What Is Your Favorite Lye?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Tyler

Reaction score
When I first started making CP soap, I just bought my lye through Bramble Berry. Eventually, I realized that I was overpaying so I swapped to ordering either Belle Chemical or Florida Laboratories from Wal-Mart. What is your go-to lye?

I tend to stick with the 2lb bottles of Essential Depot lye based mostly on the combination of price and purity, but also because I’m adjusted to the size and shape of the container (I have fairly small hands). In the past I used lye from Ace Hardware and generally had no issues, but occasionally the lye would have clumps of dark grey impurities.

I also used to buy from BB, and now get Essential Depot from Amazon. I have the 2 lb container on my subscribe and save, and can defer the shipment or move it up if I need to. Even still, I watch the other sizes because sometimes there is a better deal on the 4 pack of 1 lb containers.

A couple more - The Lye Guy is good and sometimes runs sales, and Red Devil from local hardware stores. I also like the price of Bulk Apothecary, but their lye bottles have static and the microbeads tend to go everywhere.

A couple more - The Lye Guy is good and sometimes runs sales, and Red Devil from local hardware stores. I also like the price of Bulk Apothecary, but their lye bottles have static and the microbeads tend to go everywhere.

I used to buy from The Lye Guy, but he packages (or did) in thin bottles. One of them split open and it was a mess to clean up - fortunately it happened when I was returning my bottle to the bin I store it in so I didn't have NaOH everywhere. Lately I've been using Belle Chemical with no issues.

I used to buy from The Lye Guy, but he packages (or did) in thin bottles. One of them split open and it was a mess to clean up - fortunately it happened when I was returning my bottle to the bin I store it in so I didn't have NaOH everywhere. Lately I've been using Belle Chemical with no issues.
I bought from him last summer and they are nice sturdy bottles.

I've been using Belle chemical lately, before that Essential depot, in the beginning I was using Red Devil. I will never go back to red devil it had a smell that wasn't from the lye itself, the other brands are much cleaner IMO.

Latest posts

Back