What I Learned Today

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SueSoap

Reaction score
I made a 2lb batch of bastille soap with 70% olive oil, 20% coconut oil, and 10% castor. In place of water I used frozen buttermilk.

The first thing I learned is that if you slam a frozen bag of buttermilk on the counter to break it up, the bag breaks and you then have frozen buttermilk blobs all over the kitchen. Note to self: next time - double-bag.

The next thing I learned is that after adding the lye to the frozen buttermilk veeeeeery slowly - the melted solution doesn't get very hot.

At light trace, I added 2T of honey powder. This was globby and took a long time to incorporate into the batter. Next time, I'll try dissolving it beforehand in some oil or glycerine.

I had some liquid colorant from BB, so I squired this into the batter after adding the fragrance. It didn't really do much. I should have practiced with it to see what it might do. I ended up just squirting it into the batter as I poured into the mold, and then swirled with a skewer.

I'm curious to see how this experiment will turn out. I'm hoping for a gentle, bubbly bar that smells good and looks okay. Will include pic after cutting.

Thanks for stopping by!

Sounds like it was a great day for learning new things. :D

I'm sorry you had such problems but I think your soap sounds like it will be wonderful. I love buttermilk in batches. This is just a suggestion but I'd recommend dissolving the honey powder in a little water first and then add it to the batch. It will dissolve better and you can just deduct the water amount from the buttermilk amount.

Whoa! Sue that sounds like something I would do. Here's my story: I frozen mine in shallow freezer container I thought I could use my pastry cutter it slice it ( like a knife and ice cream). But it was to hard so I zapped it in the mircowave just a soften it sightly. It still looked very frozen so I pushed down giving it all I had with the cutter . It wasn't as frozen as I thought and it squirted goat's milk all over. :oops: :lol:
But the soap was beautiful!!!

Back