Want to start making CP Soap....Need advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lavender.dreams.candles

Reaction score
I'm going to buy the CP start kit from BCN and for those of you who make CP can you tell me how much this kit would approximately make??( I know this is probably a stupid question)....But, I'm pretty stupid until I get things started and being this is my first time .... Well, I'm trying to learn.

Also, do I have to use geltone colored dyes ??.... I have liquid soap dyes .... Or is there someplace that sell the geltones for a reasonable price???
I've watched videos and read and read instructions on how to make CP soap and I really want to do this.

So, now what are some other opinions on Oils to use ??

where else do they sell CP kits like this one from BCN???

Hmmm - I've never seen a CP starter kit before so I can't answer your questions about it. I can tell you that as long as you double check your recipes with a Lye Calculator all you need is Lye, Water, and you oils/fats.

The oils are easily available at any supermarket - you can make soap with just Olive Oil which is a Castille Soap. For that one your ingredients would be Olive Oil, Water & Lye plus any fragrance you might want to try although I personally recommend making your first batch a plain one so you know what to expect.

I would recommend going to Miller Soap (http://www.millersoap.com/#Soap Contents) and read the recipes and instructions there.

Please keep us updated on your progress and we are all picture addicts here too! :D

I've never heard of kits either. I used a lard, lye, and water recipe for my first batch.

Watch out, it's addictive. :wink:

I was just over at BitterCreek North and it looks like their kit makes a 3 lb batch of soap.

Brambleberry also sells a CP kit which looks to be much larger than the BitterCreek one, only the lye is not included like it is with BitterCreek's. You can buy lye on Brambleberry's site, though, if you don't have any. It also does not include the nice wooden mold that Bittercreek gives you in their kit. Instead, Brambleberry inclused a plastic tray mold. If it were me, I'd go with a wooden mold any day over a plastic tray mold for CP.

If you have soap dyes that are good to use in CP that you're more comfortable with using, go for it! You don't have to use their gel tones if you don't want to.

IrishLass :)

I bought a starter cp kit from Crabapple Soap. It included the lye, but not a wooden mold (a box and trash bag were provided). It was a bit pricey. I believe it cost around $74.00 with the shipping. Before I used it I made a few simple 3 oil batches so I would have a better understanding of what I was doing.

It was a hazelnut capaccino kit which sounded yummy, but I am glad that I started with those very basic- no scent and no color batches. The coconut oil was packaged in a plastic bag which had melted a little and was a bit gooey coming out!
Wish I had thought to keep it in a cooler spot.

Anyway - I learned so much more from the plain very basic batches than from the kit so I am very glad I didn't just jump in with both feet first.

My advice to you would be - start small, think big!! :)

Good luck!

Jude

I've seen the kits at BCN but never used them. I have used their geltone colorants with success but still trying to get a handle on how much to use for CP vs HP.

Personally I got started by reading a good book or two, reading posts on this and other boards, watching videos on Youtube etc..., Visiting the Miller soap site...

... And then once I had a pretty good understanding of things and some confidence, I ordered some basic supplies and picked up what I could locally and just dove right in. The only big mistake I made was trying a recipe from a book without using a calculator... I just didn't know any better. It came out great but it was an 8# batch recipe which used a lot of oils and if it had gone wrong it would have gone REALLY wrong.

Knowing what I know now I would have used one or two fewer oils, no FO, and only a 2# recipe run through soapcalc.

I looked over the kit and it looks like a great deal for someone just starting out and I love the fact they are supplying a decent mold with a lid! How cool is that!

Mickey I did the same thing as you read books, forums, books, websites - more books - gathered all my courage together in both hands and made my first batch of soap. I had played around with M&P years and years ago but it never captured me the way CP has. I made the M&P to get some find of soap. product that I could use since I'm allergic to commercial products. With CP I started out with a 100% EVOO which I still have some bars of and love to death, then I tried a Bastille (EVOO & CO) which are the basics to build other recipes on.

I do agree with everyone here that you are best starting your soaping experiment with 1 or 2 oil soaps. so you can see how they develop from lye emulsion to trace to pour. For me that was my biggest moment of "Ah ha" as I watched the lye & oils emulsify into soap.

Please remember we love to share your soaping journey with you so please keep us posted.

Cheers
Lindy

Go to millersoap.com and read everything there. Go on YouTube and do a search for how-to videos - that really helped me a lot. I'm more of a visual learner and seeing someone demonstrate the process was the best for me after reading everything I could find.

I started with a kit as well. The company sold everything in the kit except the lye. I got the oils, oxide for color, gloves, goggles, FO AND the mold all for around $30... I am soooo glad I started with a kit!! (Not that I couldn't have, but I'm the type of person that needs my hand held the first time I try something - lol) I have been searching for CP kits since (over 6 years) and havent' been able to find any. I'll have to check out BCN.

Anyway, as for your questions, no you don't have to use geltones. Soap dyes might work, but it depends on if they are formulated for CP and the high PH level, or if they are formulated for MP. Sometime MP colors will morph and change color on you and you wont' get the color you had anticipated. Also, like everyone else suggested, just read as much as you can. Have fun!

:)

Well I have to say that you inspired me to send a CP Soap Kit to my sister in Calgary for her birthday since I can't be there to show her how to do it. I got the kit from Voyageur Soap but it doesn't seem to include a mold, definately not a nice wooden once....

I've found that ultramarines and oxides are the colourants that I prefer in CP especially for the blues and greens.....

Lindy said:
I've found that ultramarines and oxides are the colourants that I prefer in CP especially for the blues and greens.....

I've been using liquids and have wanted to try the oxides and micas... do you pre-mix a batch ahead of time with some kind of oil or do you just withhold a bit of your oils from each batch to blend in just what you need each time?

x

the soapmaking kit sounds ideal for starting out. get a few batches under your belt, then you can start experimenting.

in the recipe and tutorial forum there is soapmaker man's (paul) walmart soap recipe which makes a nice bar of soap and you can buy everything there.

then for creative inspiration and some other great recipes you might like to look at www.soap-making-essentials.com

good luck to you and happy soaping! :D

monet

Once I have everything mixed I pull out a bit , mix my powders in and put it back into the batch unless I'm doing a swirl or 2-tone, then I pull out enough for my swirl colour as well and mix in my colourant - I don't pre-mix my colours although I have heard of others that do....

xyxoxy said:
I've been using liquids and have wanted to try the oxides and micas... do you pre-mix a batch ahead of time with some kind of oil or do you just withhold a bit of your oils from each batch to blend in just what you need each time?

I use oxides and ultramarines, too. I mix mine fresh for each batch. I used to mix them with a little glycerin or a little of my oil amount in a cup and then add some raw soap batter to it, stickblend thoroughly, and then add back into my soap pot or else keep it in the cup for a swirl at the end, but now instead of glycerin or oil, I keep back a little bit of my soaping water (about 1 tsp or so) and mix my colors in that before adding some raw soap batter to it. They disperse so much better in water than in the glycerin or oil. With the water, I find I don't need to stickblend so much to thoroughly mix it in with the soap batter.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back