What do you use to cut your CP soaps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started with a mitre box and knife, hated it, moved on to a singe wire cutter that I purchased from a soaper quitting business, that worked well but I hated cutting one at a time...finally asked my husband to make me a multi-bar wire cutter so he checked out options online and made me one. I will never go back. couldn't cut a straight bar until then.

I use this from Woodsoapmolds on Etsy. Darrell is an excellent craftsman and his prices and customer service are second to none !
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1403401569.859044.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1403401583.670360.jpg

My dad made me a wire cutter by taking a picture frame and putting nails at 1 1/4 inch down each side then at first he ran 50 pound test fishing line. The fishing line would not stay tight enough so he changed to some kinda wire it is very thin and cuts really well. I think all and all the whole project cost 10$. Thanks to dad the bars look much better now!

I got a wooden mold with integrated 1" cutting slot and it is the most convenient. I use the mold all the time to make soap and then just use the same mold to cut each one and they are all uniform that way...no mold then extra box for cutting (too many things piling up). All my molds have integrated cutters and its soooo convenient. I got mine off etsy a lot cheaper than other places Ive looked. Happy soaping!

I was just telling my husband that I want a better cutter or method. I use a miter box from Lowes and a kitchen scraper thingy.

I tried a miter box and that failed, I tried a single wire cutter with failure, I tried all kinds of things. Now I use what I originally used, a chef's knife. I love cutting the big loaves into smaller loaves then into bars. It just feels like part of the magic.

I bought myself a tank. The best investment I ever made, and it does not matter how long your soap logs are.
Brilliant

I use a wire cheesecake cutter with my miter box. It has a nice, firmly attached, thin wire that leaves no drag marks. I also have the straight and wavy pastry blades but I have to wipe them after each cut. The wire is much easier for me.

I currently use a thin blade chef's knife but I'm designing my own cutting rig complete with high E guitar strings for the cutting wire and guitar tuning pegs to be able to adjust the tension. The setup is actually very similar to how a guitar is built and I have a couple old broken guitars I plan to repurpose for this project. I have a veritable wood shop in the garage, so why not right? Now I just have to find the time to actually build the thing, lol!

Latest posts

Back