What got you started soaping?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenScene

Reaction score
Now that I'm starting to remember who all the regulars are, I'm getting curious about your histories. I'm not new to soap-making, but most of you have been at it much longer than I have, and I'd be interested in knowing how you got hooked. Story swap? I'll start.

My husband and I started dating six years ago. He was (and still is) vegan, and once we got married, I did most of the shopping for the household. The more I bought, the more I realized how difficult it is to find vegan-friendly products, and soap is no exception. We live in a very small town, so store-bought vegan soap is unheard of, and on teacher budgets, we certainly can't afford to buy soap at LUSH very often. So I started thinking and researching and finally realized I could make it myself, and I haven't looked back. I can't even remember when I first started making soap, but I do know that the holidays hooked me. I started making more and more for friends and relatives for Christmas, then birthdays, then Halloween and the 4th of July and St. Patty's and....you get the idea. The holidays rolled around this year, and I finally made the decision to start selling at a local farmer's market and craft show later this year. It's taking a whole lot of research and a whole lot of planning, but the whole business-start-up process is making me bite my nails and laugh with glee all at the same time, so I figure I must be doing something right. ;-)

A bit similar. I am not vegan, but I fall into that 2% of people who have chemical sensitivities. It has been a long term thing but got worse recently. Thankfully, right before it got really bad I walked into a BnB store for my DIL and got some soap for myself. I really liked it and. long story short, a friend taught me to make it. I admit I did not think this would be any fun :) but then I discovered that I really enjoy it.

I was fed up with my skin reacting to shop bought products and have always preferred handmade soap, I like Lush products too and I imagine it's because of the absence of preservatives etc that I don't break out in eczema when I use them, so I decided to buy a book and find out how to make something which is fine for my skin.
I know quite a few people with eczema, one of the worst culprits for drying out the skin is the very hard water we have.

i am a craft person and i get severely depressed when i can't do something creative. i also have a hard time staying "hooked" on a specific craft. i love them but burn out on everything with the exception of soaping. it holds my interest and keeps me happy. it also keeps my dry skin soft and my family too. my great grandma's used to make soap and so did my grandpa, so it wasn't a big stretch for me to develop an interest in it too.

Mine is more like "who". My mother and grandmother made soap, long before I was born. I sort of fell into it, but I still love it.

krissy said:
i am a craft person and i get severely depressed when i can't do something creative.

This, too, was my issue. My carpal tunnel has worsened to the point that crocheting is no longer an option. I had a booth at a craft fair selling my dog clothes when I noticed another vendor selling homemade soap. So, what the hell, I gave it a try. I'm still new at this, compared to all of you; but I love it. There are so many options that I can't imagine getting bored any time soon :D

I actually thought about it almost a decade ago when I saw a spot on Martha Stewart when I was living in Southern California about a place in my area that made soaps. I went to visit and they were pretty, and nice smelling but now I know that most were M&P soaps. I just continued to learn about it until about 3 years ago when I got the nerve to try CP because I wouldn't use soap(used body wash or shampoo) because of the dry,tight,sticky feeling it left on my skin. While learning I decided I wanted to use all veg oils avoiding as many petroleum and animal based products as I could. So I bought a natural lotion base to scent how I like and make my own soap.

Well my story little different that most here but I don't mind being the odd ball. I first got interested watching Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe so than I started reading forums watching videos got books from library until i got the courage up to try it myself. I am working on year 2 of the addiction. I feel this gives me a way to be creative which I enjoy. Also my mom loves my soap makes her skin feel nice.

Krissy, I'm like you and do crafts, ever since I can remember. I keep changing my ideas when someone else catches onto what I do. Have to keep doing fresh things. When I was selling my crafts about 10 or 15 yrs ago (lost track) I made soap to sell with my other stuff, but looking back now it was not that professional. So with all the info out there now on the net I started researching again and here I am.

So at the moment its my passion. It makes my skin so soft and smooth I just love it. So it might be for just birthdays and such now but down the track I might get back on the bandwagon and start selling again.Who knows.

Relle.

Many years ago I wanted to but life wasn't such that I could hardly afford cooking oil, let alone anything extra to make soap with. Things have improved substantially ;) I built a website 1-2 years ago for a local lady who makes handmade soaps and that got me re-intrigued but it wasn't until I was trying to come up with an idea for my wedding favors (end of this April) did I decide to start soaping. I knew I would enjoy soaping but wow the addiction hit hard. I've got all my needs to make nice soap, and a few of my wants, but now.... the "wants" list is growing huge and I have to force myself to curb it so I can afford to get married and move later this year (especially since there's a good chance I won't be able to take my soaping supplies and will have to start over) LOL

I started about 2 and half years ago. I've been working on simplifying my life in fits and starts the last few years. Making soap is an environmentally friendly alternative to store-bought soap, so I tried it and really liked the result. It wasn't until this past fall and Christmas, when I got some new soaping books, that I started to branch out and try CPHP, scenting, building wooden molds, and developing a full-blown addiction. I'm a teacher, and spent much of my winter break soaping, and will do the same, experimenting and such, for spring break. I'm going to work on some FO tests, sugar scrub cubes, cream soap for shaving (my big experiment), trying out some body butter and face cream, and I'm putting together a basket for my school's fund-raising auction. Don't know if I'll ever sell soap, but it's in the back of my mind.

I too craft a lot, especially scrapbooking and fiber arts. And the funny thing about "simplifying", is I'm not sure how simple my life really is - I spend a lot of time doing "simple" things like make soap, make cheese, make wine, bake bread, etc., that I'm as busy as ever. But it is a good kind of busy.

It's been fun to read this thread.

