What NOT to do...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galavanting Gifts

Reaction score
I can't believe I did it, a couple of days ago I decided to change my windows username password, I usually only change the password slightly in case I forget it, WELL.... I changed it and thought "Easy enough, i'll remember the change" pfft! yeah right, I didn't and now i've lost EVERYTHING :shock: my business files, photos, price lists, EVERYTHING :oops: my husband reinstalled windows xp just so I could get on the puter and get a new price list made up and sent off to an important customer.
So let it be noted, if you use a windows password to access your computer, ALWAYS write down your password, it was going to cost us almost $300 to fix the problem but thankfully my husband bypassed alot of stuff to get things running again.

Apparently the computer should be able to be put into safe mode and the password bypassed and reset but our computer didn't have a safemode option, we looked everywhere for it, but found nothing. From now on i'm playing it safe and will keep a password written down or given to a friend lol :lol:

monet, I don't feel so bad now lol, apparently it's quite a common occurance and can cost big $$$ to remedy, i'm still shaking my head in disbelief :?

Tabitha said:
I have heard there is big money in password recovery.

Tabitha, I don't know if I should laugh or cry at your reply, on one hand it feels good to know i'm not alone but on the other hand I feel for all those unsuspecting victims of temporary memory loss over pass words. The odd thing is I am utterly convinced I knew the password, I mean how much can one forget within minutes of creating it? lol,

I reckon the microsoft undercover workers sneaked into my puter and kidnapped my password just so they could laugh at me lol.

Glad you were able to get back up and running. :)

One of my greatest fears is forgetting my bank card's pin number. Even though I have had the same number forever, once and awhile I have a "senior moment" and can't remember it!! :shock:

Jude

I never change my windows password, but I have like 4 account w/ each supplier cause I can never remember my user name or password so I just make another. I phoned WSP to check something, they asked for my name & addy & came back to say... uh, you have like 5 accounts w/ us :roll: .... :lol: ...

Sorry this happened :( I write mine down , for that very reason, the senior moments are happening a little to frequently for my liking. :D

Kitn

I have a 'little black book', where I keep details of all my suppliers websites, my account details for each of them, other websites of interest. I initially did it because my computer wouldn't be hooked up to the internet for a while, so all my favourites wouldn't be any help, but I've discovered it to be a very handy thing to have, regardless.

Back