What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of soaps sweating, I was very concerned when I noticed that one of my cardboard boxes of cured soap was very wet, like something had spilled in it. Then I discovered it was a bunch of soap bars sitting in there absorbing water out of the air and leaking it into the box!

I haven't made any actual soap for a while but made some other things with mum on her holiday visit here. The best looking are these bath bombs, and a shampoo bar I made in a mould I designed myself and printed on the 3d printer. (I'm having so much fun with that thing!) I'm amazed at the amount of detail that actually came through in the bar 😄
IMG_20210720_185702.jpgIMG_20210720_185729.jpg

Mobjack Bay

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been away from home for 4 out of the last 5 weeks, so not much soap is happening. I’m really missing my soap making sessions! I’ll be home by the weekend and think I’ll try one more confetti soap for the unchallenge before the month draws to a close. I’m also hoping to get last month’s soap dough canes into a loaf.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking of soaps sweating, I was very concerned when I noticed that one of my cardboard boxes of cured soap was very wet, like something had spilled in it. Then I discovered it was a bunch of soap bars sitting in there absorbing water out of the air and leaking it into the box!
Was this box open or closed? Were the soaps bare? I assume they were not yet wrapped & labeled yet?

I line my cardboard trays (box-tops/can box bottoms) with paper and above that plastic mesh, then put the soaps on top of the mesh. The purpose of this was to prevent damage to the cardboard so I could re-use it and to allow for a bit of extra air-flow with the plastic mesh.

Even doing this, the weepy soaps do leak moisture that drips and leaves some discoloration on the paper below. A couple of times, it's been enough to moisten the cardboard itself. Those cardboards get tossed into the recycle bin.

As for storing cured soap inside a closed cardboard box, I don't do that until they have been wrapped and labeled. Luckily I have never had soap inside a closed box weep.

Nanna

Reaction score
I am waiting for my second batch ever to harden...going on 48 hours. I can see how addicting this could be though.

when you wash stuff, don;t you just do it right away or is it better to wait?
I always add about 3 tsp of salt for a 4 lb batch. Hardens over night. If I was ready ever in the morning I could cut before bed. Or put it in the freezer. Like a lot of us patience is terrible 😬. Just so excited to see the outcome.
As for cleanup I scrape everything clean into my main bowl and wait a day or 2 until it’s safe, scrape more into my scrap bowl then wash since it’s now soap.

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Made another batch in the series of bars for the ladies' retreat gift bag order. Decided to go uncolored with a nice blend of two scents that I have used before, along with some vanilla stabilizer (from BCN) that I have not used with either fragrance before. And...

Holy acceleration and ricing! Neither fragrance has accelerated on me before; perhaps mixing them, or adding the VCS, changed that reaction? Dunno. After beating it into submission with the SB, I had to glop it into a slab mold instead of pouring into the detailed cavity molds that were planned.

Banged it down so hard that a screw fell out of my craft table. Oops. Checked an hour later, and there was ¼" of oil across the entire top of the slab. 😫 I really wasn't in the mood to hot process, so I took a whisk and beat it all back together in the mold. It now looks like overcooked HP soap, but at least it smells good and seems to be staying together. Here's to hoping that the inside looks nicer than the top!

IMG_1461.JPG

Nanna

Reaction score
Made another batch in the series of bars for the ladies' retreat gift bag order. Decided to go uncolored with a nice blend of two scents that I have used before, along with some vanilla stabilizer (from BCN) that I have not used with either fragrance before. And...

Holy acceleration and ricing! Neither fragrance has accelerated on me before; perhaps mixing them, or adding the VCS, changed that reaction? Dunno. After beating it into submission with the SB, I had to glop it into a slab mold instead of pouring into the detailed cavity molds that were planned.

Banged it down so hard that a screw fell out of my craft table. Oops. Checked an hour later, and there was ¼" of oil across the entire top of the slab. 😫 I really wasn't in the mood to hot process, so I took a whisk and beat it all back together in the mold. It now looks like overcooked HP soap, but at least it smells good and seems to be staying together. Here's to hoping that the inside looks nicer than the top!

