What qualities of beer are kept when used in CP soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasha_88

Reaction score
I read that beer soap has the antibacterial qualities of yeast and also B vitamins. However, I boil beer before mixing it with lye, then it undergoes saponification. Can it be said that these qualities are kept when the yeast is long dead, especially if you use pasteurised beer and the B vitamins have evaporated?

I mostly found my soaps made from alcoholic drink has nice bubbles. My bars made from beers all lathers nicely, even when the original recipe sans the alcohol would not have much bubble. That's enough reason for me to use it in bars that will otherwise has little to no lather.

Lye is a caustic substance. IMHO...most of it is just label appeal. Cooked alcohol does retain sugar and sugar breaks down to create some extra bubbles.

Soap, by it's very nature is "anti-bacterial" so when you see those words they are buzz words for label appeal.
As others have noted, what is left in beer soap is the extra lather due to the sugars.

Agree. Label appeal and lather are my biggies. Although strong stouts may hold a bit of malt scent, most beers won't do that, so really there's not even a hop or malt scent to the soap.

Beer adds label appeal and bubbles. I actually was never under the impression that soap is "Anti Bacterial,", it is not. Soap has a fat-loving end and a water-loving end, so it breaks down fat and the water end washes it away. Corona virus is protected with a fatty lipid layer that soap loves to break down so it can disintegrate the virus. This is a bit of a short version.

An experimental CP batch that used boiled beer lathered better than it may have otherwise. However, the idea has occurred to me to just use lots of table sugar instead. Afterall, sugar is less tedious and cheaper and gives satisfactory results. .. ie if label appeal isn't a key motivator.

Sorbitol works even better than sugar for lather boosting without the possible overheating issues if you use lots of sugar but the cost is definitely higher.
Ooh that's new to me! I'd love to try it! I love lather but always worry about adding too much syrup, how much sorbitol can you add?
I can get them only slightly more expensive than regular sugar here so I'd love to swap!

Last edited:
Back