What now? Oil separating?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tee

Reaction score
I'm about to give up on this soap making!:hairpulling: I used goat milk in this and it traced nicely and I added Natures Oil Peppermint Essential Oil and noticed that it didnt seem to mix in. I kept stirring and stick blending and it appeared to be all mixed in. I did put on hearing pad...probably shouldn't have. Anyway about 4 hours later this is what it looks like.
Has anyone had experience with this essential oil?

Attachments

• 15677276045392228671508960092802.jpg
    15677276045392228671508960092802.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 15677276504063145953912828758170.jpg
    15677276504063145953912828758170.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 55
It looks like it over heated. If you add your EO/Fo to your oils before your lye mixture you’ll have less chance of them not being mixed properly.

It looks like it over heated. If you add your EO/Fo to your oils before your lye mixture you’ll have less chance of them not being mixed properly.
Hey! I mixed the EO in at trace, but it didnt seem to incorporate and oil kept pooling in my lye mix/oil mix

Can this be saved

Also, the essential oil left an oil spot on the paper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let it cool down, it might reabsorb. If not - put it in crockpot and cook on low for about 1-1.5 hrs (aka rebatching soap). Look up youtube videos on rebatching cold process. You may need to add a bit more EO at the end since some will evaporate during cooking.

Let it cool down, it might reabsorb. If not - put it in crockpot and cook on low for about 1-1.5 hrs (aka rebatching soap). Look up youtube videos on rebatching cold process. You may need to add a bit more EO at the end since some will evaporate during cooking.
Thanks!! I have it cooling in front of a fan now!

Is this glycerin rivers? Can I rebatch?

Attachments

• 1567779483871742264310226448972.jpg
    1567779483871742264310226448972.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 34
Yes as others have said, the first pic looks like it overheated. Usually GM soaps heat on their own so a heating pad may not have been necessary to get a full gel. The 2nd pic looks like it got glycerin rivers and how overheated batches look.
Yes, you can rebatch, but if you don't like the way it looks now, you most likely will really not like the way it looks after a rebatch.

Usually people only rebatch when there is a problem with the recipe, not the looks. Looks are in the eye of the beholder, and if it doesn't zap, just use it - especially when not selling, which I assume you are not doing being so new to the craft.
However, if it's lye heavy or wonky, that's when a rebatch would be called for.

Yep. Glycerin rivers. They're lovely - why would you want to rebatch?
You really think so?? Thank you!!the oil separated and now I have glycerin rivers so I thought I should rebatch or perhaps make into confetti or chop up to put in another batch...thoughts? Thank you again!

Yes as others have said, the first pic looks like it overheated. Usually GM soaps heat on their own so a heating pad may not have been necessary to get a full gel. The 2nd pic looks like it got glycerin rivers and how overheated batches look.
Yes, you can rebatch, but if you don't like the way it looks now, you most likely will really not like the way it looks after a rebatch.

Usually people only rebatch when there is a problem with the recipe, not the looks. Looks are in the eye of the beholder, and if it doesn't zap, just use it - especially when not selling, which I assume you are not doing being so new to the craft.
However, if it's lye heavy or wonky, that's when a rebatch would be called for.

Thank you for the info!! I may shred or chop not sure. I'm not satisfied with the look but trying to see the good in these!

he oil separated and now I have glycerin rivers so I thought I should rebatch
Oils separating is not what causes glycerin rivers. It's usually caused by very high temps (a very hot gel) and full water/liquid. I suspect this is the case with your batch, as it looked overheated and with the use of GM, overheating is fairly common.

I may shred or chop not sure.
You can do that if you'd like too, and use as a confetti in another soap. It's a lot of soap to shred/chop though. I'd wait for the cure and see if it grows on you.

Back