What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are so pretty!! Thank you for sharing:)
Awesometastic soap there! I saw the soap and thought that looks like camouflage! Then I went up and re-read your earlier post and remembered you were going for camouflage. It's a hunter's soap so is there a scent or no?

I masterbatched today. I had high hopes of soaping this weekend but it didn't happen so I'm giving myself a gold star for masterbatching. I would love to make 2 double batches this week but will be thrilled with one double batch.

I made 4 little bars of soap with leftover batter from two different batches. I’m calling it “Refried Beans on the Ocean.” 🤪

Here’s the Dragon’s Blood soap I also did. I am so sad knowing the red will discolor with this FO. Why do I love the naughty FOs?

Attachments

• B83D27A2-1AE5-4D37-8F4D-7E00C7343DBB.jpeg
    B83D27A2-1AE5-4D37-8F4D-7E00C7343DBB.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 3D7DCFE4-6D49-47F0-9175-9360D3C16FDD.jpeg
    3D7DCFE4-6D49-47F0-9175-9360D3C16FDD.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Here’s the Dragon’s Blood soap I also did. I am so sad knowing the red will discolor with this FO.
Oooo, pretty! May I ask which dragons blood FO? From what I've read, different suppliers have very different variations on this one. I have a friend that has requested this scent, though, so I really need to find/order one.

I made 4 little bars of soap with leftover batter from two different batches. I’m calling it “Refried Beans on the Ocean.” 🤪
Funny name, but I'd consider calling that something Hawaiian because it reminds me of volcanoes and ocean.

My primary soaping thing today was to make another batch of @IrishLass' Creamy Coco-Shea LS for my SIL, who now refuses to buy store-bought body wash and just raves about this stuff. This batch is diluting on the stove as we speak.

I also have oils cooling, colors mixed, and a new-to-me EO blend all mixed up for a possible challenge soap. Depending on how the EOs behave, it could also be a whole lotta plop and glop. Stay tuned....

Creamy Coco-Shea dilution.jpg

EDIT: Well, haha, that didn't take long... here is today's not-challenge soap that accelerated like an Indy Race Car driver! Perhaps the name of the EO blend (Brisk) should have been a clue? 🤔 It's now a spoon swirl instead of a faux funnel pour. Oh well, I needed to restock my soap shelves, and I can practice using my Hercules to cut the slab into loaves and then bars.

Failed April 2023 Challenge soap.jpg

Last edited:
My primary soaping thing today was to make another batch of @IrishLass' Creamy Coco-Shea LS for my SIL, who now refuses to buy store-bought body wash and just raves about this stuff. This batch is diluting on the stove as we speak.

I also have oils cooling, colors mixed, and a new-to-me EO blend all mixed up for a possible challenge soap. Depending on how the EOs behave, it could also be a whole lotta plop and glop. Stay tuned....

View attachment 72040

EDIT: Well, haha, that didn't take long... here is today's not-challenge soap that accelerated like an Indy Race Car driver! Perhaps the name of the EO blend (Brisk) should have been a clue? 🤔 It's now a spoon swirl instead of a faux funnel pour. Oh well, I needed to restock my soap shelves, and I can practice using my Hercules to cut the slab into loaves and then bars.

View attachment 72041
Good save! Love the EO name, brisk 😂

I designed and made a soap / shampoo bar mold on my 3D printer - then made some bars from “pre-cycled” soap manufacturing waste (shavings and trimmings). I put everything through the salad shooter and then pressed them in the mold. They remind me of the mats you can buy to go under rugs. 😄
After I had shredded most of the octopus shavings 🤦🏻‍♀️ I realized I could put them in the bottom of the mold, as shown.
I’m going to give these away for earth day at Saturday’s market.
8E15AE02-4C1F-470E-9F6B-DDB1C61041DA.jpeg

Oooo, pretty! May I ask which dragons blood FO? From what I've read, different suppliers have very different variations on this one. I have a friend that has requested this scent, though, so I really need to find/order one.

Funny name, but I'd consider calling that something Hawaiian because it reminds me of volcanoes and ocean.
I used “Nurture Soap’s” DB. It smelled good OOB, but not so much in the bars I made 3 days ago. It has a chemically smell. I’m hoping it mellows out as the soap cures. I’m pretty disappointed right now. I’d like to hear others’ opinions on favorite DB.

