What Is This?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LunaSkye

Reaction score
Somewhere in this crazy world of ours! ^_^
I was checking out some OOs at a local store and noticed that some of the oils had solid matter in the bottle. I have not ever seen that in OO (though I generally use EVOO). I noticed that the bottles that said extra light or just olive oil had more solid matter in it than most of the bottles that had EVOO on the label. I didn't check, but I doubt the oils were expired. What were those solids?

Were the oils very cold? I ask because my EVOO always gradually turns into a soft, solid mass after awhile of being in the refrigerator. Maybe they were recently delivered to the store by a refrigerated truck? I don't actually know if that's how the OO was delivered or not, but I'm just thinking out loud.

IrishLass :)

Edited to add a link about olive oil and how it reacts to temperature:

http://www.oliveoilsource.com/page/freezing-olive-oil#Myths

Last edited:
Yes the cold will do it. With a few of my herbal infusions I have to store in the fridge afterwards and they will turn solid.
In moderate cool I can see them having small solid places or if the store had them in the back cool area and brought them out.. Could be them still warming up. Kwim?

The store was pretty warm inside despite the fact that the oils were directly in front of the produce. It is possible that the oils were just packed out today, but I haven't ever seen OO solidify at room temperature or slightly below it. I really want to know if the solidification had anything to do with the quality or rating of the OO. I thought that maybe the regular OO or extra light OO could be a substitute for EVOO.

I live in a pretty moderate climate (Seattle area) and this winter we had some below-freezing temps. During that time and a while afterward, I saw olive oil in stores getting solid pieces in the bottom. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the solid pieces will stick around until the oil has warmed up to a certain temperature (higher than room temp).

Back