What should I do ???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lavender.dreams.candles

Reaction score
Ok, I bought the kit from BCN and with several people from all my forums and groups
they all told me to measure my oils out first before doing a calculator.

Well, I had:
15.80oz of Coconut oil
15.40 oz of Palm oil
16oz of Canola oil

so I did the calculator and did what I was told and then I went to pour it into the mold
that came with the kit and I ended up with too much and it's not as smooth as it was when I got my trace it looks more like mashed potatoes than pudding.

I have quiet a bit left over too so I am pouring that into a silicone mold.

Now, why didn't the oils come out to the 16oz. that they were sold to me as???
I cut the plastic bottles apart to get every little bit of the hard oils to get to 16oz and I couldn't.

So, with all of this happening I poured what I could in the mold and didn't even worry about the swirl because I was so depressed at this point thinking I did everything and still it didn't work out.
It's in the mold and covered with clear plastic wrap and the covers on it and a towels is on all of it ..... I figured I would wait to see tomorrow night how it turned out.
Can someone tell me if there is any reason for me to be this paniced???

Also, is it better to order kits or to just buy everything separately ???

It is more cost efficient to buy everything separately.
Your oil shortage is to small to affect the recipe , imo, but the company is making more money if they are shortening every kit that way. It sounds like it traced pretty fast on you.It should be fine though . If you want to put a swirl in soap, for me it works best if I just bring the oils and lye to a light trace .I make soap with the oils and lye at room temperature , to give me more time to swirl etc. Hope this helps.

kitn

Yes this was my first batch.... this did all happen after I put in the fragrance (cucumber melon which came in the kit).. Also, when I went to take the small amount out for coloring it was suppose to be a bright green ,but, it turned out to be a terra cotta color.
It was after adding that and then taking my wooden stick to do a little swirl I then went to pour it into the mold that's when it was all "mashed potato" looking.... the top didn't it still looked smooth so I didn't know it was that way underneath.

I hope this time tomorrow night when I take it out of the mold that it turned out at least...... I thank you for lifting my spirits because I was sooo worried that I failed sooo badly and that I did worse than others.

I know that the left over I made into soap balls and Holy Hannah the fragrance smell was really strong.

I'll post pictures of it once I take it out of the mold tomorrow night.

You are welcome , pictures would be great .. I don't sweat about the soap turning out , 99.9% of the time you will still have soap , it may not look like your vision , but it is still usable soap. You can also reinvent it by shredding it etc and adding it to other batches.If you look in the gallery pictures here ,the lavender planet soap I made is a redo of a batch gone wrong.

Kitn

WOO HOO..... I took the loaf out of the mold tonight and it turned out and the green
color that turned terra cotta yesterday turned back to green.
It's still really oily but I figured tomorrow night when I start to cut it it should be a little less oily ..... Once I get it cut I'll post pics ..... I'm so happy it looks good so far.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement last night..... I was so worried.

x

:D whooooyah! :D

congrats, and welcome to the divine world of soapmaking! where you go from one violent mood swing to another, and one form of crisis to another!

you've picked a hobby that can sure raise your blood pressure! but the rewards are sooo sweet!

remember, if it was easy, they'd let kids do it! LOL!

monet :D

yep now if my next batch is better I can start giving my advice to people :lol: ......j/k .... with candles I am doing great..... but, my next batch I hope will turn out better and a lot less stressful than this one.....lol

I'm kinda sitting next to the loaf of soap and OMG does it smell great.... I have it sitting on my old buffet next to my window and it is really fragrancing my house (is that a word 'fragrancing' ???).... So, at least if nothing else I made a huge slab of cucumber melon room freshener.... :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back