Water %

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapwn

Reaction score
I see that web soap calculators calculate water at 38%
In some of them the percentage of water can be changed by the user.
I have seen that some of the members here follow a water discount. I recently saw someone’s recipe with 28% water.
Is 38% the right percentage of water for any soap, no matter hot or cold process?
Is there any benefit for reducing the water? Does the soap cure earlier?

Thank you!

I am no expert so someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of adjusting the water allows for quicker trace, a denser soap at pour and immediately after and less water to evaporate out during cure. However, you should still cure for the 4-6 weeks and never go less than a 1 to 1 ratio of lye to water. And I don't think altering the water amount does anything else to the soap qualities itself.

discounting water depends on a few things...28% water is good for beginners...after a few successful batches then 33% (water/lye 2:1) should be good...the less water the faster the soap will trace and the more reactive it will be to f/o's and soaping temps...you can change soapcalc's lye/water ration simply by clicking on the next line below the 38% default and insert 33.

I have had mixed results with HP, so I will let the more talented here chime in on that.

Last edited:
discounting water depends on a few things...28% water is good for beginners...after a few successful batches then 33% (water/lye 2:1) should be good...the less water the faster the soap will trace and the more reactive it will be to f/o's and soaping temps...you can change soapcalc's lye/water ration simply by clicking on the next line below the 28% default and insert 33.

I have had mixed results with HP, so I will let the more talented here chime in on that.

did you mean 38% for beginners?

The 38% water as a default refers to water as a percent of oils, NOT to a ratio of lye to water. Most soapers that refer to a water discount are talking about a stronger concentration of lye to water, and that will depend on your amount of lye which depends on which oils you are using. Yes, 38% water as a percent of oils is considered full water and is a good starting point for beginners.

I use "full water" (anywhere from 38% water as a percent of oils to 33% solution or 2:1 water to lye) for all my HP soaps and milk soaps, and only take a water discount with CP castille or bastille soaps. That's just my personal preference.

You need at least as much water as lye to completely dissolve all your lye at room temperature.

No, a water discount does not speed up cure time.

Back