What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20210425_142818.jpg

I made a bar of rose and lavender soap that really smelled great and soft🥰😍

I cut my newest batch today, still not 100% satisfied... but happy with it. First time using Soy wax. I can’t seem to avoid the soda ash...I used Tea tree, peppermint, eucalyptus, and lavender EOs. I also tried the line pour technique but ended up with this.
That’s a fabulous result for the first time using soy wax. Your soap looks just like a One Pot Wonder! If you want to achieve the thin line look, all you need to do is change the direction of the cut. When you cut parallel to the poured lines, the thin lines are revealed on the front and back of the bars. Cutting perpendicular to the lines gives you the One Pot Wonder effect.

In my experience, Lavender EO likes to ash, especially if the batter is poured thin, and soy wax likes to ash, too. I‘ve greatly reduced ash problems by using relatively high lye concentrations (35-40%) for my recipes.

Didn't make any soap today (o_O) but I did take delivery of some new supplies; some very cute colour-coded pipettes so I don't have to worry about mixing fragrances unintentionally, some new bath bomb moulds in a variety of sizes, and some small boxes for storing my cured soap stash 😁
Everything is now at least boxed according to fragrance group, all though quite a lot still need individual bagging as well.
IMG_20210426_110543.jpg

My potential SMF challenge soap went into the freezer so I could unmould and hopefully cut while it is still firm. Also unmolded the swirl loaf that was made from the leftovers (the wannabe TCS that turned into just a swirled top since the batter was too thin). It's already starting to ash on top of the charcoal areas, but I'm still liking the soft color combo.
IMG_1360.JPG

Just got back to town after visiting my sister. She is the one who likes to "decorate" with my soap instead of using my soap! LOL and I love her dearly, but WTH??!! I was encouraged this time to see 3 of my bars in use. The one bar was over 2 years old, scent had faded, but incredible bubbles and lather. I made it when I was still using olive oil -- good proof that long cures are good.

I keep cutting raw beef tallow, rendering and washing it. Today I took a portion of diced tallow to my second daughter's to grind it in her grinder.
Mletje govejega loja 26apr2021 IMG_4898.JPG

It was a slow process with many pauses cause I didn't want to overload the grinder.
I was pleasantly surprised how fast the ground tallow was rendered and how completely the tallow pieces liquified. The yield was considerably better than that from larger (nonground) pieces. Not to mention that I would render diced tallow for about six hours and now it was a matter of half an hour :)
Scvrt goveji loj 26apr2021 IMG_4901.JPG

I keep cutting raw beef tallow, rendering and washing it. Today I took a portion of diced tallow to my second daughter's to grind it in her grinder.
View attachment 56586

It was a slow process with many pauses cause I didn't want to overload the grinder.
I was pleasantly surprised how fast the ground tallow was rendered and how completely the tallow pieces liquified. The yield was considerably better than that from larger (nonground) pieces. Not to mention that I would render diced tallow for about six hours and now it was a matter of half an hour :)
View attachment 56588
I'm so jealous of the grinder!! The last time I was at the butcher's I mentioned how difficult it is to chop up the fat, and he just laughed and offered to sell me a mincing machine 😝

It's the one thing putting me off wanting to render more in the very near future... I'm more inclined to wait until I really start running low again.

@Ladka: Aww, these eggs! 🤗😴
Oh, I missed those eggs in the background - so adorable!!

Here is the cut from what I thought was the failed TCS. Me of little faith. And so impatient, as you can see from the bunged up edges. 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_1369.JPG
    IMG_1369.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1370.JPG
    IMG_1370.JPG
    212.5 KB · Views: 26
I tried to make some crisp apple soap and it just hardened in a matter of seconds.
Silly me, used a new fragrance oil and for the first time, sodium lactate at the same time ( 1 Teaspoon for 500g of oil) .
So I don't know which is the culprit.
I was planning to make white and green, the green I had to scrape off the jug.
Any ideas what I can do?
Do I throw away or rebatch? I've never rebatched before.

Thank you so much for giving me a hearing.

Attachments

• PXL_20210424_072802861.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20210424_072802861.NIGHT.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 16
I tried to make some crisp apple soap and it just hardened in a matter of seconds.
Do I throw away or rebatch? I've never rebatched before.
Don't throw it away! You can definitely rebatch it. Put the whole thing into an oven-safe container, and put that in the oven. Turn the oven on to 200F, and watch it closely until it becomes molten and soft. This could take some time, and you might need to add a bit of liquid (1 T at a time) to help it along. When it is stir-able, mix it up, pour back into your mold, and cut when it is firm like cheddar cheese.

Cleaned up the mess left by the SMF challenge. The double rice shreds were malleable enough to be kneaded and shaped into individual silicone moulds. I practiced marble patterns together with the remaining spirulina soap dough :cool:
rice_marble_cpop.jpg

I “emergency”-CPOP'd them (2 hours at 50°C), and, expectedly, only the pure soap dough reacted noticeably by getting more firm, a bit translucent and deeper in colour. The HP dough became a bit tougher, but nothing noteworthy enough to change my mind about gelled soap dough.

The chili pepper is, stylistically correctly, made up from the remainders of the salmon (coloured with paprika kernel oil) in best soap dough manners.

Gosh, I just realised how surreal this must sound to someone without appropriate context.

Latest posts

Back