What is kitchen soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coffee

KnitchyFingers said:
What about sifting the coffee dust through something?

When I add any ground material to my soap I always sift it through a fine mesh strainer. I purchased a cone-shaped strainer at a restaurant supply store that has a nice, tight, metal mesh. I put the ground coffee (or oatmeal or almonds or clay) in the strainer and gently tap it on a piece of parchment paper I've laid on the counter. Only the finest particles make it through helping to ensure that the finished soap isn't too scratchy.

I have found the freshly brewed coffee seems to contribute its deodorizing qualities so well that it neutralizes the scents of essential oils I've added to the batch. Has anyone else had this experience?

I've always wanted to try making "cobblestone" soap bars and plan on making a batch this year: Coffee and Cocoa Butter Cobblestone Kitchen Soap.

abigtroutt said:
I learned something today making my coffee soap....you can burn the coffee when you add the lye :shock: :shock: My entire garage stunk of burnt coffee ..YUCK Had to toss that batch of lye and figure out another way...
really? I used coffee for 100% of the liquid. sure it smelled when I was making the lye solution but my soap doesn't stink.

carebear said:
abigtroutt said:
I learned something today making my coffee soap....you can burn the coffee when you add the lye :shock: :shock: My entire garage stunk of burnt coffee ..YUCK Had to toss that batch of lye and figure out another way...
really? I used coffee for 100% of the liquid. sure it smelled when I was making the lye solution but my soap doesn't stink.

I almost used the coffee I burnt but I was afraid the burnt coffee smell would carry over into my soap and I hate the smell of burnt coffee :?

I always replace the water with my triple strength coffee and although it doesn't smell the best then after the soap has saponified it smells just like good old coffee.

Cheers
Lindy

KnitchyFingers said:
Okay, this is, I'm sure, a silly question. I've seen the phrase "kitchen soap" mentioned here a few times. What is that?

I'm picturing a soap you use in your kitchen for removing cooking smells from your hands. Sort of like using lemon juice to get the onion smell out of your skin. Am I right? If so, what's IN kitchen soap that makes is so... de-scenting? Coffee? Lemon juice?

Am I in left field here?

Here's my Cuppa Kitchen Soap. It's one of my best sellers.

Back