What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I have the oils and lye solution all set to make soap. But I can’t decide on the fragrance or colors! It’s either Honey Patchouli. Bottom layer uncolored (the FO discolors to an orangish tan). AC “mica” line, and top is colored with TD.

Or rosemary mint fragrance oil. Bottom layer would be green and top yellow.

Or the two fragrances I tested that are two of the best smelling FOs I’ve ever tested: Willow and Ivy from BB or Calabrian Bergamot Violet from EBB.

By the end of the day I’ll figure it out. 😜

I need to wrap and label a a lot of soap. I’m thinking g of “hiring” my daughter to bevel and wrap my soaps.

I made a 60% beef tallow soap. My first time working with tallow. It stayed fluid just like lard. Since it stayed fluid for so long, I decided to try a simple in the pot swirl, which I've never been successful with yet. It is in the oven CPOPing right now. It looks pretty muddy, but we'll see tomorrow for sure I guess. 😊

Another non-soapy project unfortunately! Making an automatic door opener for the chickens:
View attachment 59306
So far you still have to press a button, but it beats going through the run to open the door manually (and risking the rooster gauntlet). Next version will hopefully open automatically when it gets bright in the morning, after I figure out how to hook up those sensors...
That’s amazing! I’m chicken obsessed. I can’t have them right now. But I belong to all the groups! When the time comes, I’ll be ready!!!

Bath bomb making is improving. Less fails, and the fails I have I’ve turned into a decent product for my sale basket. I’ve got them in the dehydrator at the lowest setting. Even my dehumidifier can’t handle the cold fog we’ve got going! Edit: they’re scented with lavender, lime, and ylang ylang essential oils and because of the dehydrator, and 3 batches, my entire garage and house smells good!
MUSTfinish packaging 3 soaps for farmers market this weekend.

Attachments

• E24D7519-EC25-4FCF-A6DB-DBD4E9FD1366.jpeg
    E24D7519-EC25-4FCF-A6DB-DBD4E9FD1366.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 11
  • FD04BD00-2AB4-44F4-8F26-5BF0B0E75845.jpeg
    FD04BD00-2AB4-44F4-8F26-5BF0B0E75845.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 8
  • A80B558A-701E-4959-B7D9-6CADBCA092BB.jpeg
    A80B558A-701E-4959-B7D9-6CADBCA092BB.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 141A958B-C8B9-435D-8553-0345E4C2179A.jpeg
    141A958B-C8B9-435D-8553-0345E4C2179A.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
This batch of soap is a long time coming. Went through a rough patch a few years ago and started every morning lighting a candle. One of those candles was BBW Mahogany Teakwood. I tested one mahogany teakwood previously that was a massive fail so I was hesitant to try another. Flaming Candle’s is an EXACT duplicate.

I’m slowing gaining more and more male customers and though this is a definite masculine fragrance, I think a lot of women will like it, too.
1A844DC8-1B8C-4267-8DF3-8C5B28A2CEAF.jpeg

Also, this FO decelerated my batter. I’m a slow soaper. More than enough time to swirl and swirl and swirl and swirl and swirl some more. I’m so giddy!!!

I have a verry sensitive skin and have used a 50/50 Aleppo soap before wich was too much for me so I made this one with 21.62 percent of laurel fruit oil at a 27.59 lye concentration

Thank you. I have 4 ounces left of the LBO so I might try a batch with less to compare. I did purchase a bar of 40/60 LBO/OO on Amazon and I don't like it as much as mine. Maybe 45/55 will be just right for me.

A random side note: Lauric acid, the main fatty acid in coconut, palm kernel oil, babaçu…, is named after laurel. Laurel is also the only major source of lauric acid that isn't a palm tree. (There were experiments with genetically modified canola to produce lauric acid in temperate climates, but they were abandoned because coconut and palm kernel oil are so cheap.)
50% laurel oil equals about 25% coconut oil in the content of lauric acid, which is considered the main irritant in high-“cleansing” soaps.

Interesting to know. I usually don't do well with high OO or CO but this doesn't seem to bother me. I was wondering if it was because of the high linoleic content? According to Soapee calc, the 50/50 has 19% LA, well above any soaps I've ever made.

I made a 60% beef tallow soap. My first time working with tallow. It stayed fluid just like lard. Since it stayed fluid for so long, I decided to try a simple in the pot swirl, which I've never been successful with yet. It is in the oven CPOPing right now. It looks pretty muddy, but we'll see tomorrow for sure I guess. 😊
I love tallow in soap and I love the first cut and being surprised by the inside. It's one of my favorite things about soaping.

I was wondering if it was because of the high linoleic content? According to Soapee calc, the 50/50 has 19% LA, well above any soaps I've ever made.
Welcome to the linoleic rabbit hole! 😜
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/linoleics-anonymous.83688Joke aside, linoleic acid does make lovely soaps (though with severe caveats like hardness and danger of rancidity). I think a bit of it like the anarchist little sister of oleic acid. It behaves quite similar, arguably more demanding to keep under control, but then it can indeed improve some issues of high-oleic soaps, like the weird chalky feel that many castile-style soaps tend to leave on the skin. I myself rarely make soap with much less than your 19% of linoleic acid :)

While olive oil is a moderate source of linoleic acid itself, laurel oil has a truly unique profile that adds appreciable (but manageable) amounts of linoleic acid – but also lauric acid, that counteracts the soft/mushy nature of high oleic/linoleic acids, and boosts lather.
I'd likely use laurel oil a lot if I could stand its smell (or there were a desodorised variant somewhere to get out there).

I have been working on this project for far too many days. Although it is mindless and can be done while sitting watching television. I decided to make soap dough and put it through an extruder to make my own soap sprinkles. What a tedious process. I thought I could cut them as they came out of the extruder but that just smooshed them together. I think I will just go back to using candy sprinkles after these are gone. Lol. 8AF317F7-DD2F-48BB-8F58-F9FB542BC1D5.jpegE8A9E84B-40F3-426D-A23B-5B974F0D2078.jpeg

I have been working on this project for far too many days. Although it is mindless and can be done while sitting watching television. I decided to make soap dough and put it through an extruder to make my own soap sprinkles. What a tedious process. I thought I could cut them as they came out of the extruder but that just smooshed them together. I think I will just go back to using candy sprinkles after these are gone. Lol. View attachment 59328View attachment 59327
I’ve been meaning to do this! It looks like a good tv watching activity.

Getting ready to officially add my whipped body butter to my website but worried it might melt during shipping. Sending a test jar to my mom, who lives in Arizona. If it melts during transport, I'll hold off on adding it, or maybe I just limit it to local orders, which would be a shame because most of my orders are out of state. I don't want to mess with having to use ice packs because that sounds like a PITA.

Wondering if anyone else limits the shipment of certain products during the summer. Thoughts?

Threw away 30-ish bars of soap that had developed DOS. I think I've narrowed it down to using a different brand of buttermilk, but I'm going to do an FO test batch tonight just to make sure it isn't the FO, as it was a new bottle. I'm not even sad about throwing away those bars, just worried about my customers.

Getting ready to officially add my whipped body butter to my website but worried it might melt during shipping. Sending a test jar to my mom, who lives in Arizona. If it melts during transport, I'll hold off on adding it, or maybe I just limit it to local orders, which would be a shame because most of my orders are out of state. I don't want to mess with having to use ice packs because that sounds like a PITA.

Wondering if anyone else limits the shipment of certain products during the summer. Thoughts?
I don't know what your ingredients are and you are smart to test the mail. I safely shipped my lotion bars (1/3 beeswax, 1/3 butter, 1/3 liquid oil) to Hawaii.

Back