View attachment 59500
🤞

Zing

Reaction score
Wow. Major soaping thang today! I met @GemstonePony in real life, wicky wicky what?! In a strip mall parking lot, like an exchange on the down low, LOL. She's destashing and I got a ton o' goodies! I feel like a little kid on Christmas morning! Can't wait to start experimenting with new essential oils, raspberry seed oil, mango butter, aloe vera something, and all kinds of stuff! I am fresh out of rosemary EO and now I have it to make my fave recipe. Bless you, @GemstonePony and best wishes on your transitions!

ResolvableOwl

Reaction score
Had started new batches of some soft oils, and they misbehaved (instant thick trace after a mere second of SBing, I'm hearing you @AliOop 😐). I wanted to get to the bottom of it, to better know which of the oils is troublesome before making my next full-size batch.
So I started a somewhat systematic trace/saponification speed test: EDIT I just realised that it is appropriate to start a new thread for this:

Virgogoddess

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made face bars with triple butters, triple milks and basically every additive I could throw in! The pink ones are rice milk and vegan. Essential oil blends, smells so good! My whole house smells like them! .

Attachments

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mum has just gone home, we did some great making during the week and finished up with some soaps yesterday. First lard recipe for me, so I'm very curious to see how it comes out!
Mum picked the colours (mix of red, purple, and activated charcoal), the fragrance (dragon heart) and the confetti (black and white).
IMG_20210722_183415.jpg

I was hoping the lard recipe would give plenty of working time, but it was hard to tell if it actually did, because I was doing a lot of talking and explaining while making it. It was getting fairly thick by the time we got it in the moulds.
IMG_20210723_174913.jpg

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Omg I’m actually making soap today. I’ve had these batches prepped for a MONTH! I’ve been taking some time off, and also deep in a bath bomb rabbit hole. Last night I dreamed I was at my farmers market booth and I was almost out of soap. My client cancelled today, which sucks because money. But, I’m free to make soap! Yay!

Attachments

Nanna

Reaction score
I had a great week, worried about my first mulled wine but it’s okay, scented with orange peel, cedar/lavender, cinnamon and clove. Added red clay and yellow dock infused oil hoping it will stay red.
Pumpkin spice latte hp with pumpkin spice, coffee grounds and instant coffee and vanilla extract for swirl.
Mojito muddle because I didn’t have enough to fill 2 molds so quickly made another sm batch to put on top (should’ve swirled first😬) scented with peppermint, spearmint and lime eo and made with coconut milk for white and colored with indigo and green clay with barley grass powder.
Last is my hp sunset(?) red clay and indigo. Thought the two mixed would be purpley but not☺. Scented with a citrus blend and lavender.

Attachments

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
Made a very complicated batch of soap today for the July challenge. It took half the day assembling and mixing and waiting and waiting, then more mixing and waiting and mixing and weighing and maths. By the time I was finished it was time to take my daughter to work. Yikes!

I’m yet again waiting to hear back about a job. Good grief. This one is extremely promising and the people I’ve interviewed with have been fabulous. The last job offer I got (and turned down) told me more about the company and culture than I probably wanted to know. Monthly drug test…WHAT!?!?

Anyway, this job, if I get it, would offer me loads of geeky science stuff to be on the periphery of, including forensic stuff. If I don’t get it, ugh. The last conversation ended with “We’d love to have you come to the office to meet with the rest of the team.” Seems like a good sign, right?

I’d like to be at a place where making soap isn’t the highlight of my day but rather a cherry on the top of my week.

Last edited:

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally pulled myself out of the rut I was in. Last night I had a dream that I was at the farmers market and didn’t have hardly any soap! 😆 My subconscious trying to tell me something?
Got my new bath bomb molds and my air brush. Now to try and learn how to use them.
I feel like I’m back in the saddle!
Yeehaw!

Attachments