Wet Soap Wednesday: Sideways Cylinder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They soap needs to be set nice and hard to come out easily. You just need to give the end a good whack on some concrete and that will jar it loose.
I lack the patience to let it dry more I guess, plus I was a little worried it wouldn't dry on the sides cuz it was so enclosed--I am too new to soaping :) . how long do you leave yours in the the tube? thanks for saying that!!

They look wonderful! If you really want them to be perfectly round, I wonder if a cookie or biscuit cutter would work without wasting too much of the soap. Personally, I think they look round enough - good job!

They look wonderful!

Thanks!

If you really want them to be perfectly round, I wonder if a cookie or biscuit cutter would work without wasting too much of the soap.

I do have many differently-sized round cutters. I'll try a couple different options: peeler, cookie cutter, wet fingers ..

Personally, I think they look round enough - good job!

Oh, ya. Round enough for here at home. I'll want to clean them up a little before giving any away.

That last pic looks like bats! Think you can replicate that swirl for Halloween? :)

I lack the patience to let it dry more I guess, plus I was a little worried it wouldn't dry on the sides cuz it was so enclosed--I am too new to soaping :) . how long do you leave yours in the the tube? thanks for saying that!!

I am VERY impatient as well and new to soaping. My soap was CPOP (this probably effects set up time) and I left it in two or three days. I just kept trying it. In other moulds I unmould 24hrs later, if that. I tryed it at about 24hrs and it wouldn't budge. I just left it and on the third day it came out with a tap.

If you think about it, there is an awful lot of surface area of soap sticking to the mould. The soap needs to have hardened and shrunk quite a bit to let go.

Have a look at this
https://www.lovinsoap.com/2016/02/how-to-remove-soap-from-pvc-pipe/

Last edited:
Trimming:
The veggie peeler worked fine for removing the bump where the loaf opening was. The cookie cutter, though, rounded them up a bit. They are still kind of oblong. I think that will be solved if I ever make a PVC version.
I was thinking the same thing. it would probably still have a flat spot. I have been trying to figure out how to keep the section that's cut off and add soap then put it back on but unless its heavy trace I doubt it would work but the flat spot could be controlled by how small or big of a section is cut off of the pvc

You could try putting the cut out section back and taping up a seal on the joins. Then set it on its end so it settles into the shape? If the mould it really full it shouldnt distort the swirling too much.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of this.

I love the type of swirls I can get in a loaf mold, but I like a round bar of soap. I'm never really happy with my swirls when I use a cylinder mold (Pringles can, most often). I had the thought: what if I could put the cylinder on it's side and pour into it that way and also swirl it, like in my loaf. I cut an opening down one side of the Pringles can (I also shortened it to make a smaller batch) and secured the lid with hot glue. I used tie straps to make the shape more stable and also provide feet. And so, I give you the Cylinder Loaf Mold. If it really works, I may have to somehow make a reusable version.

(Pretend you don't see the mess in the second picture)

View attachment 35139View attachment 35140
To make a reusable interior, try making a liner out of a thin silicone cutting mat. They sell them at WalMart in a package of 4. Seal the outside with a hot glue gun for the ends, trim with scissors. Leave the circular folded mat unglued so when you take it out, it can be washed. I use these mats for a lot of custom liners. :)

Great thinking @artemis ! I'm curious where this journey will lead. The soap from the first try already look wonderful!:thumbs:

Back