Quantcast

We have found a house!

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Primrose

Reaction score
Oh I am so so so so so so so so so so so so (can I add more so's?) relieved

I have just got off the phone from the real estate agent that we have been accepted for a new rental property. Its very old and run down and will need a lot of work from us to get it back up to scratch but it has acreage and stables for my goaties, sheds for my partners cars, and a little old granny flat that we will try to renovate to turn into my soap room - at the moment it has a bee hive living in the roof ... eek!

Soap shack.jpg

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations. That run down building can certainly be fixed into a nice soaping shed. As long as you have the basic requirements you need the rest will follow with time.

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations and what a relief. Acreage and a soaping shed - nice!

Primrose

Reaction score
Yeah definitely - I have friends with both bee and building experience so should be able to sort it out. It's not a deal breaker if I can't use it I can keep soaping in the house. But it's a good potential. Mostly it just has stables and land for the goats, sheds for the cars and a house for us so it's all good. Soaping shed is just a possible icing on the cake

Inside the soaping shack ... And stables. So many goa20181208_141728.jpg 20181208_141804.jpg 20181208_141755.jpg 20181208_141653.jpg t stables.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Dawni

Reaction score
My mind is already popping out ideas for that shed lol.. Congratulations! :D

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations!!! I know the pain and misery of home buying first hand, so I think you did exceptionally well! I, too, would have gone with that property because the possibilities are endless on that granny flat, and the barn would be so easy to renovate.

Please call your local county extension office for a list of local beekeepers that would be willing to come get those bees. It is easy for an experienced beekeeper to take care of, and they do it for free as they get a viable swarm out of it.

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am also jealous, I know I would fix up that little Granny Flat and make it work. The stove is wonderful.

Dawni

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I can see the possibilities, too. I'm a little jealous! (Loving that little wood stove)
That caught my eye too! We don't have those here.. Maybe some old houses do but they're rare. People cooked directly on top of the wood lol

Relle

Administrator & Bunny Fanatic
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Congratulations!!! I know the pain and misery of home buying first hand, so I think you did exceptionally well! I, too, would have gone with that property because the possibilities are endless on that granny flat, and the barn would be so easy to renovate.

Please call your local county extension office for a list of local beekeepers that would be willing to come get those bees. It is easy for an experienced beekeeper to take care of, and they do it for free as they get a viable swarm out of it.
Susie, primrose is renting, not buying and in Australia. I have no idea, what a county extension officer is :confused:, we don't have those here.

Primrose

Reaction score

Yes unfortunately only renting :( this would be a $3 million dollar property when it sells as it will be developed. So definitely not something for a first home buyer lol I would love to win lotto and buy it haha

I have talked with several beekeepers and here they only collect swarms for free not hives/nests. Only some do "cut outs" which are costly because it needs specialized equipment and is labor intensive. The complicating factor is that the building is most likely asbestos so a cut out is going to be more difficult.

A friend who is a beekeeper and also a builder suggested the easiest and cheapest option may well be to just seal the roof/wall and trap them in so they die.

I'd prefer them be removed rather than killed, but if the quotes are too expensive it might be an option.

A friend suggested I should have them captured and put in a hive so I could make my own honey for my soap hahaha

Relle

Administrator & Bunny Fanatic
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Primrose, why can't you ask the real estate agent to have them removed before you move in, it should be their problem not yours.

Primrose

Reaction score
I asked, they won't. We chose to take on the property anyway