Weight question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrubbie

Reaction score
Quick question:
I read a description of a soap and it said 25 percent milk. Is it 25 percent milk to water soultion of 25 percent of the weight? I am cornfused

By the way since I started learning and loving this hobby and art form, I have been a lurker on here perptually :lol: Irish Lass and Care bear you guys where right my rice brand oil soap hardened so nicely it is a amazing soap. The only thing I dont like is the calendula on top looks wilted.

lizshade said:
Quick question:
I read a description of a soap and it said 25 percent milk. Is it 25 percent milk to water soultion of 25 percent of the weight? I am cornfused

Your guess is as good as mine! :lol: Unless the soapmaker was forthcoming as to how she/he figured the milk in, we'll never know. Having said that, if I were the one making the soap, it would be 25% of my water amount. But that's just me and how I do things.

IrishLass :)

Edited to add: I'm glad your soap turned out well. :)

If it was an experienced soap maker than I am guessing it was 25% of the oil weight. I prefer to use less water as it lets me unmold faster, but since you are a beginner I would do what Irishlass suggested and use the milk as 25% of your water. Don't forget to freeze it though and mix in as a slush to avoid it burning...good luck :)

I list my Goat Milk as 36% and that is a percentage of oil - so all of my liquid is GM. I also use full fluid because it is GM and I want to get the most I can in each batch of soap.

If I do a vegan soap I will use water (rain) and my percentage to oil is much less than 36%.

Hope that makes sense.

it would typically mean that 25% of your liquid will be milk.

if you are doing only 25% of the liquid as milk, I'd just add the milk after you combine your oils and lye solution - then you don't have to play around with slush and all that.

Sorry for going against the grain here but if a description of a soap says that it has 25% of something I expect to find 25% of that ingredient in the product. However if it is 'made with' 25% milk solution or some other similar description I would not expect the former. I'm confused as to why anyone wouldn't state the actual percentage of the ingredient in the final product. It's not hard to work out and seems so misleading otherwise.

I feel that when describing products for customers sellers should be clear and concise about what is in the product. This is because not all customers understand soap making and to let someone walk off thinking 25% of their bar is milk seems a bit unfair.

Seeing as I often read posts by customers asking for soap recipes without lye because a seller said their soap was lye-free I think is even more of a sign that as a seller you can't be too careful about what you say about your soaps.

This is all just my opinion and not meant to upset anyone, just confused how someone can label a bar 25% milk when there isn't 25% milk in the product :(

Latest posts

Back