What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't throw it away! You can definitely rebatch it. Put the whole thing into an oven-safe container, and put that in the oven. Turn the oven on to 200F, and watch it closely until it becomes molten and soft. This could take some time, and you might need to add a bit of liquid (1 T at a time) to help it along. When it is stir-able, mix it up, pour back into your mold, and cut when it is firm like cheddar cheese.
Thank you so much for your encouragement & advice. I'm going to do this soon.

I am out of olive oil, so not much ACTUAL soapy stuff going on here.

I decided to list a bunch of soaps on Etsy, just for S n G, but they are still in draft mode. I had fun writing descriptions...need to work on my photographs. I got to the shipping part of the listing and I got so frazzled. It really stumps me.

I am out of olive oil, so not much ACTUAL soapy stuff going on here.

I decided to list a bunch of soaps on Etsy, just for S n G, but they are still in draft mode. I had fun writing descriptions...need to work on my photographs. I got to the shipping part of the listing and I got so frazzled. It really stumps me.
For the shipping part, weigh one soap (if all soaps in that listing are about the same weight, if not weigh the heaviest one) then add the weight of the packaging it will be shipped in and enter that as your total weight. Then also enter the dimensions of the package it will be shipped in. If someone buys multiple soaps, it will multiply the weight you have listed by however many items purchased. What can happen when someone buys multiple items, is that they can be overcharged for shipping but you can go back and issue a refund for that part of the order (which is what I do if they are overcharged).

Well, despairing at the poor selection of things available to me as opposed to the guys in the States, I've bought some pourable silicone to try to make my own tall & skinny mould to my preferred dimensions.

Phase 1 complete so far; I found a likely bit of firewood and planed/thicknessed/mitred it to the size that I want my finished mini-loaves to be. (4.5cm X 7cm X 18cm)

IMG_20210427_134612.jpg IMG_20210427_144537.jpg

I turned soap on a stick into confetti soap! I knew I was going to experience soap on a stick, just didn't think it was going to be my 3rd try, but glad it happened. Lesson learned, don't soap at high temperatures when you also have an accelerating fragrance.

first pic is the soap when I tried to glop the batter in but as you can see, it was starting to turn rock solid. There was still so much soap in the plastic container so I looked into rebatching but those also didn't look the best IMO, so I thought confetti soap and I AM SO HAPPY with how they turned out! (also mixed another fragrance in and I am obsessed!). I think I'm going to cut up the first soaps and do the same!
64114507985__DD111891-047E-4C71-B572-6B3614B44C59.JPG
IMG_5351.JPG

You've got silicone rubber? Why then did you plane that beautiful rugged piece of firewood into a boring cuboid shape? Embed the wood as-is into the resin, and you get a unique log-of-wood mould, ideal for wood grain swirl soap.
Don't worry, if there's one thing there's absolutely no shortage of around me, it's rugged and interesting pieces of wood! Flat and level surfaces, on the other hand, are much more rare!

I turned soap on a stick into confetti soap! I knew I was going to experience soap on a stick, just didn't think it was going to be my 3rd try, but glad it happened. Lesson learned, don't soap at high temperatures when you also have an accelerating fragrance.

first pic is the soap when I tried to glop the batter in but as you can see, it was starting to turn rock solid. There was still so much soap in the plastic container so I looked into rebatching but those also didn't look the best IMO, so I thought confetti soap and I AM SO HAPPY with how they turned out! (also mixed another fragrance in and I am obsessed!). I think I'm going to cut up the first soaps and do the same!
View attachment 56607View attachment 56608
I love it too! Very cool.

I made a berry soap today after molding melt and pour raspberries yesterday to put on top, first time with melt and pour and with embeds!
I usually use what I would call fresh, herbal scents and musk or oud scents but wanted to branch out into fruits.

