What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did so many soapy things today!
I made my first MB Lye solution - dang that got hot! I made a 50:50 solution with AVJ so I used a smidge more AVJ. I made enough for just over 3 batches of soap.
Well, then I had half my soap stuff out (not, but it seemed like a reasonable talking point) so hey, let’s make some soap! I better test it out, right? Exactly!
I was oogling over everyone’s Ciaglia soaps, and I still had a half a bucket full of assorted shreds, so might as well give it a go! I used 35% of my oil weight in shreds.
Then I wanted to test a trial size of Peace and Love by NS, which DH says smells like the Sprig Spice air fresheners he used to use in his ‘71 Cutlass when he was a teenager, so I made a small batch of that for him.
Lastly, I unmolded and cut yesterday’s soap and did a quick veggie peeler edge on them.
I think I’ll play photo studio for all of them at once, so pics after that - cross my scars and hope to fly 🌸

Looky at my soap top! Lavender, Tea and Tonic FO from Candle Science, which I now see is being discontinued - such a shame as it’s one of my favourites.
5B79096A-9CD8-4BDE-B905-3A3CFB2EB0C9.jpeg056EEA2A-6684-4D45-B6DD-803E1D2B9296.jpeg

Maiden voyage new 4 loaf mold.....received_207650328671355.jpeg
220 ounces of oil. My largest batch yet. Made the mold myself.
Kept it simple. Oatmeal and honey. This is my goto recipe.
so everything went well.
received_622233769423342.jpeg
Forcing into gell.
received_3491531284411799.jpeg
The cut......4 dozen 1.25 bars Oatmeal honey.

Take aways......
Only had to line 1 mold, old molds are 2 loaf.
Weight. Everything is heavier.
Had to melt oils in 2 containers. New 12 quart mixing bowl. Doesn't fit in my microwave.
Was just as easy to set up 4 loafs. As it would have be for a single loaf.
This was the first of two batches. Overall a good experience. Had troubles with second batch. Known, but different recipe. I wll post separately.
Thanks for looking.

Maiden voyage new 4 loaf mold.....View attachment 72442
so everything went well.
View attachment 72444
Forcing into gell.
View attachment 72443

Take aways......
Had to melt oils in 2 containers. New 12 quart mixing bowl. Doesn't fit in my microwave.
This was the first of two batches. Overall a good experience. Had troubles with second batch. Known, but different recipe. I wll post separately.
Thanks for looking.
Impressive!!

so everything went well.
View attachment 72444
Forcing into gell.
View attachment 72443

Take aways......
Thanks for looking.
Impressive. I like your work space a lot. Is it a dedicated soaping space?

I made soap today! I wanted to keep it simple. Titanium dioxide for me is labor intensive so I nixed it even tho' it's my favorite. I poured a thick bottom layer. The top is 2 colors and I hanger swirled just the top half, at least that was my intent, we'll see after the cut. The top 2 colors got muddled so am hoping gelling will improve it. Patch 'n' lav, smells great.

@Ford , I have major basement envy over here!

so everything went well.
View attachment 72444
Forcing into gell.
View attachment 72443

Take aways......
Thanks for looking.
Wow! Nicely done!

Today's soapy thing was whipping up a batch of Irish Lass' Creamy Cocoa-Shea LS. The paste will rest overnight to finish saponifying. The two quart jars are filled with the dilution additives, other than water and FO. I'm going to try diluting in two quart jars instead of a single half-gallon jar. My hope is that it will dilute faster with more surface area exposed to the hot water bath. Also, my tallest pot is still a little too short to immerse the half-gallon jar to the level of the contents, also slowing down the dilution process because the stuff at the top of the jar doesn't get as much heat.

The disadvantage of two jars is the math involving in splitting the diluting ingredients in half while measuring them out. I sure hope my tired brain didn't confuse anything! 🙃

IMG_2221.jpg

Today's soapy thing was whipping up a batch of Irish Lass' Creamy Cocoa-Shea LS. The paste will rest overnight to finish saponifying. The two quart jars are filled with the dilution additives, other than water and FO. I'm going to try diluting in two quart jars instead of a single half-gallon jar. My hope is that it will dilute faster with more surface area exposed to the hot water bath. Also, my tallest pot is still a little too short to immerse the half-gallon jar to the level of the contents, also slowing down the dilution process because the stuff at the top of the jar doesn't get as much heat.

The disadvantage of two jars is the math involving in splitting the diluting ingredients in half while measuring them out. I sure hope my tired brain didn't confuse anything! 🙃

View attachment 72547
Is that for liquid soap?

Um, is this considered cheating? I wanted to try making liquid soap, but I'm still waiting for a couple ingredients to arrive in the mail. So, I decided to experiment with some soap scraps that would normally be used for Ciaglia rebatch and came up with this.

20230507_204959.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back