What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HELP NEEDED from the soap wizards! I made a batter that traced nice and slow a couple days ago, for this lovely chopstick swirl shared by Holly on YouTube. It was quite soft the next day so I unmolded it and left it for another 12 hours. Cut with my Hercules wire cutter, and the soap has this weird “pebbly” texture on the cut surfaces. This is the first time I’ve had this happen, and I’m flummoxed. Anyone have a clue what caused the textured surface?
I could be wrong because I haven't seen this, so it is just a guess. It seems like all of your pebbles might be from overheating? I looked at your picture a dozen times between yesterday and today and I came to this conclusion because all of it happens just right in the middle.

The weird thing (which is why I keep going back to look at it), is that it seems to follow a pattern...going along the pattern of your swirls. Maybe it is caused by the td or one of your colors. I dunno.

Try planing the soaps, see if that gets rid of them, or to see if they come back.

Otherwise, very pretty swirl!

The red wine soap is scented with Merlot FO and the white wine soap is scented with Chardonnay FO. Both are on the fruity side. I cook the wine before using it to soap with, just to burn off the alcohol.
Okay that is brilliant! I’ve purchased candles from wineries before, but the candles didn’t burn well. Basically the wick burned and lots of the wax was wasted. I thought about melting the remnants down and repouring, but I have a few too many other projects going already. Not saying I won’t ever get around to it, but yeah… 😁

I could be wrong because I haven't seen this, so it is just a guess. It seems like all of your pebbles might be from overheating? I looked at your picture a dozen times between yesterday and today and I came to this conclusion because all of it happens just right in the middle.

The weird thing (which is why I keep going back to look at it), is that it seems to follow a pattern...going along the pattern of your swirls. Maybe it is caused by the td or one of your colors. I dunno.

Try planing the soaps, see if that gets rid of them, or to see if they come back.

Otherwise, very pretty swirl!
I suggest planing them as well. The bumps should disappear.

The plastic juice containers that are sold at the Dollar Store are perfect for mixing lye. Just make sure the number on the bottom of the container is a 5. They are like $1.50 each for a 2-quart size container.
Thank you I will try the dollar store again but I ve been having trouble finding containers with the 5 on it that comes with a lid that can screw on and off. That's what I would really like I have Rubbermaid containers that I use that are good for mixing right away Im sure they would work too Im just trying to find something a little safer cause I have pets and clumsy teenagers lol.😄

Why do you need a lid? I buy the juice containers in which to mix my lye water. I mix it and use it - I do heat transfer so my lye water is not sitting out most of the time. For a couple of my soaps, I mix the lye water the night before, put the tops on and place in my laundry sink overnight so nothing/no one can get into them. works nicely.

Why do you need a lid? I buy the juice containers in which to mix my lye water. I mix it and use it - I do heat transfer so my lye water is not sitting out most of the time. For a couple of my soaps, I mix the lye water the night before, put the tops on and place in my laundry sink overnight so nothing/no one can get into them. works nicely.
The lids are a must for master-batching, which is what @CLMP wants to do. ;)

Would it be possible to reuse a bleach or other cleaning solution container? Those cleaning containers usually have a safety lid on them
Possibly, if you can be sure it is 100% clean. Many cleaning solutions have strong scents to them that seem to transfer to the container, so that's something to consider.

The best recycled containers for MB lye, IMO, are laundry jugs like this one:
Screenshot 2023-03-05 at 5.32.39 PM.png

I unmolded and cut my butterfly swirl from last night. I love the colors. Black Raspberry Vanilla. Sorry for the photography on my stove lol

View attachment 71148
So very exquisite. Pieces of art. I am quite certain that you were Victor Horta in a previous life. He was an extremely talented Belgian artist and the founder of the Art Nouveau movement.

I have been fiddling with procreate, tinkercad, and my 3D printer, trying to make a mold for a silicone impression mat of marine phytoplankton to make soap for my oceanographer daughter. I have never used silicone or made an impression mat, and my learning curve for 3D printing is quite steep, but it is a fun practice project for all these skills. Input is welcome! These are my drawings made from her photos - the mat won’t have this level of detail.

86128FAE-B5A6-4937-B9B1-89AD3BE8EB51.jpeg

Thank you I will try the dollar store again but I ve been having trouble finding containers with the 5 on it that comes with a lid that can screw on and off. That's what I would really like I have Rubbermaid containers that I use that are good for mixing right away Im sure they would work too Im just trying to find something a little safer cause I have pets and clumsy teenagers lol.😄
Walmart has #5 containers with clamp on lids for under $5. Sometimes they are the Sterilite brand. May be in the kitchen section.

I have been fiddling with procreate, tinkercad, and my 3D printer, trying to make a mold for a silicone impression mat of marine phytoplankton to make soap for my oceanographer daughter. I have never used silicone or made an impression mat, and my learning curve for 3D printing is quite steep, but it is a fun practice project for all these skills. Input is welcome! These are my drawings made from her photos - the mat won’t have this level of detail.

View attachment 71223
Wow. Drawings are wonderful. I would think that even reducing the detail they would still be fabulous!

HELP NEEDED from the soap wizards! I made a batter that traced nice and slow a couple days ago, for this lovely chopstick swirl shared by Holly on YouTube. It was quite soft the next day so I unmolded it and left it for another 12 hours. Cut with my Hercules wire cutter, and the soap has this weird “pebbly” texture on the cut surfaces. This is the first time I’ve had this happen, and I’m flummoxed. Anyone have a clue what caused the textured surface?
I was going to guess glycerin rivers. If I am right, they are purely a cosmetic thing. Your soap looks totally awesome, great swirl, great color combo. :)secret:Just a tip that you may want to start a separate thread for problems. Stuff here gets pushed off screen pretty quick. It also makes for easier searching in the future should you want to reference it again.)

Latest posts

Back