What in the world??!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does it look like cut ?
That will depend on it's look when cut. If zap test is good just use it.
It isn't like you are selling anyway

What does it look like cut ?
That will depend on it's look when cut. If zap test is good just use it.
It isn't like you are selling anyway

Can I do a zap Test now? It’s been over 12 hours

A slice

Attachments

• 23A05B3F-722A-4881-92C3-00549A46C568.jpeg
    23A05B3F-722A-4881-92C3-00549A46C568.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited by a moderator:
One of my ugliest soaps did this. I believe that the fragrance oil seized and riced a little. I stick blended it as smooth as I could get it and put glitter on the top. It doesn’t look so bad now and it smells great!

Attachments

• 752E9232-DDF4-4432-B5D5-342B01A040AF.jpeg
    752E9232-DDF4-4432-B5D5-342B01A040AF.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 27
It is very possible your carob powder and/or the fragrance did not get mixed in completely and the white is the un-colored soap batter. I cannot really read the soap calc sheet but it looks like you added in vanilla? I also think the cut piece is very pretty

You can re-batch it using the HP method, that way the chunks of solidifies oil (white spots) will melt and be incorporates into the soap.

It is very possible your carob powder and/or the fragrance did not get mixed in completely and the white is the un-colored soap batter. I cannot really read the soap calc sheet but it looks like you added in vanilla? I also think the cut piece is very pretty
No I was going to use vanilla but found out that it would not work. So I opted for spearmint instead and used the recipe as is for the oils and lye /wAter

So it could very well be unmixed carob powder. I would not rebatch it without waiting a few days and zap testing. As I mentioned above they look really nice. Also, do you stir your batter as you are pouring? Batter can start to thicken and many time stirring will loosen it up which could be lumpy when you pour

My formulas are fast movers due to either a high tallow/lard or high palm and soap cool with no problems. I will even use just cloudy oils but always scrape the bottom of my bucket to make sure they are no oils that have resolidified. I have never tested to see if the oils that are trying to resolidify would melt or not, so I reheat until my oil is clear.

Last edited:
I too would wait and zap test it. If it doesn't zap I would just use it as is. Or use some as is and cut up the rest for putting in another soap. But I also hate rebatching - did it once and pretty much never again. Your soap is far prettier now than it will be after rebatching. You can always cut off the top if you don't like it. Personally, I'd just leave it though.

So it could very well be unmixed carob powder. I would not rebatch it without waiting a few days and zap testing. As I mentioned above they look really nice. Also, do you stir your batter as you are pouring? Batter can start to thicken and many time stirring will loosen it up which could be lumpy when you pour

My formulas are fast movers due to either a high tallow/lard or high palm and soap cool with no problems. I will even use just cloudy oils but always scrape the bottom of my bucket to make sure they are no oils that have resolidified. I have never tested to see if the oils that are trying to resolidify would melt or not, so I reheat until my oil is clear.

No I’ve never stir, thanks for that tip

I too would wait and zap test it. If it doesn't zap I would just use it as is. Or use some as is and cut up the rest for putting in another soap. But I also hate rebatching - did it once and pretty much never again. Your soap is far prettier now than it will be after rebatching. You can always cut off the top if you don't like it. Personally, I'd just leave it though.
My husband loves the look, but it took me by surprise. I guess it’s a keeper. Lessons learned

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it looks great! If it doesn't zap you I think the white parts actually give it texture and depth :)

Back