What methods do you use to reach the masses?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinca Leaf

Reaction score
A discussion...

There's blogging, your business website, twitter, social networks, etc etc...how do you get your name out? Do you use one method more than others? What's your favorite place to update, ie...your customers get the best, juiciest scoop at __________ site...

I signed up for twitter months ago, and just recently started paying attention to it. And I'm finding that *some* people use it as incoming advertisement to whomever is getting tweets...and I was under the impression twitter was for fun, interesting, short bits of information...about whatever, whether it's business or personal, or funny you know? *SO* boring to read "we've got a sale today on xyz..."

And, I find I like blogging. Moreso that meeting the public face to face. Who knows if it makes a difference, but it makes *me* happy, kwim?

Good topic!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I advertise in a monthly free distribution magazine that is aimed towards the residents in my area as well as tourist. The distribution is here in town, the surrounding areas and on the ferries. I do know it's working for me from comments my customers have made. I just started to pay for some advertising on FaceBook and will be interested to see if I get anything from that. Other than that I rely on word of mouth, return business and referrals. Oh yeah and a little (read: LOT) of luck.....

Well.... over the last several months (even before I opened my business) I have been advertising regularly on as many social networking websites as possible. I joined Twitter and signed up for some special feature that got me 3,000 followers in a matter of days. I have a Facebook page and have over 300 Facebook friends. I have a blog, and even do YouTube videos once in awhile with hundreds of subscribers...

I was quite convinced when I opened my business that I would get plenty of online business due to these facts, BUT - I have noticed my online sales to be quite low. As a matter of fact, I have only sold to three people online in my first month open. NOT good at all, considering I really thought I'd get more with being all over these social networking sites!

SO, I know it sounds like a great way to advertise for free, but in my experience it isn't working that well. I am now going to focus more on advertising locally and trying to wholesale to gift shops and B&B's around here. So far I have been doing really well locally and haven't even advertised much. I had one announcement on the radio when I opened, but most of my business is by word of mouth. I live in a small community so word gets around fast!

I am thinking about having flyers made up and hiring school kids to deliver them . Our real estate agent says he gets more business from flyers than anything else , he does . He is a big time agent . I know it would only reach the folks in my city but it's a start . Google Ad Words maybe ? I don't know .

Kitn

I'd give away as many free samples to as many people as possible. Even if they're tiny bars with an advertisement on them... it's been my experience that free sample really do work.

Samples work great! 8) You can put them in tiny plastic bags & insert a card, or you can make a teeny tiny cigar band for them

Word of mouth is the best advertisement you can ask for. I give samples of my tried & true recipes (not new ones) to my testers for their family & friends. It as brought a lot of people to my door.

Craigslist is another good avenue. However, I hate it when people from a whole other state are on there trying to sell anything to my local area. I know it's a great way to expand your product sales, but geez...I'm probably not going to buy anything from another state.

In my experience, online sales for bath & body products will be from repeat customers. It's an easy way for them to reorder, or check out something new. Most people want to smell & touch & even try out the product.

Back