What creates soda ash?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misfities

Reaction score
I made some aloe soap. Some turned out ok after about two weeks, but the others have a very deep half of them pure white soda ash. Mostly these are the ones I did in a loaf mold, and then cut later on. The ones that turned out alright were the single mold pieces.

The stand-alone picture is obviouslly the piece that had the problem.
I'm thinking maybe its a heating thing? I did not insulate my loaf mold, but the stand-alone molds probably keep themselves insulated.

Thanks for your insights.

IMG_3200.jpg

IMG_3201.jpg

I found a great link in the cold process board for a way to help if you have ash just in the top if your log mold. But of course I can't find it now! Arianne from La Fille de la Mer did a video of or of her soaps and she just non shalontly (I know, that's not really a word) rinsed her soap under warm water still in the mold! Genius! So I had to try it! Heck it worked! A bit of water got between my soap and the silicone mold, so I just propped it in it's side, rolled the towel under the "bottom" and let it sit for a few hours. Now I have really pretty soap with glisteny tops :)
Good luck! :)

Latest posts

Back