Water Soluble Dyes and Preservatives?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m thinking about switching from micas to water soluble dyes for my bath bombs, bubble bars, and whipped scrub so that I can get more vivid colors and stop using Poly 80. But here’s my question. To use water soluble dyes, I know you have to “bloom” them by mixing them in water first before adding them to your product. Since you mix them with water, does that mean I then need to add a preservative?

Thanks!
Stacie

Hi everyone! I’m thinking about switching from micas to water soluble dyes for my bath bombs, bubble bars, and whipped scrub so that I can get more vivid colors and stop using Poly 80. But here’s my question. To use water soluble dyes, I know you have to “bloom” them by mixing them in water first before adding them to your product. Since you mix them with water, does that mean I then need to add a preservative?

Thanks!
Stacie
I only have limited experience so hopefully someone else will chime in too, but I have used lake dyes in bath bombs just straight out of the packet, and it worked great. I didn’t add any additional water apart from the usual “spritz” and still got very vivid color.

Hi DisneyMom,

For my scrubs, I always use preservative since water is inevitably going to be introduced when someone uses the product.

My lake dyes will bloom with alcohol, oils, or water. I use oil in my bath bombs - so get a nice color. Of course, I still use Poly since I like to suspend the oils in the bath water when someone uses it.... so I know that won't help you. But, you should be able to use alcohol to bloom the color and not need Poly or a preservative. I think even the FO or EO would bloom it.

I agree with snappy llama on all accounts. I use lakes in bath bombs along with PS80. Scrubs, always preservative. I don’t know what my customers will so with the. I know I use wet hands myself in the shower.

I agree with snappy llama on all accounts. I use lakes in bath bombs along with PS80. Scrubs, always preservative. I don’t know what my customers will so with the. I know I use wet hands myself in the shower.
Hi DisneyMom,

For my scrubs, I always use preservative since water is inevitably going to be introduced when someone uses the product.

My lake dyes will bloom with alcohol, oils, or water. I use oil in my bath bombs - so get a nice color. Of course, I still use Poly since I like to suspend the oils in the bath water when someone uses it.... so I know that won't help you. But, you should be able to use alcohol to bloom the color and not need Poly or a preservative. I think even the FO or EO would bloom it.

Ohhhh! I didn’t know you could bloom in oil or alcohol. Well, that solves that issue. Now I feel kinda stupid.:D Lol

I already use optiphan in my scrubs, so I was mostly concerned about bath bombs. Thanks for the advice and help!

Latest posts

Back