What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Woke up my cat while running the heat gun to shrink the wrap on some soap. I didn't know she was sleeping in the chair at the head of the table, because of course, the seat is below eye level. After finishing up 3 bars, she finally poked her head up to peer at me, or should I say, glare at me for making all that noise and waking her up.

Of course I apologized for disturbing her and asked her if she wanted me to stop. In spite of her not answering, I did stop and she went back to sleep.

Other soapy stuff: evaluating my micas for my next soap project.

Zing

Reaction score
Somewhat tangentially soapy...

My bathroom is my happy place. For Valentine's Day past, husband bought me a lovely bath tray to hold everything I need. Only trouble is, I have to sit up to reach my wine... #firstworldproblems

So I took an outline of the bath and made this nifty device 😁
View attachment 59601
View attachment 59602
I'd like to place an order for a whiskey tumbler holder. Thanks!

kaygrrl

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Had fun experimenting with colorants again. The blue is phycocyanin, or blue spirulina, mixed with various other things - rose kaolin clay, TD, two iron oxides, and rhubarb. The red tray is red rice yeast with nothing, TD, and iron oxide. I don’t know if the blue will hold up, I actually wasn’t sure it would make it this far.

View attachment 55598View attachment 55599View attachment 55600
Beautiful blues! So how has the blue held up?

LynetteO

Reaction score

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far the molds I use for lotion bars are my most successful bath bombs. Pack em and leave em! Pop em out when they’re hard. No pressing, breaking... they’re a good size, so they float nice.
Was gonna make soap today, but tweaked my back. This morning was brutal. I’m glad I got to make anything at all today!! Thank goodness it’s feeling better!

Attachments

Zing

Reaction score
So kinda a soapy experience today. Decades ago, in the late 90s, a couple gave us homemade CP soap for Christmas and it was incredible and lovely. At the time, it was their tradition to spend a day making soap to give as gifts. It was the first time that I sat up and thought, hmm, this is awesome soap, I should try to make it myself someday!

'Someday' turned into 2017 when I decided to give homemade CP soap as Christmas gifts myself.

This couple now continues to make a simple holy trinity of oils soap, unscented and uncolored. They have not discovered this awesome sub-culture of soapers, they have not watched any YouTubes, Instagram, social media, or visited this forum. They have expressed surprise when I use the word 'soaping' as a verb. Innocent little lambs in the woods that they are, and we love them dearly.

Today these friends visited our "new" home and wanted the grand tour. They even wanted to see the basement! The basement where we hide all of our crap in a desperate effort to keep our house presentable for company-- and where I soap. I have 5 soaps curing and on display, and several batches in shoe boxes. They got excited to see all the soap. The wife says, with great affection, "thank you, Zing, for completely wrecking the idea that we would ever again give away our soap as gifts." LOL -- they were the ones to inspire me to soap in the first place! I actually really like their soap, especially their rosehip soap using rosehips from their garden. They are dear, dear friends and I will be forever grateful for introducing me to CP soap.

And that, folks, is my origin story.

Last edited:

VikingChick

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The basement where we hide all of our crap in a desperate effort to keep our house presentable for company--
So having grown up in iowa and then living in Minnesota for 18 years, i totally get this! I miss having a basement! 😂😂😂

Vicki C

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So kinda a soapy experience today. Decades ago, in the late 90s, a couple gave us homemade CP soap for Christmas and it was incredible and lovely. At the time, it was their tradition to spend a day making soap to give as gifts. It was the first time that I sat up and thought, hmm, this is awesome soap, I should try to make it myself someday!

'Someday' turned into 2017 when I decided to give homemade CP soap as Christmas gifts myself. This couple now continues to make a simple holy trinity of oils soap, unscented and uncolored. They have not discovered this awesome sub-culture of soapers, they have not watched any YouTubes, Instagram, social media, or visited this forum. They have expressed surprise when I use the word 'soaping' as a verb. Innocent little lambs in the woods that they are, and we love them dearly.

