What is the difference (in layman's terms) between IFRA48 and IFRA50?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
These screenshots are from Nurture Soap for the FO Awaken. I received a sample bottle and it says to use 2.66 percent.

But in screenshot 1, it shows 6% for IFRA 48 and 2.66% for IFRA 50.

However, screenshot 2, when I ran it through their FO Calculator, it gave me a usage rate of 4% PPO.

What would you do? Go by the bottle, the calculator or the percentages shown below?

Thoughts?

1674418393629.png

1674418609853.png

Last edited:
The IFRA 50 is the latest and most recent update. Technically that is the one you should follow, especially if you sell your soap, but it might be too low for CP soap (Will probably be too light).

Last edited:
It could be because they have not updated their calculator yet. Among the well known fragrance sellers, they were among the last ones to update their usage rate, they did it after the 50th revision went into effect, while most other sellers updated it well in advance.

Also, the IFRA percentage is based on the total solution weight. Nurture’s usage rate percentage is based on the oils weight only.

It is confusing though, not sure why they are showing both numbers. They have a Facebook group, perhaps they can help more there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back