I started because my husband needed someone to teach boyscouts at a western fall camporee how to things like they did in the "old west". I read and read and read about candle making and soap making. He taught the candlemaking once I got the methods down pat. I had to "teach" a couple hundred scouts in groups of 20 or 30 how they made soap back in the old days. Most of it was show...a big copper kettle over the fire rendering the fat outside, the ashes in a homemade box leaching out the lye. What ingredients they used for soap. What I used to let them scent and add color or additives to was melt and pour but had made soap for them with nothing but tallow I rendered myself a couple months earlier. I gave away samples and had them wash their hands after we were done with their little soaps. It was a hit. Lots of pictures and tools and supplies helped the teaching. I did that 6 or 7 years ago. I didn't keep up with soapmaking at that time but then had to teach it again at another camporee 3 years ago and this time...I didn't have a craft project going at that time and caught the bug. Like Krissy and others, I have to have something artistic going and I love to learn new things or I would be miserable.
So...I remind my husband every time I get the look....not more soap! that it's his fault. Shouldn't have asked me to teach how to make soap.

Like Krissy, I am addicted to hobbies but have a hard time staying hooked. Hopefully soaping will be different as it is a ball!
Why did I start? It was after reading a blog on Rivendell Cycles web site where Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap was mentioned. I decided to try it and ordered through Amazon. Naturally I ordered a lot to get a decent price and my wife hated the smell. I loved it. Still do. Going to make some and hide it. :D So then I found a bar of oo given to my wife as a gift but never used and it had a local address of the maker. Hmm, started to think, one thing led to another and now I are a soap maker. My lovely wife, mother of my children, mysterious far eastern assistant and sometimes soap photographer is also interested so this could be a long time keeper.
We have worked hobbies together in the past. We took stained glass classes together when dating and I (we!) ruined the carpet in my apartment by using the dining room as a glass shop. Can't imagine why I didn't get my deposit back. Think little tiny pieces of copper foil, glass, flux, solder, occasinal french fry, etc :roll: I would not have used the dining room but the living room was filled with windsurfing gear and nowhere to sit, much less put up a 4 x 8 work table. Twenty years later, two teenagers, dogs, cats and hobbies continue. We intend to be two old farts making stuff and traveling with a tent and hobby materials and no schedule. The old fart part is fast approaching so must hurry with the hobby. :D
Oh my, I'm rambling again. :shock:

I've always been interested in making things, and doing things the old ways - sort of a homesteading mentality. Soap always looked like an interesting craft, but it wasn't until I got the goats and started wondering what on earth to do with all this milk . . . Not that soap uses up a substantial amount!

I went to a demonstration 2 or 3 years ago, and then bit the bullet and started making my own.

Now, I love making soap and trying out different scents - and so do my friends and relatives. :D My skin likes it too.

Just a crafty person, anything old fashioned catches my eye as did soap making. Once I tried it I was hooked. What's so great about soap is that you never seem to stop learning so it never gets boring and you never seem to run out of ideas to try. And the benefits of course are just the icing on the cake:)

Another crafty, back to basics kind of person. I've always loved cooking and trying new recipes and experimenting. I love gardening (herb, vegetable and flower) I do alot of canning and preserving because I love it when I know what ingredients have went into a product, and just like to live as close to all natural as possible without making life too difficult. LOL The more I read about homemade soaps the more I knew it was something else that I wanted to do for me, my family and the environment. And after actally trying it I know I NEVER want to go back to store bought again. :)

I feel like I am in a AA meeting! Hi, my name is Ingrid and I am addicted to soap making. I started this fun journey about 2 years ago. My daughter who is now 25 years old has always had problems with eczema since she was about 5 years old. Over the years, I have read and research about ways to ease the itching and one day I went to a local craft fair and this lady was selling handmade soap that she proclaimed would help with her condition. To make a long story short, I was constantly trying to find this lady to purchase more soaps over the years and eventually the shipping was just too much once she moved to Arizona from Virginia. So, in a casual conversation, she mentioned making soap myself......that began the addiction. I really enjoy making soap and I have just recently started getting into selling my soaps but my main reason for making soap was to help my daughter and in the long run, I have found a hobby and part time business.

I have been making candles for almost 15yrs now I think and a candlemaking forum I was involved with started a soaping section. I was curious and then received a bar of delish handmade soap in a swap and that was where it began for me..........I purchased a kit and within weeks had about a dozen logs of soap curing :0) I am wholeheartly addicted and will never want to do rehab :0)

I always bought handmade soaps so I loved them. I have a liver condition and my oncologist pointed out that skin was our biggest organ and to be aware of what I was using like deodorant, soap, etc...
I did research on using more natural things for my body and for cleaning and started printing tutorials and recipes. Soap making seemed so cool so I ordered a few things, made a few messes then finally a good batch! I make for my family and friends. Now when I go to Whole Foods, I giggle at Zum because I like mine:)

My mother is a habitual crafter (which definitely has rubbed off on me), and about 10-12 years ago I found a soapmaking book in her quilting room. I was thoroughly fascinated and read the book over and over. For years, I read everything I could get my hands on, but it seemed like a very expensive hobby, and I was terrified of the thought of having lye around my little kids. About five years ago, I got up the gumption to go look for some lye and try my hand at it, but they did not sell lye in the area. Later, I moved to a different state, and about 2 years ago I made my first batch, half crazed from years of college study, work, little sleep, and a prolonged period with no creative outlet. I was super broke so my first batches were made mostly with Crisco and soybean oil and spices. I still end pieces from those batches..
I now work a secure, but maddenly boring job. Soap is my main outlet, and I am still amazed that it took me so long to dive in, but I think those years of study did me well. My first big outlet was herbal medicine, which I apprenticed for for some time, and which complements this craft well.

Back