What is a zap test?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soaptrotter

Reaction score
can someone tell me what a zap test is? I read people talking about it but have no clue what it means?

My understanding is that the zap test is used to check your CP bars of soap to see if the lye is still active. You do it by placing the tip of your tongue on a bar. If you get a zap or tingle similar to what you'd feel if you put your tongue on a 9v battery, then the lye is still active. No zap means it's safe to use. I don't like it because soap tastes nasty so be prepared if you decide to try it.

It's funny to me that we are so careful not to touch the soap with our hands if we think the lye may still be active, but we will lick it. :p

I did it once. I will not be doing it again. :shock:

I never actually lick the soap itself. I just wet my finger & rub it on the soap (that right there sometimes will tell you if it's lye heavy, because your finger will tingle), but if it doesn't tingle, then I touch my finger to my tongue. If it gives you a quick jolt to your tongue, then you definitely know it's lye heavy.

Fair point. True story: I had had a margarita before I did it, so I wasn't operating on all cylinders. I still won't do it again. :p

lol sounds like fun, will have to try it!! :p
- and thank you for the responses.

Latest posts

Back