What soapy mistake have you made today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My recent soaping mistake - I was diluting a batch of liquid soap via canning jar method. I had one jar too many so put the last jar in a saucepan of water by itself. I've been canning for years and know better. I didn't put a rack or dishpad in the pan. Bottom of jar cracked clean off. I hated throwing away those 10 oz of beautiful, golden liquid. Hopefully I'll remember that next time I'm too smart for my own britches.

Soapy Mistake from last night. I was making sandalwood soap and just finished pouring all the oils together. I stirred the oils with the spatula and absentmindedly wiped up some oil that was running down the side of the spatula and put my finger in my mouth. Bad move, that spatula had also been used to stir the lye water and my tongue instantly started feeling like a battery was shocking the bejeezus out of it. 15 minutes of rinsing my mouth out, cursing my lack of foresight on that one.

Soapy Mistake from last night. I was making sandalwood soap and just finished pouring all the oils together. I stirred the oils with the spatula and absentmindedly wiped up some oil that was running down the side of the spatula and put my finger in my mouth. Bad move, that spatula had also been used to stir the lye water and my tongue instantly started feeling like a battery was shocking the bejeezus out of it. 15 minutes of rinsing my mouth out, cursing my lack of foresight on that one.

Ouch!

My NaOH and my KOH are in two different types of bottles. The former is beads and the latter is flakes.

I made liquid soap and got a lumpy mess. Certain that I had mismeasured something, I threw it out and whipped up a new batch -- which did exactly the same thing. That's when I finally read the label on the bottle and realized that not all of my NaOH is in the same type of bottle and not all of it is beads.

This was a couple of weeks ago when I was finishing up the top of my loaf (it did look kind of short) when my roommate came in and said "What are you doing with the rest of the soap in your bowl"? Ugh Had to run to my soaping closet and find a mold to put the rest in

This must be going around because I did the same thing LOL

But on a more serious note I have been using a heavy bottomed glass container for my lye water. Last week my fingers started burning like a lye burn and I could not figure out why. The glass had developed a crack and was leaking. When I was cleaning (no gloves) I must have swiped some of the leaked out lye (white powder by this point). Now looking for a stainless steel pitcher for lye water.

This was a couple of weeks ago when I was finishing up the top of my loaf (it did look kind of short) when my roommate came in and said "What are you doing with the rest of the soap in your bowl"? Ugh Had to run to my soaping closet and find a mold to put the rest in

But on a more serious note I have been using a heavy bottomed glass container for my lye water. Last week my fingers started burning like a lye burn and I could not figure out why. The glass had developed a crack and was leaking. When I was cleaning (no gloves) I must have swiped some of the leaked out lye (white powder by this point). Now looking for a stainless steel pitcher for lye water.

This is why we highly stress not using glass.

Got on SMF and started reading threads. And posting...

Have been missing you online. Figured work was demanding more than their pound of flesh! :)

I made a tried and trusted recipe and colour combo with a new FO that I didn't know accelerated (not mentioned in reviews). So stuffed up another batch. :(

But on a more serious note I have been using a heavy bottomed glass container for my lye water. The glass had developed a crack and was leaking. When I was cleaning (no gloves) I must have swiped some of the leaked out lye (white powder by this point). Now looking for a stainless steel pitcher for lye water.

You can also use plastic marked with a 2 or 5 in the triangle at the bottom.

It probably was not NaOH by the time you were washing up. If it had been mixed with water, what that white stuff was is probably soda ash. NaOH does not last very long exposed to the air.

Just for your peace of mind

I'm wondering how long does it normally take for a castile liquid soap to dilute. It's a very soft paste now, nigh liquid but dang, this soap is like a water pit.

Well let's see, which boo boo... First off I managed to tip over my measuring cup with my brown raw soap which I wanted for a bottom layer, then I picked up my jar of TD and dropped it, after that I went to get into my drawer of mixed colors in deli and spilled all of them out of the drawer. Fortunetly the tops did not come off. Was probably not the day I should have been soaping, but I did get 4 batches in their molds...
crying_with_laughter-3302.gif

Thanks I must have gotten the "tingling" from touching the bowls. I did use it Sunday when someone ask me if I made all this soap :). But would like to say yes not have red finger tips as proof :).

It probably was not NaOH by the time you were washing up. If it had been mixed with water, what that white stuff was is probably soda ash. NaOH does not last very long exposed to the air.

Just for your peace of mind

Last edited:
Thanks I must have gotten the "tingling" from touching the bowls. I did use it aa a selling point Sunday when someone ask me if I made all this soap :). But would like to say yes not have red finger tips as proof :).
I would certainly not advertise lye burns or red fingers when trying to sell soap. Guess I have to wondering how long you have been making and selling soap....

I thought about that also because I looked at some pitchers that had 6 which I know are usually not recyclable or at least that was the latest info I read.
Thanks

You can also use plastic marked with a 2 or 5 in the triangle at the bottom.
old

I don't advertise it bad way of typing the above story. Sorry.
Making soap about 3 years and am working on custom orders this week. Was sharing a mistake I made and it turns out it was not lye I was wiping up after all.

I would certainly not advertise lye burns or red fingers when trying to sell soap. Guess I have to wondering how long you have been making and selling soap....

Last edited:
Corrected the statement I made… But I have gotten lye tingles and I am sure I will make a mistake in the future with either taking my gloves off to to soon or not putting them on quickly enough.

Latest posts

Back