View attachment 72040

View attachment 72041
I can’t decide if I want to “like” or “wow”, so I’ll “quote” 🤣
Sounds like a good soapy day, Ali - and a great save for that naughty EO! Your swirly top looks awesome! Have fun cutting…. 💚 that Hercules! 🌸

I used “Nurture Soap’s” DB. It smelled good OOB, but not so much in the bars I made 3 days ago. It has a chemically smell. I’m hoping it mellows out as the soap cures. I’m pretty disappointed right now. I’d like to hear others’ opinions on favorite DB.
My DB preference is BulkApothecary I hope your scent dries down to something you love! Am a new soaper and have discovered that many things can happen to scents during a soap making experience.

My DB fave is the custom blend that @cmzaha used to be able to order. It doesn't have the strong spicy note that others seem to have (and which I don't like), nor a strong baby powder note. The best I can say is that it is warm and rich, with just enough musk to make it appealing to men, but not overly masculine.

Alas, her special buy option is no longer available, but she has shared that the one from California Candle Supply comes closest. That's what I'll be ordering once my supply from her runs out. I'm hoarding that stuff for personal use only!

I designed and made a soap / shampoo bar mold on my 3D printer - then made some bars from “pre-cycled” soap manufacturing waste (shavings and trimmings). I put everything through the salad shooter and then pressed them in the mold. They remind me of the mats you can buy to go under rugs. 😄
After I had shredded most of the octopus shavings 🤦🏻‍♀️ I realized I could put them in the bottom of the mold, as shown.
I’m going to give these away for earth day at Saturday’s market.
View attachment 72042
That is certainly cool!!

My DB fave is the custom blend that @cmzaha used to be able to order. It doesn't have the strong spicy note that others seem to have (and which I don't like), nor a strong baby powder note. The best I can say is that it is warm and rich, with just enough musk to make it appealing to men, but not overly masculine.

Alas, her special buy option is no longer available, but she has shared that the one from California Candle Supply comes closest. That's what I'll be ordering once my supply from her runs out. I'm hoarding that stuff for personal use only!
I was hoping you'd mention which supplier she recommends. Thank you. I'm going to look it up and order it now or I'll forget where to order from. Again.

I have oils and lye solution cooling now. I'm going to use a new FO sample that I received free with my first order from Lone Star Candle Company. I'm also trying LARD for the first time, @AliOop !

Last edited:
@Servant4Christ I do hope you love working with lard! I'm a little afraid we've all built it up so much that it won't live up to the hype (but it usually does).

Back to my non-challenge soap, looks like the spoon swirl saved the day, so at least the entire slab wasn't a bust. I'm not crazy about the EO blend; all I get is the rosemary. I love the smell and taste of fresh rosemary, but find the EO to be a bit too medicinal unless it is tempered with other stuff. Ah well. I'm sure some friends and family will take it off my hands. ;)

Edit: what looks like a mustard-y color is actually a very pretty coral-ish orange IRL.

Spoon swirl.jpg

Last edited:
Those are so pretty @AliOop !
I used 40% lard just to try it. I almost posted on the recipe feedback thread first, but I was itching to make soap so bad that I knew I wouldn't have the patience to wait for responses. I used a 1oz FO sample in a 2lb batch, so we'll see if it sticks or fades during cure. On the upside, it's a floral that behaved very well and didn't discolor.

Last edited:
Today I cut my April challenge soap. This is the second time I’ve used lard over 20%. I wanted to have a slow batter, and it sure was slow! I probably shouldn’t have even cut it today but given it another day or so. It’s really soft. That happened last time I used a higher percentage of lard, too. I used sodium lactate and CPOP’d at least for a couple hours (until hubs needed the oven). Is that normal for a high(er) lard soap?

ETA: I’m also experimenting with EDTA. Does that normally affect the texture?

@Servant4Christ I do hope you love it! I'm a little afraid we've all built it up so much that it won't live up to the hype (but it usually does).

Back to my non-challenge soap, looks like the spoon swirl saved the day, so at least the entire slab wasn't a bust. I'm not crazy about the EO blend; all I get is the rosemary. I love the smell and taste of fresh rosemary, but find the EO to be a bit too medicinal unless it is tempered with other stuff. Ah well. I'm sure some friends and family will take it off my hands. ;)

Edit: what looks like a mustard-y color is actually a very pretty coral-ish orange IRL.

View attachment 72052
These soaps are fantastic. Love the swirls and the solid color tops. I especially like the contrasting colors against the cream color.

Back