What am i doing wrong here?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strawberry

Reaction score
I made goats milk soap the other day. The day after i made it it looked like it was starting to separate or something. There was a pool of oil on the top. I mopped up the extra oil and let them sit another couple of days seeing if it would set up right. When i tried to cut them the bars started oozing oil. What did i do wrong? Is there anything i can do to salvage this batch?

I dont know what to do...but I had the same problem with a Shea butter soap..but instead of oozing oil the oil was like a film on top of it.

Panda said:
You might have too much fragrance or essential oil.

ok so in reading thru lots of stuff here I came on this post-- so can you do about this if you add too much fo/eo and it feels greasy on the top?

I have wrapped in paper towels and has seemed to help. This as been the same amount I have used before in the same recipe.

any more info on this subject would be great! Thanks

I have had a simular problem in that my bars feel wet after gel. I go ahead and cut them and the bars seem to absorb the extra oil as they cure.
Now that is not puddles as you say but....
Now this last batch I used some baking soda in the oil. Not slippery this time around but I still think I messed up a bit... I didnt put it in my water but in the oil at trace. You can see it. Little white specks. But I figure its probalby good as baking soda is soothing isnt it? Good for poison ivy or poison oak? So what can it hurt.

The bars are still nice to use even if they are ugly. Oh and the smell is to die for. The curing room smells so ... that with the windows you can smell it outside by he trash can.

strawberry said:
I made goats milk soap the other day. The day after i made it it looked like it was starting to separate or something. There was a pool of oil on the top. I mopped up the extra oil and let them sit another couple of days seeing if it would set up right. When i tried to cut them the bars started oozing oil. What did i do wrong? Is there anything i can do to salvage this batch?

Next time you have a separation like that, save the seeping oils and rebatch everything. Separation is often caused by pouring the soap into the molds before a proper trace is reached.

If the separation is because too much oil was used then you would have to add some lye solution to your rebatch. I haven't tried that yet and am unsure as to how to accurately add the right amount of lye. I would just consider that bar "ultra-conditioning" and keep it for home use.

Latest posts

Back