Today these friends visited our "new" home and wanted the grand tour. They even wanted to see the basement! The basement where we hide all of our crap in a desperate effort to keep our house presentable for company-- and where I soap. I have 5 soaps curing and on display, and several batches in shoe boxes. They got excited to see all the soap. The wife says, with great affection, "thank you, Zing, for completely wrecking the idea that we would ever again give away our soap as gifts." LOL -- they were the ones to inspire me to soap in the first place! I actually really like their soap, especially their rosehip soap using rosehips from their garden. They are dear, dear friends and I will be forever grateful for introducing me to CP soap.

I would love to hear everyone’s origin story! My journey started when my kids (now 34 and 35) were homeschooling, we went to visit a kind neighbor couple to watch them make soap. We were watching people do what they did - also visited a bread baker, a blacksmith, others I can’t think of. In any case I was immediately smitten, but terrified of lye, as I think many beginners are. I had another friend who made soap and recommended the Susan Miller Cavitch book, and I started making my own. For years I made soap each fall for Christmas gifts in a gigantic slab mold and sometimes timidly ventured into colors, swirls, etc. Then I discovered the amazing world of soapers on YouTube and never looked back!

ResolvableOwl

Reaction score
Did not hold up AT ALL! 🙄 Oh well this is how we learn I guess.
View attachment 59645View attachment 59646
Glad you shared these outcomes – I guess you'll have quite some more treasures hidden in your archives 😁

Phycocyanin is a difficult stuff. Such a beautiful, deep blue when it's leaking out of spirulina infusion. But it instantly discoloured for me when I added a few drops of base (dilute sodium carbonate already ruined it, not to speak of NaOH at all) 🙁 Actually I'm impressed that your soaps had some tint at all to begin with.
When I used spirulina for my sushi nori I added a ton of it, to just use the generic chlorophyll green (and the seaweed smell), but the infusion had been pointless and all the phycocyanin had long been gone.

Vicki C

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you shared these outcomes – I guess you'll have quite some more treasures hidden in your archives 😁

Phycocyanin is a difficult stuff. Such a beautiful, deep blue when it's leaking out of spirulina infusion. But it instantly discoloured for me when I added a few drops of base (dilute sodium carbonate already ruined it, not to speak of NaOH at all) 🙁 Actually I'm impressed that your soaps had some tint at all to begin with.
When I used spirulina for my sushi nori I added a ton of it, to just use the generic chlorophyll green (and the seaweed smell), but the infusion had been pointless and all the phycocyanin had long been gone.
I suppose it would work in a rematch or in M&P? Such a beautiful blue. As you just said.

ResolvableOwl

Reaction score
Possibly. My current spirulina source are pills (shame on me), but I'm keeping an eye on powdered phycocyanin extract … some day … homemade spirulina infusion just isn't concentrated enough to be useful to dye anything else than beverages.
Maybe M&P is pH wise just at the edge of what doesn't destroy phycocyanin yet (but then it should work for HP too?). Or go the syndet route.

LynetteO

Reaction score
So kinda a soapy experience today. Decades ago…

My origin story began with receiving a bar of homemade soap from my boss, my very 1st year as a secretary @ Montessori K-8th school. I 🥰 🧼. The next October she asked if others wanted to learn as she used to teach soap making & has 20+ wooden loaf molds. I said yes. So for next few years I made soap every October for Christmas 🎅 🎁 🧼. Then I took a soap coloring class @ GreenCastleSoap here is Spokane, Wa. Tracy introduced us to a SAP chart & explained the math to calculate lye. The 🧼 🐛 officially but me HARD. I have made numerous batches since April. Then I found this forum & am as happy as a kid @ Christmas! I absolutely love how helpful & informative everyone is. Huge 🤗 to all y’all! That’s my origin story. p.s. I made my 1st soap dish to go with 🎄 🎁 🧼 138835DA-F407-4844-B9F8-081C448BC58D.jpeg

Last edited: