What do you do with all the soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keds45

Reaction score
Hello! Im very new to the hobby and this forum.. Out of curiosity, what do the serious soap hobbyists do with all your excess soap? There's really only so much a family can use, and my friends/ neighbors aren't sharing my enthusiasm. I'm planning on making (a lot) more as I love the whole chemistry/art behind it, and I want to learn as much as I can! Did any of you ever find yourselves in this predicament?

I am in that predicament now. I give soap to almost everyone- the cashier who rings up our groceries twice a week, the ladies at my dining divas group, and I give my friends & family extra to give away (it's well labelled).
If I really get too much stored, I plan to donate.

I have found a couple of places to donate. I just wrapped and labeled 36 bars on Friday, and they will be donated tomorrow. I give friends and family as much as I can, with my blessings if they want to share with others. I'll occasionally leave a few bars in my mailbox for our mail carrier. DH is even giving a few bars here and there to people as a little thank you for things. The staff at my dental office and chiropractor office get some. During the holidays I can really unload...er...gift to everyone I come in contact with.

Nursing home twice yearly: Nurse Appreciation Day in May and Christmastime. I bring enough for all staff to take their pick.

Hubby's co-workers about twice a year, plus now and then a specific co-worker or two who show positive interest.

Doctor visits: I sometimes bring enough for two bars per staff member. Our family doctor has a small staff, so it's not a lot of soap.

Maid service thankyou: I travel a lot, and often stay for extended stays in some locations. I prepare a small gift basket of handcrafted soaps with a thank you note, so they know it is for them and not something I just accidentally left behind.

Granddaughters teachers/ counselors.

Occasionally clerks where I shop when I think of it because they showed interest.

DIL to give to her family as gifts because she loves my soap and has a big family who are always gracious and welcoming whenever I see them.

Host/Hostess gift: I prepare a gift basket of soaps for the host family when I attend a get together in someone else's home.

Thanks for all the ideas! For those that label, how do you do that/ do you include the oils, fragrance and colors? do you list sodium hydroxide or do you say th oils are "saponified"?

I don't sell, but still like to label my soap since it is often shared with others by family and friends that I give it to. I list everything, largest to smallest amount and I list sodium hydroxide.

that's why I started selling - to get rid of the excess, and yet, I still end up with tons of soap. I donate to women's and children's centers, and homeless shelters. They are always beyond excited and happy to receive them.

I give a bunch away to my co-workers at Christmas. I want to donate to my local foodbank but they won't return my call. I am hoping to avoid having to wrap all of them!

I give a bunch away to my co-workers at Christmas. I want to donate to my local foodbank but they won't return my call. I am hoping to avoid having to wrap all of them!
Have you tried just showing up with them? I never have results with places like that calling me back (because they think it's a sales call even though I always state and enunciate clearly "DONATION") - but have never been turned down at the door.

Out of curiosity, what do the serious soap hobbyists do with all your excess soap?

I’m not a hobbyist, but I don’t sell my soaps either. I make quite a bit of soap for my blog (tutorials) and I always have tons of soaps. Because I don’t want to sell, for various reasons, I donate my soap to charities. Last Christmas I gave soaps to the Salvation Army to put in their Christmas parcels. And churches love them to put in blessing bags.

Latest posts

Back