Want purple?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LabWitch

Reaction score
My first adventure with colour. I had no idea how much to use ... now I have some idea!! Um .. not so much! I'm not big on colour, but thought I'd play a bit. This is only the third batch I've made (CP), period. It was a purple liquid soap colourant with a smidge of black liquid colour thrown in for good measure. This shows the colour progression, from just poured, to 24 hours, to cut at 60 hours. I don't think it gelled, as the mold never seemed to get particularly warm.

I tried to equalise the colour balance in these pics.

Just poured:

p822251725-2.jpg

At the 24 hour mark. I assume the blue is where the pH is still high.

p703028455-2.jpg

After cutting (around the 60 hour mark):
p822140400-3.jpg

cwarren said:
it's scary to mix color well , you might end up with a solid mass

thank you

Sorry, I should clarify. This was an in-the-pot-swirl. I meant that I didn't mix the actual colourant enough, before I added it to the soap aliquot.

I agree it turned out pretty! Nice swirls! Did you mix the color in with a stick blender. I know with oxides if I don't use a stick blender I get lots of speckles.

it's really beautiful and a really vivid purple! do u mind if i ask what scent these are?

Thanks for the kind words everyone!
To answer a couple of questions:
When it reached a light trace (stick blended), I put a portion into another pot that had the colourants already in, and hand stirred. I added some Lavender EO to the uncoloured portion and briskly hand stirred, hoping it wouldn't turn too fast. It was definitely accelerating, so I poured the coloured soap into the uncoloured, gave it literally all of 1 1/2 turns with a very large spoon, and poured.

It's kind of growing on me ... it's like staring at Rorshach patterns ... LOL

Latest posts

Back