Attachments

• BB3C7CCC-85DD-402F-8DC3-120163697B87.jpeg
    BB3C7CCC-85DD-402F-8DC3-120163697B87.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 14
image.jpg
Didn’t come out as I’d hoped. Used NS Sugared Strawberry. I’ve used it in lotion bars and shampoo bars. It smells incredible. First time I soaped with it because I knew it would accelerate. Also used BB Lime fo which, by the way, smells so authentic. Decided to put the lime in the green batter and the strawberry in the red. It was the best call. While the green batter remained nicely fluid, the red seized up.

I have no idea how the inside will turn out. Decided to put a mica oil drizzle on top. Not my favorite design but...meh.

Last edited:
I keep cutting raw beef tallow, rendering and washing it. Today I took a portion of diced tallow to my second daughter's to grind it in her grinder.
View attachment 56586

It was a slow process with many pauses cause I didn't want to overload the grinder.
I was pleasantly surprised how fast the ground tallow was rendered and how completely the tallow pieces liquified. The yield was considerably better than that from larger (nonground) pieces. Not to mention that I would render diced tallow for about six hours and now it was a matter of half an hour :)
View attachment 56588
This is what I've been doing! It makes so much difference. I still have one gallon zip lock of fat in the freezer from the cows we lost in a storm a couple of months ago. I really need to render it, I've run out. But I used that as an excuse to experiment with lard! 😅

I made a batch of salt bars tonight! First attempt, so I stuck with 80% CO, 20% olive, and 50% canning salt added at medium trace. It took forever to trace, and I was so nervous because last time that happened, I got false trace. I checked the temp though, and it was still above 95 deg before I poured, so fingers crossed!

My cavity molds arrived last week, so I tested some Nurture Soaps fragrance oils in a high lard recipe. I've attached a picture, and I plan on posting my notes in the fragrance section, as I couldn't find any info on some of them.

Attachments

• PXL_20210419_110448188.jpg
    PXL_20210419_110448188.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 8
For the shipping part, weigh one soap (if all soaps in that listing are about the same weight, if not weigh the heaviest one) then add the weight of the packaging it will be shipped in and enter that as your total weight. Then also enter the dimensions of the package it will be shipped in. If someone buys multiple soaps, it will multiply the weight you have listed by however many items purchased. What can happen when someone buys multiple items, is that they can be overcharged for shipping but you can go back and issue a refund for that part of the order (which is what I do if they are overcharged).
Ok, didn't know there was a refund option...

Didn't make any soap today (o_O) but I did take delivery of some new supplies; some very cute colour-coded pipettes so I don't have to worry about mixing fragrances unintentionally, some new bath bomb moulds in a variety of sizes, and some small boxes for storing my cured soap stash 😁
Everything is now at least boxed according to fragrance group, all though quite a lot still need individual bagging as well.
View attachment 56557
I don't know if this is ideal for your setup, but I've taken to taping a pipette to each of my EO bottles like the way WD40 used to tape the little straw to the side of the can.

My soaping thing was yesterday, but I'm so pleased I found this-a Little Dipper Crock Pot. Thrift stores for the win, only $4. So dang happy. Thanks to @TheGecko for showing me the way. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210427_125727377.jpg
    IMG_20210427_125727377.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 25
I've taken to taping a pipette to each of my EO bottles like the way WD40 used to tape the little straw to the side of the can.
That's a great idea actually!

I started out with 2 of the semi-disposable kind, and one stopped holding a seal pretty quickly so I was a bit stuck for a while. The new ones I bought are pretty sturdy, and the suction part at the top is coloured silicone and removable so the whole thing can be washed really well. Kind of like an old fashioned glass eye dropper in design. I still only have 10 though, which is not enough to have a dedicated one for each, but should be plenty to get me through a blending session without having to worry about cross-contamination.

If I need to replace them in future I may well do a bulk buy and try out your idea :)

I couldn't resist cutting last evening's soap before I left for work this morning. Still need to trim up the edges and get good pictures but I'm so excited! It was my first time using an embed mold and I'm pleased with the result.

I loved how the bottom layer looked freshly poured!
20210427_200506.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back