Water:Lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathymzr

Reaction score
Hi! Can someone explain whether a water:lye ratio of 3:1 is ok? Why would you Change it to 2:1?
Would that just mean less water? If less water is less to evaporate, what is the criteria for using less water? If CP soap needs several weeks to cure anyway, what are other criteria for using less water? I’d like to get a better handle on the difference.

Yes, it just means you're using less liquid. The biggest reason for not using 3:1 is that: 1. Takes longer for evaporation 2. More prone to glycerin rivers 3. Heat much more than with lower water. I like 2.5:1 or 2:1 depending on my recipe. 33% lye concentration is the most popular I think. This would be for CP. HP it's usually good to keep it at 3:1 due tot he heat.

DeeAnna has some great information for reading as well:

https://classicbells.com/soap/soapyStuff.asp

3:1 lye ratio is ok if you're HPing and your method is to keep lifting the lid off to stir, because you'll be losing some of that liquid when it evaporates. I noticed you can get away with a little less if you're the type to keep the lid on.

In my opinion, even in HP, it still depends on your recipe. I've used less than 3:1 in HP and not always is it unbearably gloppy. Some of those, you can still swirl even. Too much water will cause your soap to warp over time so I've experimented with less.

Can someone explain whether a water:lye ratio of 3:1 is ok? Why would you Change it to 2:1?
Would that just mean less water? If less water is less to evaporate, what is the criteria for using less water? If CP soap needs several weeks to cure anyway, what are other criteria for using less water?
You can use 3:1 (25% concentration) but it will really depend on your recipe. I used 3:1 successfully for several years without any affect to my soaps - no warping - but I think that has to do with the fact that I have a high percentage of hard oils in my recipe. Just my observation from when I would play with my recipe to a lower % of hard oils so I could intricate swirls, those bars would warp. They [higher water bars] do take a bit longer to stop losing weight from evaporation - but really not much in the long run, a week longer maybe. But that also depends on the conditions. My soaps are on open shelves in a room with a dehumidifier. The temp varies depending on the time of year, warmer in the summer so I might add a few more days to my cure time.

I would change to 2:1 (33% concentration) for a regular recipe. Right now I'm using 30% concentration (I think that's 2.3:1 ratio).

Yes, the lower the first number in the water to lye ratio = less water used in recipe.

Mostly I judge how much water to use by what design and additives I'm doing with the soap - a single color soap with a nonaccelerating FO would benefit from having less water, simply because all that needs to be done is mix and pour into the mold. An intricate swirl might need more water to help with fluidity - although I would be more inclined to adjust my recipe before I adjust the water. I think that would just be a better soap practice to begin with.

I think overall, you should use a concentration that performs well with your recipe, and gives you consistent results. I tend to stick with one concentration regardless of what I'm doing. There are guidelines such as 3:1 is the most water, and 1:1 is the least water, but what you actually use within that range is up to you, your recipe, and the results you want to achieve.

I should mention that I like glycerin rivers, and I don't particularly care if my soap gels, doesn't gel, or only partially gels, as long as it doesn't overheat, scorch, and crack, I'm a not so fussy soapmaker in that respect. So Shari's advice regarding why not to use 3:1 is pretty sound if you care about those things.

Oh! Thanks! That made sense! I haven’t had problems, which is why I asked. I’m going to migrate to HP soon, so this helped clarify. Also, I do tend to like to use hard oils, though that might change! Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back