what scale do you use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evergreen

Reaction score
Last night I killed my digital scale. I think what happened was that I removed the plastic wrap from a batch of hp soap and put tossed it on the table. It must have been touching my scale because the condensation dribbled into the button compartment of my scale. When I took it apart to clean it, I discovered it was a ridiculous maze of screws and inaccessible parts. In the process, I broke a connector to the electronics board. This was a Royal postal scale...battery operated. It had been acting a bit squidgy lately anyway and wouldn't recognize small increments while pouring into a container on the scale. (I couldn't even consider using it to weigh EOs.)

I'm going to buy a kitchen scale at Walmart today but I'd like to know what the "pro" soapers use for a scale to get a recommendation. I'd like to save up for a better scale by the end of the year.

I've been soaping for a few years now (mostly in 1 lb - 5lb batches) and I use a good ol' 11 lb escali that I originally purchased... I probably need to graduate and purchase a better one at this point. I've never had an over-lyed batch of soap, or a batch of soap that appears to be off according to my calculations, so I assume it's pretty accurate. I test it every once in awhile with an object of a known weight, and it's never let me down.

It goes out two decimal points, tares, and goes between oz/grams. It's inexpensive if you need a quick fix and don't do massive batches. Good luck on your scale search!

Could you post a model number for me? The two scales I owned (with only one surviving now) measure in one tenth of an ounce increments. The WeighMax scale I have weighs up to 75lb boxes but it can't be trusted for lighter things and gives me issues with fiber in plastic bags. (I am a hand spinner.) Put a heavy box on it and it's fine though. I didn't use that one for soapmaking and I don't really want to start--other than weighing out my finished loaves and bars for now. I'd like to check out the Escali and I think I'd have to order it from Amazon since they're not in the stores in my area.

I think eight pounds will be my max batch weight for the conceivable future. I normally make four pound batches right now.

Thanks!

It's this one, except mine is silver: http://www.amazon.com/Escali-Primo-Digi ... 415&sr=8-1

Sorry I don't have the model number, I'm in the middle of moving four hours away, and my soap stuff is in the NEW place, and I'm in the OLD place. Frustrating. But it's definitely this one. Simple on/off/tare button, battery operated, and goes between g/oz. I purchased mine two years ago off amazon at literally the exact same price.

I've spilled soap sludge all over this thing, and it's always been fine. I wipe it down with lysol wipes or a wet rag pretty regularly. About the only thing I haven't done to it is dunk it in a tub of water!

With all scales, I do a test run the moment I receive it with a few objects of known weights. That way if there is a problem, you can ship it back ASAP, before you end up with an expensive, un-salvageable batch of soap.

I hope this works for you, and good luck in your soapy endeavors!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back