches when i get to that point? Im still just testing so dont need anything bigger just yet but once iv tested all my fo and found what behaves iv got big tubs but they all have stuff in them at the moment

Attachments

• 20190101_122426.jpg
    20190101_122426.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 15463793625858858344995158683275.jpg
    15463793625858858344995158683275.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 29
I save the buckets that my ingredients come in. 5 litre and 10 litre . You can also buy the buckets new at the hardware shop. Anything with a 2 or 5 in the triangle at the bottom.

This makes a really nice mild soap that lathers well, although I am not sure if I shared it correctly
http://soapee.com/recipes/10512

ETA I do not share many of my recipes but this one is so nice I broke down and just hoping no one decides to sell it in my market area...:rolleyes:
Thank you for sharing that @cmzaha , it does sound nice! Does it take longer to cure?

I've been doing a bit of reading on Kombucha soap as I, too, have plenty of Scoby (two large mason jars full) and kombucha brewing. In my soap, I'll be using approximately 1 oz of scoby and 1/2 of my lye water weight of kombucha. I blitzed them together in the Magic Bullet until the scoby was pretty much liquified, then strained it. Whatever was left in the strainer was composted (there wasn't much) and the resulting liquid will be added after trace. I'll be dissolving the lye in an equal weight of water.

I lowered the SF of my usual recipe from 6% down to 3% because I know the kombucha is acidic and will neutralize some of the lye which will, in turn, up the SF. I haven't done those calculations because I'm not THAT science-y.
My DH makes kombucha too. Do you use the scabby in 'wet' form when you mulch it? And does it make the soap smelly?

I cut my Rose log to discover a few things:
1) Bits of 'stuff' on top drag though each slice. Grrrrr!
2) Yet again - I need to remind myself to swirl more - this looks like a very pathetic attempt.
3) I think I have my first case of glycerin rivers? In this case glycerin 'spots' in the white part of the soap only. Can anyone advise?

fullsizeoutput_4d84.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4d85.jpeg

My DH makes kombucha too. Do you use the scabby in 'wet' form when you mulch it? And does it make the soap smelly?
I took a scoby from my scoby hotel, rinsed off any yeasty bits and some kombucha from my last batch (unflavoured) and buzzed it all up in my Magic Bullet. In the soap, I can't smell it at all. That said, my soap is still extremely fresh and smells like the FO I used (Lemongrass Verbena). I'll let you know when it comes out of the mold.

I cut my Rose log to discover a few things:
1) Bits of 'stuff' on top drag though each slice. Grrrrr!
2) Yet again - I need to remind myself to swirl more - this looks like a very pathetic attempt.
3) I think I have my first case of glycerin rivers? In this case glycerin 'spots' in the white part of the soap only. Can anyone advise?

View attachment 34721 View attachment 34722
Yup, you definitely have glycerin rivers. Your soap is very pretty; love the colour. One thing you can do to mitigate the cut marks is to cut from the other side; lay the log on its side and cut the bottom side first, rather than the top side.

I took a scoby from my scoby hotel, rinsed off any yeasty bits and some kombucha from my last batch (unflavoured) and buzzed it all up in my Magic Bullet. In the soap, I can't smell it at all. That said, my soap is still extremely fresh and smells like the FO I used (Lemongrass Verbena). I'll let you know when it comes out of the mold.
LOL - I just noticed my 'scabby' autocorrect. I think lemongrass is an excellent choice for kombucha soap - it should mask the smell very well, and it seems to 'go' quite well with the kombucha idea.
Yup, you definitely have glycerin rivers. Your soap is very pretty; love the colour. One thing you can do to mitigate the cut marks is to cut from the other side; lay the log on its side and cut the bottom side first, rather than the top side.
Doh! Of course! Never thought of that.

I’ve been getting glycerin rivers lately and don’t know why. I thought it was TD...and it then I got it with one I did with charcoal....grrr! I guess I’m going to have to soap cooler still....and maybe freeze

I save the buckets that my ingredients come in. 5 litre and 10 litre . You can also buy the buckets new at the hardware shop. Anything with a 2 or 5 in the triangle at the bottom.

I thought this about the ingridient buckets but closest i am to having an empty one is about 3/4 left of 5kg bucket of palm oil. I knew about the 5 in triangle didnt know it was also 2 though and wasnt sure if just a general bucket would be suitable. Thanks for helping :)

Just made a batch wuth just blue mica and td with peppermint and eucalyptus eo in them. @Misschief do you do the split method you mentioned into loaf molds or do you use slab molds? i just tried it from each side and they didnt merge as such but it took ages to get the blue mixed into the white ect to get the swirls but the batter went from end to end not side to side like i wanted it to do even though i was pouring it at the same time from each side! What can i do to avoid this or is it because its a narrow mold? I put some white and then some blue into an individual mold and it swirled much better should that be what i did with the loaf? layers of white and blue?

It looked alright in the end but i know it can look better than it turned out

I thought this about the ingridient buckets but closest i am to having an empty one is about 3/4 left of 5kg bucket of palm oil. I knew about the 5 in triangle didnt know it was also 2 though and wasnt sure if just a general bucket would be suitable. Thanks for helping :)

Don’t ever throw them out. If you get to the stage of buying 20kg bags of lye or salt or anything else they are great for storage.

Last edited:
@Misschief do you do the split method you mentioned into loaf molds or do you use slab molds? i just tried it from each side and they didnt merge as such but it took ages to get the blue mixed into the white ect to get the swirls but the batter went from end to end not side to side like i wanted it to do even though i was pouring it at the same time from each side! What can i do to avoid this or is it because its a narrow mold? I put some white and then some blue into an individual mold and it swirled much better should that be what i did with the loaf? layers of white and blue?

It looked alright in the end but i know it can look better than it turned out

I use loaf molds for that method. What you could do is tilt your mold slightly and pour a little of one colour, then let your mold down and pour a little of your second colour. That way, you have a base down. Then continue on, pouring at the same time.

Well, I attempted a swirl, and ended up with sweaty, fugly bars of soap.. I was in a mood, and being impatient, wanting to swirl before year end.. I used indigo in boiling water (probably too much water).. and then my other part of the soap batch pretty much seized, so I worked as fast as I could, lol!! I may just end up felting these soaps, if they ever stop sweating. Off to clean up, and try again!!

Attachments

• 20190101_164859.jpg
    20190101_164859.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 54
Well, I attempted a swirl, and ended up with sweaty, fugly bars of soap.. I was in a mood, and being impatient, wanting to swirl before year end.. I used indigo in boiling water (probably too much water).. and then my other part of the soap batch pretty much seized, so I worked as fast as I could, lol!! I may just end up felting these soaps, if they ever stop sweating. Off to clean up, and try again!!
The first soap I see bats...the second one an alien...the third one a demon horse/alligator and the fourth one...the demons girlfriend horse/aardvark

I don’t think it’s fugly! I think it looks cool and kinda abstract!
Thank you - I don't mind the abstract pattern, but the sweaty centers, ugh!!! And not the colours, or pattern I've been dreaming of... not even sure that I love the fragrance (Mayan Gold from BB).. time will tell!

Today I read a number of links and learned that glycerine rivers were not-at-all what I thought. I decided to try and capitalise on that newfound knowledge and copy the marbled coffee soap idea. Messed-up batch 1 with probably-contaminated castor oil. Batch 2 in the oven now. Learnings so far: Caustic coffee smells absolutely foul (and can be argued as being a waste of decent coffee); Oven warmed coffee soap can permeate the entire house with its delightful aroma. I will see tomorrow how it turns out.

I still like ‘em Loralei!

Back