We have found a house!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primrose

Reaction score
Oh I am so so so so so so so so so so so so (can I add more so's?) relieved

I have just got off the phone from the real estate agent that we have been accepted for a new rental property. Its very old and run down and will need a lot of work from us to get it back up to scratch but it has acreage and stables for my goaties, sheds for my partners cars, and a little old granny flat that we will try to renovate to turn into my soap room - at the moment it has a bee hive living in the roof ... eek!

Soap shack.jpg

Yeah definitely - I have friends with both bee and building experience so should be able to sort it out. It's not a deal breaker if I can't use it I can keep soaping in the house. But it's a good potential. Mostly it just has stables and land for the goats, sheds for the cars and a house for us so it's all good. Soaping shed is just a possible icing on the cake

Inside the soaping shack ... And stables. So many goa
20181208_141728.jpg
20181208_141804.jpg
20181208_141755.jpg
20181208_141653.jpg
t stables.

Attachments

• 20181208_141532.jpg
    20181208_141532.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
My mind is already popping out ideas for that shed lol.. Congratulations! :D

Congratulations!!! I know the pain and misery of home buying first hand, so I think you did exceptionally well! I, too, would have gone with that property because the possibilities are endless on that granny flat, and the barn would be so easy to renovate.

Please call your local county extension office for a list of local beekeepers that would be willing to come get those bees. It is easy for an experienced beekeeper to take care of, and they do it for free as they get a viable swarm out of it.

Oh yeah, I can see the possibilities, too. I'm a little jealous! (Loving that little wood stove)
That caught my eye too! We don't have those here.. Maybe some old houses do but they're rare. People cooked directly on top of the wood lol

Congratulations!!! I know the pain and misery of home buying first hand, so I think you did exceptionally well! I, too, would have gone with that property because the possibilities are endless on that granny flat, and the barn would be so easy to renovate.

Please call your local county extension office for a list of local beekeepers that would be willing to come get those bees. It is easy for an experienced beekeeper to take care of, and they do it for free as they get a viable swarm out of it.

Susie, primrose is renting, not buying and in Australia. I have no idea, what a county extension officer is :confused:, we don't have those here.

Yes unfortunately only renting :( this would be a $3 million dollar property when it sells as it will be developed. So definitely not something for a first home buyer lol I would love to win lotto and buy it haha

I have talked with several beekeepers and here they only collect swarms for free not hives/nests. Only some do "cut outs" which are costly because it needs specialized equipment and is labor intensive. The complicating factor is that the building is most likely asbestos so a cut out is going to be more difficult.

A friend who is a beekeeper and also a builder suggested the easiest and cheapest option may well be to just seal the roof/wall and trap them in so they die.

I'd prefer them be removed rather than killed, but if the quotes are too expensive it might be an option.

A friend suggested I should have them captured and put in a hive so I could make my own honey for my soap hahaha

Primrose, why can't you ask the real estate agent to have them removed before you move in, it should be their problem not yours.

I asked, they won't. We chose to take on the property anyway

Latest posts

Back