Wet Oatmeal

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fran2

Reaction score
Hi All,

I make my own oat milk and I put whole oatmeal in a blender with water and blend it up (I have a Ninja blender). Anyway I strain it. Of course there is left over oatmeal that is sort of mushy. I had an idea to put some of that in my soap. Which I did. I don't like soap that is exfoliating, so I though putting the oatmeal in mushy might prevent that.

Do you think that wet, mushy oatmeal will be a problem. I made the soap, but now I am wondering will this get moldy? Or is it like puree?

I wouldn't risk it but maybe you can prove it can be done. Puree only works when you make absolutely sure there are no bits left that can go bad.

I guess I will see what will happen? I made this for a friend whose skin is very very sensitive. I will only give her a bar or two, and I guess over time I will see if gets moldy? I wonder how long it would take to get moldy?

How much did you use per Lb? When I make GM oat and honey soap, I always add my finely ground oatmeal to my milk. Which hydrates it. Than add that to my oils. I've never had a problem with mold, or my soap being too scratchy.

How much did you use per Lb? When I make GM oat and honey soap, I always add my finely ground oatmeal to my milk. Which hydrates it. Than add that to my oils. I've never had a problem with mold, or my soap being too scratchy.

I only used about 2 tablespoons to 30 ozs. of oil. I made another batch yesterday and I added dry oats to my oils. I use the ice cube method with my oat milk. If you wet your oatmeal and it is oK, than mine should be OK. I liked the way it looked with speckles in it and when I tested it, you could not feel the oatmeal at all.

So you can add oats to the oils even before adding the lye mixture? I thought it was added when you would add fragrance or colors.

So you can add oats to the oils even before adding the lye mixture? I thought it was added when you would add fragrance or colors.

I think it is a preference when you put the oatmeal in. My whole point of putting in wet oatmeal was that I did not want to feel the oatmeal in the soap, (wet is mushy). I took the advice of some of the others and added the ground up oatmeal in the oils. If you want an exfoliating bar than I would put the ground up oats in at trace.

I am no expert, so maybe some with more experience will answer.

OK - Let me see if I understand. First I blend the oatmeal and water in my Ninja. (Entire measure of water or partial?) Then strain off the oat milk and use that as my liquid. I then add the mushy oatmeal to my oils before adding lye mixture. My oil weight for this batch is 95.2 oz, so I should add 6 or 7 Tbsp. of oatmeal. Is that measured before adding to the water and blending, or measured mushy before adding to oils?

I've made several batches of soap, but this is my first time to add oatmeal.

Thanks to all!

OK - Let me see if I understand. First I blend the oatmeal and water in my Ninja. (Entire measure of water or partial?) Then strain off the oat milk and use that as my liquid. I then add the mushy oatmeal to my oils before adding lye mixture. My oil weight for this batch is 95.2 oz, so I should add 6 or 7 Tbsp. of oatmeal. Is that measured before adding to the water and blending, or measured mushy before adding to oils?

I've made several batches of soap, but this is my first time to add oatmeal.

Thanks to all!

To make the oat milk blend the oats and water and than strain it. Use the strained liquid as your water, but you have to either use the frozen method for the oat milk or use the split method. Split method is using 50% of water for your lye, and using the other 50% of oat milk to be added at trace. Frozen is to freeze the amount of oat milk you need for you lye and put the lye over the ice cubes slowly.

I used the mushy oatmeal only 1 time, I did not like the result. I now use colloidal oatmeal in my hot oils. If you don't have that put your oatmeal it in a grinder and grind as fine as possible and put that in your hot oils. If you use ground oatmeal, your soap will be exfoliating.

I hope this helps.

I don't think it matters whether the oatmeal is dry or saturated before it goes into the soap. While the oatmeal remains soft during the early curing days, it also dries out with an extended cure and becomes the same product you added in so it will be exfoliating in the end product.

Well, I ground the oatmeal very fine, poured distilled water over it and then whirled it around a few more times in my Ninja blender. I drained the oatmeal/water mixture through cheesecloth and froze the strained oatmilk. When I slowly added the lye to the oatmilk, it turned the consistency of applesauce. That was before adding it to the oils or adding anything at all. I ended up not using that lye mixture because I wasn't sure what it would do to the soap and I didn't want to waste any of my oils.

Any idea what went wrong? Could I have still used the lye and oatmilk?

Latest posts

Back