What in the world??!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal43

Reaction score
im not sure what happened here , but how can I fix this?

Attachments

• 015D9D01-B00D-42D6-8FD3-3F7501999F66.jpeg
    015D9D01-B00D-42D6-8FD3-3F7501999F66.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 85
Ok it did thicken but it was smooth when I started to spoon it in. I didn’t expect to see the chunks. It has carbo powder and spearmint in it.

Attachments

• EA8B9E16-49F9-40E0-8321-BFCB9A6A3358.jpeg
    EA8B9E16-49F9-40E0-8321-BFCB9A6A3358.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 57
Yikes! That's a lot of soap to go wrong.. One reason they urge newbies like us to soap small batches.

What's carbo?

Sorry, are referring to the white chunks scattered about? Did you use any frozen milks as liquid? Are the chunks a different texture than the rest of your soap? At what temp did you soap?

You'll have to tell us more about the process also. I'm no CP expert but if you answer those it'll help the others figure out what went wrong sooner.

I'm not familiar with carbo powder. Can you elaborate? Also- how hot or cool did you soap? It's possible it may have been too cool for the amount of palm and shea to stay in melted suspension because those look like stearic spots......but depending on what carbo powder is, that may also have something to do with it, but I don't know since I don't know what carbo powder might be or what it might do in soap.

IrishLass :)

Yikes! That's a lot of soap to go wrong.. One reason they urge newbies like us to soap small batches.

What's carbo?

Sorry, are referring to the white chunks scattered about? Did you use any frozen milks as liquid? Are the chunks a different texture than the rest of your soap? At what temp did you soap?

You'll have to tell us more about the process also. I'm no CP expert but if you answer those it'll help the others figure out what went wrong sooner.
Caron is a chocolate type powder. I only used water. No the chunky ness came from th same mix, nothing extra

I think carbo = carob? IMO when soap thickens/seizes, it seems to start along the bottom and work its way up. Probably because there is more heat at the bottom? So you have may have had thick parts and lumps towards the bottom and your carbo/carob powder didn't get mixed in thoroughly. did you mix your powder with some water or oil or glycerin?

I'm not familiar with carbo powder. Can you elaborate? Also- how hot or cool did you soap? It's possible it may have been too cool for the amount of palm and shea to stay in melted suspension because those look like stearic spots......but depending on what carbo powder is, that may also have something to do with it, but I don't know since I don't know what carbo powder might be or what it might do in soap.

Carob powder is a chocolate substitute powder. The lye water was 100 and the oils 110

I think carbo = carob? IMO when soap thickens/seizes, it seems to start along the bottom and work its way up. Probably because there is more heat at the bottom? So you have may have had thick parts and lumps towards the bottom and your carbo/carob powder didn't get mixed in thoroughly. did you mix your powder with some water or oil or glycerin?
Yes sorry, it is carob. No I didn’t mix it with water or glycerin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also- how hot or cool did you soap? It's possible it may have been too cool for the amount of palm and shea to stay in melted suspension because those look like stearic spots.....
Oooh I'm learning! I asked about temps too coz I was guessing stearic spots, too.

So I googled carob and understand it works like cocoa powder but also a sweetener? Could the sugar have some effect on the soap?

Interesting this.. I learn something new on this forum everyday!

Did you Stick blend it or whisk it?
maybe it riced or clumped.
you need to give much more info to help.... temp of lye/oils ...

Did you Stick blend it or whisk it?
maybe it riced or clumped.
you need to give much more info to help.... temp of lye/oils ...
The lye water was 100 and oils 110. Did a little spatula man x and stick blender pulsing.

Either you didn't mix your carob powder in well enough or you soaped too cool and your hard oils hardened up and became chunky.

What can I do with it. Do it re-batch, use as is, cut it up on cubes and do a chunky soap etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhhh, carob. That makes more sense, because I did a google search on "carbo powder" before coming back to this thread, and believe it or not, there is actually such a thing as "carbo powder", but I couldn't figure why one would ever want to add it to soap.....it's basically a body-building supplement in powdered form made of pure maltodextrin. lol

I agree with Shari- either you didn't mix the carob powder in well enough (for best results it should be thoroughly mixed with some kind of liquid before adding to the batch or it will suck some of the moisture out of your batter and cause things to thicken up) and/or soaped too cool. Whenever I soap with a significant amount of high stearic/higher melting-point fats such as tallow, PKO and butters and I don't want any stearic spots at all, I always make sure my overall batter temperature never goes below 110F.

What can I do with it. Do it re-batch, use as is, cut it up on cubes and do a chunky soap etc.

You can do any of the above. It's all up to you. As long as the soap does not zap, any of them are completely doable. :)

Latest posts

Back