Question About Giving Away Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 58545

Reaction score
Hello, New to soapmaking but have a question.

I know if you are a business there are lots of regulations to follow, approvals etc but what about if you are just doing it as a hobby and have loads and loads of soaps made that you will never all use yourself.

I can of course give to my family but what about friends? All free of course, is there anything to say you can't give away soap you have made or do you need to go through the same procedure as what business need to?

In the US, you can give your soaps away to friends and family, or donate them to food banks, shelters, etc. I usually label mine when donating so the recipients can check for possible allergens before using, but it isn't required.

Many thanks for the reply. I am in the UK so not sure if it's different over here. This was the first hit that came up for soap making forum. Is it more US based users here?

There are users from all over, but I would say that there are more from the US. I remember reading somethin awhile back on assessment requirement for donating in the UK, but I can’t remember exactly what was said, or by whom. If I think of it later, I’ll look around to see if I can find something.

I found this from @LilyJo, a UK soap maker who is knowledgeable about the rules there. Searching for other posts she has made might help you find more information.

Yes, if its considered marketing in any way you would need it to be assessed but my understanding is, if you are giving to friends and family as a gift, it wouldn't need to be assessed. BUT I would make sure you listed all ingredients and follow the rules as far as you can. If you are unsure I would recommend contacting your local assessor to get a firm legal opinion.

Hello, many thanks :) I did find someone in the UK who teaches this type of things and said pretty much the same that if given to friends and family you don't need to do anything for that. It's only if its being sold/dontated to the wider public.

Latest posts

Back