Water discount

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chychy26

Reaction score
I have tried to figure this out, but I'm still lost. I have read that superfatting is the same as a water discount. Or maybe I thought that's what I read. I'd assume that superfatting is the same as a lye discount.

Aside from that, please help me figure out how to have a stronger lye concentration/water discount. If a recipe calls for 11.5 oz of water, how do I calculate the discount percentage? The weight of the oils is 32 oz (2 lbs). Sorry for asking this, but I really don't get it. Thanks :)

Superfatting is a lye discount. A water discount is a higher concentration in your lye water mix but not more than what your recipe calls for. Less water is for more experienced soapers as it can speed things up drastically. The only thing less water will do in the end is dry and harden faster. You still need same cure times. HTH

As far as calculating the water discounts, you do it right in the lye calculator, or at least that is how soapcalc works. I am not familiar with other ones.

I just slowly discounted my water till I felt comfortable with how my soap came out. If, for instance, you are using the water as % of oil weight tab, lower the default from 38% to 36%

Or if you use lye concentration, 27% is full water (I think) so try 30%, and so on. You can't go beyond a 50% solution. :) 33% is usually comfortable for me.

Soap calc will tell you how much water to use once you plug in the numbers.

Thanks for sharing this because I was completely confused. Great info ToniD! Thanks again!

I still have a question about water discount. There is this girl in another forum, she said that using water discount may lead to the formation of alkali precipitate. And that precipitate will burn skin. Is that also one weak point of water discount? She also said only really experienced soaper can do water discount.

sorry, I do not know anything about alkali precipitate, but I do a water discount of 38% and I love it. It DOES speed things up ALOT! Last week I forgot to change the water discount on soap calc (lye concentration) box on one of my batches, and now the soap will take FOREVER to dry :-( Also, the other day I tried a 35% water discount, and my soap does seem a lot more softer because of the additional water. I can't wait until it finishes curing!

ToniD said:
As far as calculating the water discounts, you do it right in the lye calculator, or at least that is how soapcalc works. I am not familiar with other ones.

I just slowly discounted my water till I felt comfortable with how my soap came out. If, for instance, you are using the water as % of oil weight tab, lower the default from 38% to 36%

Or if you use lye concentration, 27% is full water (I think) so try 30%, and so on. You can't go beyond a 50% solution. :) 33% is usually comfortable for me.

Soap calc will tell you how much water to use once you plug in the numbers.

I use the excel calc from Bill & Theresa Lott but modified it so I can change superfat %. This spreadsheet calculates % of Oil at 36%. I want to try water discounting - what is the lowest you can go? I use GM and very comfortable with 36% but if I can cut cure time or help my Castile get harder faster that would be great...

Back