What is going on?! Soft Soaps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, new here. I've made a bunch of successful batches in the past but i've recently changed up my recipe to try something new...hence my post below....

Backstory: Looked at some of the soft soap forums already but have a question of my own. I made a batch of soap about four weeks ago. It's not slimy or sticky and it looks like typical soap; it's firm when you pick it up but when you press your thumb into it with some pressure, it makes an impression. Also, you can bend it (think a hard taffy). My research has shown it could be 1.) too much oil 2.) too much water 3.) not enough lye. I tried using it and it's INCREDIBLY moisturizing. It has an INS of 154 (per recipe calc), so it is a TAD softer than the "ideal" INS of 160 i've heard of. Three different soap calcs confirm the same lye & water which I followed to a T with a 5% discount.

So, that all said, I'm thinking either my oil balance is too much liquid oil & or unsaponifiables, or my lye is bad (can that happen?). I used the same batch of lye (it's older, from a friend who didn't need it) for my other soaps which were PERFECT. I've never had a failed batch so i'm racking my brain. I certainly know that my batch described isn't caustic which is a relief but it seems to make it harder to rebatch (if it's even necessary, maybe I just have an oddly taffy like soap which actually feels pretty amazing on your skin)

The changes i've made is that i've taken out Palm Kernel Oil flakes which have been a staple. I took them out until I can find a sustainable source of them (I hope soon too, I loved them and my old recipe).

Here's my new mix (in ounces) that i've let cure for the last 4 weeks described in the first paragraph:
50 Olive
30 Coconut
30 Palm Oil
10 Castor

I also made (yesterday) a batch that seems to slooowwlllyy be setting and doing the same thing, it is:
101 Olive
40 Coconut
20 Castor

I didn't think much about it because Castile is 100% olive oil and isn't a mushy soap....and the INS is about 109 for olive...

Maybe an INS of 154 is just this soft? I guess I just assumed that around 160 like my old batch is so hard that 154 wouldn't be this much LESS hard. It concerns me because my batch I made yesterday with the 101 Olive oil has an even lower INS.

HELP and thanks!

Olive oil takes a while to firm up, it can take up to two weeks. So put the soap somewhere safe for a couple of weeks and then enjoy!

Yeah, all the specifics are above. I was very careful to run it through a calculator. The fact its still softish (when you press into it) made me run it again through 2 other ones and they came out the same. I followed it to a T. I was thinking its cause the value was lower but an all olive has a value of around 109 and it's not a liquid soap so...not sure.

Hi
I made the following soap and it took about 8 weeks to get fully firm.

21 oz. Olive Oil
10.5 oz. Coconut Oil
12 oz water
4.5 oz lye

I also could not get it out of the pvc pipe mold and my husband finally cut the length of the pipe to loosen it enough to get the soap out. It was really soft and trying to push it out the end of the pipe just made mush. It was rather messy. Once it set up though, it is wonderful. It does go fast in the shower but is so nice and moisturizing.

Shelly

soft soap

Are you keeping your lye in a airtight container? Lye can really pick up water from the air. I buy my lye in 5lb. buckets and the last one I bought was so hard to open that I was just pushing the lid down kinda tight but not all the way. last mo. I noticed my most recent batch of soap was still soft after over a week. Well I know tallow and coconut should not be doing that so I checked my lye against a new can from the hardware store and it turns out it weighs one gram more a tablespoon than the new lye. The soap is fine its just VERY superfatted. Maybe you should check yours.
And yes my Lye is in a safe place and all that.

Back