What soaps are you making for Christmas presents?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm new to soapmaking so I'm not sure if I will we be giving them as Christmas gifts. Wouldn't want to insult anyone w/my ugly soap. I currently have a strawberry-kiwi curing that I just made last night. I still have leftovers from my very first batch (unscented, castile) & my 2nd batch ("mechanic's" soap w/apricot seeds for scrubbing). No one in my family uses bar soap & one friend who is a tester told me last night that she still has 2 bars so I need to slow down. Luckily bar soap is all a guy friend of mine uses. He's in heaven. I was going to try to get a good scent & mold & make him a log, but finances are waaay too tight.

tisci said:
No one in my family uses bar soap & one friend who is a tester told me last night that she still has 2 bars so I need to slow down. Luckily bar soap is all a guy friend of mine uses. He's in heaven. I was going to try to get a good scent & mold & make him a log, but finances are waaay too tight.

No one in my family used bar soap BEFORE I started to make soap but now I am trying to convince everybody to use only my soap - they will save money and I can make more soap! Everybody wins!
I started soaping at the end of July and I gave away a lot of soap already and still have more then 70 bars at home. I am planning on giving more soap to family, friends and co-workers for Christmas so it is OK if I have leftover soap. It will not go bad (hopefully) so I will keep making more soap. I can't stop anyway, I am addicted.

I WAS going to give soap to family and friends, but they all asked if i would make a bunch for THEM to give as gifts! I am glad they like it that much though! :shock:

peteyfoozer said:
I WAS going to give soap to family and friends, but they all asked if i would make a bunch for THEM to give as gifts! I am glad they like it that much though! :shock:

What a great compliment to you. If anyone in my family said that to me, I'd probably keel over in shock.

Hazel said:
peteyfoozer said:

What a great compliment to you. If anyone in my family said that to me, I'd probably keel over in shock.

My sister buys soap baskets for me to give as gifts.

I've been working on making solid color soaps in deep pastel type colors. I have a purple, coral, blue-green, and a periwinkle blue so far. My plan is to put 3 or 4 together along with a nylon puff or two and a soap saver soapdish. Hopefully will find some inexpensive baskets for presentation. My family happily takes my soap - either they really like it, or they don't want to hurt my feelings and just humor me. No matter, fun to make and fun to give it away.

Just a thought

I've also run out of family and friends who really want as much soap as I am making. Thank goodness I've got grand kids.

I know this isn't cost effective, but in my community there are half way houses, women's shelters, nursing homes and people who need help from the food banks.
Have you thought of fixing small baskets filled with wonderful holiday soap
and perhaps a few other goodies and giving them to some of these people?

I'm betting it would be much appreciated!

Just a thought

I've also run out of family and friends who really want as much soap as I am making. Thank goodness I've got grand kids.

I know this isn't cost effective, but in my community there are half way houses, women's shelters, nursing homes and people who need help from the food banks.

Re: Just a thought

Donna said:

I had thought about taking some of the soap to the women's center but then I lost my nerve. It's one thing to give it to family and friends. Mainly they'll be nice about it even if they think it's crap. :lol:

if you are giving soap as gifts, how many bars per person do you usually give? I was thinking three per person...teachers, friends, family (We don't normally exchange gifts with extended family...too many of us. But I would give soap since I can't stop making it.)

That is what I am thinking 3 bars per family & some car soaps for the kids. I hope to find something cute for the girls.... For me everything will depend on how I end up packaging it.

I was goint to give one bar with a soap dish. IKEA has some nice wooden soap dishes for $2

I read your posts and I find myself in the same situation than some of you.
As I am seen as "the soapmaker" - call that "soap freak"-, people seem to think that I offer soap because I am too cheap to give something else. I am no cheap but finances are a lot tight (buy too much material for soaping... among other reasons). So... I begin to be shy offering soaps. I realize that friends who even bought my soaps don't so much use them. I see that they prefer Costco's cheap transparent soap.

Now, when I will at least succeed making this darn transparent soap (first try was not a success : the technique is not easy IMO) will they like it better ?

Latest posts

Back